PDA

View Full Version : Lake Superior Wood

charlieb
03-20-2003, 11:48 PM
A couple of yrs ago there were posts on this board about some wood found in Lake Superior. The wood alledgedly had been there for several hundred yrs. There were some posts that someone had access to the wood and was going to make some shafts. Anyone here remember the posts? If so do you know if anyone actually made some shafts? And if so, how did they hit?

qSHAFT
03-21-2003, 12:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote charlieb:</font><hr>And if so, how did they hit? <hr /></blockquote>

They had a superior hit! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Couldn't help myself - qSHAFT

Kato
03-21-2003, 07:08 AM
My roomate is in the cue making business. He confirmed that his shop got an amount of this wood (or knew a shop that got this wood). Said it was quite impressive. There was a lot more to the conversation but I'd certainly misquote.

Kato

TomBrooklyn
03-21-2003, 10:16 AM
I'm impressed that the wood wasn't rotted. Is maple what is used for dock and bulkhead pilings?

Kato
03-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Tom, I thought the same thing. I'll ask him tonight when I see him. I'm not sure if the outside petrified and the inside is still pure or what. Somebody was diving and found them. I believe what I remember him telling me was that they used to (or still do) use the lakes to transport large logs. Some of the logs went over board for whatever reason and it was decided that they weren't worth going after (huge salvage operation).

Kato

DLB
03-21-2003, 10:33 AM
Paul Dayton of Dayton Cues in Florida has that shaft wood and it does have a very good hit. He has a story about this wood titled "One hundred Year Old Wood" on his web site, daytoncues.com He also make a very nice custom cue.
David Bryant

Wally_in_Cincy
03-21-2003, 10:34 AM
I don't know how cold it is at the bottom of that lake but wood won't rot if it's cold enough.

Cueless Joey
03-21-2003, 11:07 AM
You would think but these wood were still very good inside. Apparently they only rotted about 6 inches deep due to freezing temperature.
This was actually on primetime news yrs ago. The birdseye lumber were impressive. Tons of "eyes".
I had a old growth maple shaft made by Chester Krick one time. It was yellowish in color and was quite stiff.

UWPoolGod
03-21-2003, 04:14 PM
I hit with a superior shaft on a dealers Runde cue and it hit sweet. There were birdseyes showing through adding to it. He said that because the wood was hundreds of years old the rings were super compacted making less squirt. I don't remember the actual numbers for rings-per-millimeter, but it was around 3 times more than the rock maple shafts wood. I could be wrong...that was 5 years ago.

Todd Speakman