PDA

View Full Version : Polling players of either sex: Handling Mr. Tips

03-20-2002, 09:09 PM
This is a poll (just for fun now) to determine if - depending on your sex - you are likely or unlikely to offer your knowledge to a person of the opposite sex - as to the best and most statigic way to make a ball,or series of balls if you felt the person may loose if you didn't point it out. please give a good, in your heart of hearts answer:

Comments on this issue have been great...I welcome more.

Thank you.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Manners are to be considered. I always wait for an opportunity that lends itself for a 1x1. Never in front of their friends (male or female)
Then there is the words that are to be considered. "Excuse me, but I noticed that you were blah blah blah, and if you don't mind, I could offer a tip on that... what do you think?"

03-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Ballbreaker, is it common in your poolroom for third-parties to offer suggestions to a player involved in a game??

The reason I ask is because your sentence "and you felt they would lose if you didn't point it out" implies this is occurring in a match. I'm a pretty easy-going guy at the table, but if some guy/gal started offering advice to my opponent during our game, I would not be a happy camper.

- Steve

Kato
03-21-2002, 09:41 AM
If my advice was solicitated I would offer it. I'd never offer advice to someone who didn't ask for it. As far as a woman asking for advice that would be fine. I'd never be the macho guy that saunters up to a lady in distress and says "you should bank that ball using a low, inside spin. A nice firm hit should center cut the pocket allowing the cue ball to naturally channel position on the 8 ball." While perhaps this could be a way to meet ladies I prefer a more subtle approach. Now if a woman asks for your advice then it could be a 2 tier situation. Yes, she may want your advice but she's probably feeling you out a little to see if you might be able to help her game elsewhere.

Kato~~~a bubbling spring of advice just waiting for the first hottie to approach

03-21-2002, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>If my advice was solicitated I would offer it.<hr></blockquote>
I'm the same way, Kato. Occasionally I'll describe how I might've played a shot differently. That's happened a few times with mechanical bridge shots- someone invariably says "I hate using the bridge..." and if I see that they were holding the butt of the bridge in their hand when they didn't have to, I'll say "I like to leave the bridge lying on the table and just steady it with my left hand..." Not so much "advice" as a different point of view...

03-21-2002, 11:59 AM
I FEEL IF SOMEONE ASKED YOU THEN YOU SHOULD GIVE SOME IN PUT. BE IT MALE OR FEMALE .CAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW THAT PERSON YOU JUST HELPED .COULD TURN OUT TO BE A NEW STUDENT AND FRIEND. BECAUSE ONETIME IN OUR PAST SOME ONE HELP US.