PDA

View Full Version : predator upgrade-ever heard of such a thing?

mike_in_iowa
03-21-2003, 04:41 PM
at the valley state tourney last weekend the cue repair man was doing performance upgrades to 314 shafts. the plan was I believe to increase the feel of the shaft yet keep the deflection properties.
what he was doing was making a bigger hole in the front of the shaft and putting an insert in and putting a small ivory ferrule and moori tip. I did not get to hit with one but it was pricey $135. ever heard of it? I am always looking for a way to improve my shafts but by the time I upgrade(if it works) I will have 300 bones into it. Kinda scary

mike athens

PQQLK9
03-22-2003, 09:08 AM
There is a guy in Charlotte that does the same thing for $50.00 (Kevin Varney) 704-522-8852 or he will make you his version of an improved predator. I can recommend him because he does good work .( does a lot of cue work for the WPBA players.

Harold Acosta
03-22-2003, 11:29 AM
The only upgrade that a Predator Shaft should undergo is the trash can! LOL

On a serious note, the only thing that could be done to upgrade this shaft is filling the hole with a wood tenon, which would make for a much solid hit. The Ivory Ferrule and Moori tip would be just a perk to ask for the $135.00 price which is not bad considering the retail cost of the Ivory ferrule and Moori tip.

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Ward
03-22-2003, 11:42 AM
Harold

You are a bitter man (LOL).

Later

John G
03-23-2003, 11:54 PM
I don't understand how that would be a performance upgrade that would be in keeping with Predators claim of lower deflection. The purpose of the hole drilled and filled with foam is to reduce weight in the tip area. This and thier propriotary ferrule (including wall thickness). If you replace the ferrule with Ivory and put a tenon in the hole all you have left is a very stiff shaft with a hard ferrule.

I'll not offer my opinion on Predators claim because that's all it would be, my opinion. I will however suggest that if you believe in what they claim enough to buy one then have enough trust the theory to use it as it comes. Otherwise save yourself money and buy something else.
John G

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 05:06 AM
I visited the predator booth at vf on saturday. They have added some new technology into the butt of the new predator 2, which enables the user to feel the shot better and take any vibration out. There are a bunch of technical aspects, but the stick does, imo, have a better feel than my regular preditor. It has the same good hit but a better feel. For folks who like the preditor, it might be an option, but it is alfully pricey at this point. Actually it costs more than my custom cue I got from Blackheart (jerry eick).

Laura

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 05:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ward:</font><hr> Harold

You are a bitter man (LOL).

Later <hr /></blockquote>

Why knock the predator? For a production cue, it is a very good cue. It hits well. That is not to say that other cues are not good too.

MY predator sneaky pete is a fine cue. Obviously I prefer my custom cue, but the sp is a good hitting cue.

Laura