PDA

View Full Version : War, Why Longer Than Expected, It Seems....

Sid_Vicious
03-23-2003, 08:48 AM
I hear Bush already saying that the war is expected to be more difficult and longer than expected. Is it just me or doesn't it seem that our troops are running into less than expected resistance, the timeline as Franks keeps saying is on schedule, we've dodged most all of their aiti aircraft...except for Saddam not sticking his arms up in the air and saying "I give up!", just how much MORE positive can the war sound, as wars go? Seriously, what's the downside in this war to be causing Bush to state that the war is already going to be longer? If he seriously thought Saddam would surrrender with this "halfway done" shock and awe(didn't shock me at all, nor the kids resuming their street games) Bush is far more niave than even I gave him credit of being...sid

eg8r
03-23-2003, 11:15 AM
Sid, I was a little surprised about Bush after watching Tommy Franks. One reason I think Bush might be saying this is because he never gave a timeline for the war. The media did give everyone hope that this would be very quick, but I don't remember the Bush administration ever being as optimistic. I did get the feeling that Bush thought it would be quick, and on most accounts it is moving faster than Desert Storm, but it will definitely not be over in a couple days. On another thread someone posted that we will have a serious problem when the fighting moves from the desert and into the cities. Well, Basra did not seem near as tough as Franks was expecting.

I was reading another board that was arguing about which news channel to watch all this coverage. I bounce between every station my sorry TVMax cable provides. It is funny to see, Fox News shows a more upbeat type broadcast. Fox covers everything that is happening but they do show a lot of the surrendering sodiers. CNN does not show anything until that is undisputable fact and is soooo slow in bringing new stuff to the tube that you could hear just about everything on your local station first. MSNBC is more of an alarmist station and they seem to dwell more on the things that did not go as planned.

I know that each station has their own agenda and point of view, so I watch all of them to make sure I can each of their points of view. All three have backpedalled a little in their aggressive timelines.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
03-23-2003, 01:59 PM
That makes sense, besides if the Admin states it to be a longer battle and it ends sooner,,,hey I'd find that politically smarter then suggesting it was going to be quick and then it isn't. Fact is though that we haven't entered men on the streets of Bagdad, and that's when all the rules will change...sid