PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a reasonably priced home table

03-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Hi!
My name is jmbratter, and I want to be a pool player!! This is my first post here, but I've read some of the threads on tables, but most seem to be regarding commercial tables, not home tables.

The wife and I would like to get a table for our basement. Eight foot is all the room we have. I've looked at Brunswick, Olhausen, AMF and American Heritage. Also, online I seen tables from ZBilliards. We would also consider used tables, as we don't really have more than a $2k budget.

Here's an example of what we'd like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21213&item=2718125 277&rd=1

Shipping/installation would run around $800 for this table, and assuming the auction ended around $1000, we'd have what we want for under $2k. I'm worried about the quality/playability of this table. To get a Brunswick/Olhausen table that looked like this, we're talking around $3k. Something tells me the American Heritage tables are garbage, but I don't know for sure. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I could really use some help here! Thanks!

03-20-2003, 01:46 PM
your best bet is to watch local papers, auctions etc.. you will find a great quality table and save lots of money! look for an 1970s era Brunswick for some great playing tables. If you are a well informed buyer you will find a 2,000-3,000.00 pool table for around 500.00 then pay install and recover and you could be in for around a 1,000.00. you need to know what to look for! I do not reccomend paying and dealing with shipping on a pool table what a nightnmare. Pool tables become a storage device for many people and collect dust while taking up alot of space and people are more than happy to just get rid of it for a great deal as long as you deal with the moving of the table.

teedub
03-21-2003, 11:58 AM
I'm looking for one too. But I want a new one for hopefully around $2500. Any suggesitons on brands in this range?

03-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Well, here's where I'm at. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've pretty much decided that even though the online tables like ZBilliards are very inexpensive for what they look like, they may be made of inferior foreign parts and subject to poor assembly. Also, who knows where these companies will be in a few years if something goes wrong.

So, assuming that I'll stick to major brands like Brunswick, Olhausen, or AMF, I'm leaning towards the Olhausen. They have a pretty decent table for $2199 that has wood rails, but laminate frame. The playability is the same as their more expensive tables, its just the wood vs. laminate issue. Accessories would be extra, which is different from Brunswick. But from what I understand, what Brunswick throws in is real junk, as far as the balls and cues.
So I think I could get into the Olhausen for about $2500 total.
Here's an example:
http://www.olhausenbilliards.com/
On the left side, click on tables, then laminates, and you'll get the idea.

What I'd really like to get is an all-wood table that is really awesome.
click on the same link above, then tables/solidwood/Dona Marie. Now that's the table I'd really like to have!!

Anyway, that's where I'm at. The only other option is to go used. But the problem there is really finding something you like. And add about $800 to move/setup/re-felt.

Nothings easy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

teedub
03-21-2003, 02:02 PM
I just got back from a local retailer/distributor of Olhausen.

They are selling the 8' Augusta (all hard wood) for $2350, the 8' provincial (all hard wood) for $2245, and the 8' Oak Gibralter (laminate?) for $2,150. All prices delivered with aramith balls/ques etc (equipment package).

Its been difficult for me to get any information about good tables vs. average tables etc. Looking in here, it appears as if diamond, gabrial, gold crown etc are the ones to look for, but they may not be in my budget.

I'm assuming Olhausen is pretty good and would fit my needs for the price, but I'm not sure.

03-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Teedub,
Which dealer is that? Those seem like very good prices. Is that delivered and setup?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gifjm

teedub
03-21-2003, 02:40 PM
It is in Independence MO. Art's Billiard Supply Inc. It is delivered and set up (within 15 miles). Over 15 miles (which I am) is is an additional $1 per mile 1 way. So I'd have to come up with about another $50.

I was thinking the prices looked good too, but I don't have a reference point. I've got a bunch of their Olhausen prices written down if you need any for reference.

Not sure where you are at. If not in MO or KS Art's isn't much good to you, but a little info is better than none /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

03-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Teedub - thanks! I'm in New Jersey, but I would like to use those prices as leverage with my Olhausen guy. The cheapest sold-wood table is $2999. The laminates are $2199. With this dealer, all the cues/balls are extra. They say they don't want to just throw in junk like Brunswick does.
Did your dealer give you a price for the Dona Marie? Btw, I don't think the other two you mentioned were solid wood. Go one the Olhausen site and check out the tables under veneer (cheapest) laminate (next step up) and then solid-wood.

Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

teedub
03-21-2003, 03:18 PM
You may be right. I sent you the other prices via message. Happy hunting /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfsburg2
03-22-2003, 11:17 AM
we bought a 7ft olhausen from royal billiards in south brunswick n.j. we got it for $2400 with simonis, aramith, nice floor mount cue rack, and cues, delivered and installed.

it should be in the first week of april. i will let everyone know how i like it.

i found that the online discount pool tables really didn't save you anything. figure even on a table that is $1000, add 4-500 for delivery, 200 for accessory kit, 3-400 for set-up/install, maybe more.

i would rather spend an extra $200 have better cloth, balls, table, and have a place to go if i have trouble. just my .02

#### leonard
03-22-2003, 11:37 AM
I have to second this method as the way to get the most pool table for your buck. I had posted before about the fellow who I gave this same advice of checking the want ads, then buying an old Brunswick Pfister for 1200 the same table Blatt in NYC wanted 32,000 for.
Antique dealers are aware of the value of old pool tables so auctions usually arn't the place to get a table cheap. Most home tables become the folding table for the laundry.####

NBC-BOB
03-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Well the problem with buying a used table is the cost of moving the table.In the NY area I found it to be around $350.For 2k I think you could get a nice new table from several manufacturers.Whatever you decide to buy,I would recommend that you put the simonis 860 cloth on it. It seems to be the most used cloth and then when you go out and play your speed adjustment won't be affected by playing on a different type of cloth.Buying a good table with 1 inch slate thickness is a good idea and the resale of the table would be easier.Kind of like buying a new car without
AC.Even if you don't use the AC it will increase the resale value.Shop around your area for some dealers and they may have new and used tables. good luck!

wolfsburg2
03-24-2003, 08:49 AM
i agree shipping is a bear, then you have a minimum of 300 for set-up. we went with the olhausen for many reasons, including price, reputation, lifetime warranty on everything etc.

03-24-2003, 09:38 AM
$350 would be a bargain!

I've had quotes between $6-800 to move/setup/refelt.

We're leaning towards the Olhausen Drake II. Its a combo of wood and laminate, but its a step up from the vaneers which do not have a lifetime warranty (apparently the rails are of lower quality on the vaneers).
Should be around $2-2200.