PDA

View Full Version : Accu-Billiards, New Bedford, MA ?

John in NH
03-20-2003, 11:21 AM
Hi All,

Am interested in feedback regarding the Accu-Billiards tournament currently going on in New Bedford, MA, it is a 9-ball one Week-end per Month event open to A, B, C, D players with a separate tournament for each category, is scheduled to run through to (Began in January) December, 2003.

I am weighing the following questions in regards to the tournament:

Has the tournament been successful?

Is it worth it for me to drive two hours each way to the tournament site (8 hours for the week-end) just to enter the tournament?

Because of the long distances that I have to travel to enter tournaments I have not seen fit to enter any, while I have considered the Monday tournaments held in Chelmsford, MA (one half hour away), I have not entered because it is a handicapped tournament with too much to overcome, (it is exhausting to play against 3's and 4's and to give away so much weight).

My skill level is somewhere between an A or B, the description of my game fits an A player except for safety play which falls somewhere in the B or B- range, many of the close matches that I have lost over the years have been due to my poor safety play, also! I lack tournament experience, which would inhibit my success at first.

How would you rate me if you were the tournament director?

A or B?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Regards,

John

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Perk
03-20-2003, 02:09 PM
Sounds like fun. 2 hour road trip for a tourney. We have to do that all the time here in Michigan to get to the good tourneys. (I dont live in Detroit).

Well, your first question was "Is it worth it?" Well, you mentioned tourney experience was limited, so I say YES. I would make it an attempt to just sleep in a hotel, kinda like a vacation. Split rooms if ya have to to keep the expenses down. More importantly have fun and relax, not worrying about the return and return trip.

The next was a question "What would I rate ya as a TD?" Well, odds are that if you lack tourney experience you are an unknown and a "B" would probably work. Heck, you could heckle for a "C" tourney.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

If you are a legitimate B to A player, you probably can get some action that is comparable to yours. Battle out for small amounts if ya have to to gain experience under pressure and maybe help support the hotel situation.

Good Luck!

TomBrooklyn
03-20-2003, 02:29 PM
The TDs I've seen in action tend to prefer to rank an unknown player higher rather than lower when there is any doubt. They would rather risk making you a little unhappy for a while and lowering your ranking after you play in a few events if necessary, then making a lot of people unhappy because you had an overly generous handicap as a newcomer and won a lot of matches that you were percieved to have an unfair advantage in or percieved as "robbing" the whole tournament.

Perk
03-20-2003, 02:40 PM
I agree Tom, but most tourney directors will give you the benefit of doubt at the top levels. Odds are that shooters around the area recognize the "A" players. IMO

cueball1950
03-20-2003, 09:06 PM
Hi John. After seeing you play at the CCB Tournament in Virginia last September i would rate you a strong B To B Plus. Mike X who owns accu billiards in New Bewdford runs a prety straight up tournament. I understand from other people that it has been pretty successful in the past years. I would say to give it a try and see how you like it. That is the only way to find out for sure if it is for you. By the way. Are you going to the Open this year. And tell your wife i said hello................Mike