PDA

View Full Version : instructional videos

helengene
03-23-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi, does anyone have suggestions for just basic instructional videos (or DVD's) on pool playing? I would appreciate any help...titles and/or locations where I might find such videos? Thanks!

SecaucusFats
03-23-2003, 09:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote helengene:</font><hr> Hi, does anyone have suggestions for just basic instructional videos (or DVD's) on pool playing? I would appreciate any help...titles and/or locations where I might find such videos? Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

Here are three that I highly recommend:

1) "Byrne's Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards-Volume I"
by Robert Byrne
2) "Byrne's Standard Video Of Pool and Billiards-Volume II"
3) "How To Play Pool Right" BCA (Billiard Congress of America) Master Instructor Jerry Briesath.

You can purchase them online thru:
http://www.billiardfanatic.com/

Get them. I know they will help you learn the fundamentals. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fats

shoot2thrill
07-13-2003, 08:42 AM
the best videos you can buy is jimmy reids (no time for negitive)and (the art of 8-ball)he has a site that is awsome its freepoollessons.com there is stuff on his site that is the best around and jimmy always there for you with e-mails tell him BIG JIM W.sent you he's a really good freind

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Before the days of computers, websites, and instructional videos, Jimmy Reid was one of the few top players who took me under his wing, always giving me good advice.

At the last U.S. Open, I was experiencing a little inconsistency in executing a few of my standard shots while practicing. Jimmy noticed my dilemma and told me to address the ball a little differently than I was doing, something he did show me a long time ago, and it did improve my comfort level. He is one of the true legends out there that I respect, as a friend and mentor, and I think his instructional videos would be a must-have for folks learning the basics. It helps to practice good habits from the start, and it is harder to change bad habits once developed.

Earthquake

Alfie
07-13-2003, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr>At the last U.S. Open, I was experiencing a little inconsistency in executing a few of my standard shots while practicing. Jimmy noticed my dilemma and told me to address the ball a little differently than I was doing, something he did show me a long time ago, and it did improve my comfort level. <hr /></blockquote>Did he tell you to use a little more of a side armed stroke? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 11:13 AM
As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. What works for me may not work for others, but there are some basic fundamentals that need to be reinforced from time to time. There aren't very many folks around anymore with his level of expertise, and having Jimmy as an objective bystander would improve anybody's game, including mine.

Earthquake

Alfie
07-13-2003, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> There aren't very many folks around anymore with his level of expertise, and having Jimmy as an objective bystander would improve anybody's game, including mine.<hr /></blockquote>Well, what did he tell you?

Keith McCready
07-13-2003, 06:28 PM
While practicing, he observed that I was standing a little too much upward. I wasn't down far enough on the ball, and he suggested that I try to get down a little farther, than where I was, when addressing the ball.

Earthquake

bluewolf
07-14-2003, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith McCready:</font><hr> While practicing, he observed that I was standing a little too much upward. I wasn't down far enough on the ball, and he suggested that I try to get down a little farther, than where I was, when addressing the ball.

Earthquake <hr /></blockquote>

How did this affect your play, being too upright? I was a little (2 inches) too low, resulting in a stroke that was somewhat inconsistent. When i went up two inches, it straightened out nicely.

This is a recent change, so I still have to concentrate on this part of my fundamentals. Hope one day, all of that will just be natural without having to check on it each time I address the ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Amazing things a good instructor will notice and what you can learn from watching a good stroke on a video. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BW

helengene
07-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Thank you, thank you so very much....the website is fantastic! In fact, it already has been a great help to me! Sincerely, helen

Keith McCready
07-15-2003, 04:58 AM
I have different stances when I approach the table, depending on the shot. There are times when I need to be more upward, and there are times when I should be more downward. When in the heat of battle, of course, we are not thinking about how high or low we are on the ball. We usually shoot instinctively, and that is why it is important for all of us to have a tune-up every now and then.

Earthquake

pooltchr
07-15-2003, 08:38 AM
Great point, Keith. I am a BCA instructor, and find it easy to help others fine tune their stroke, but while shooting a bit with Scott Lee lately, he spotted a couple of things in my stroke that I couldn't see myself. That second pair of eyes observing sure comes in handy as long as they know what to look for.

07-28-2003, 08:30 PM
If I can tag on to this topic,
Keith McCready:
I have a hard time knowing how to stand when the cueball is located in akward positions. How do you stand on different shots? I learned the basic stance. But when stretching for a shot etc. It is not easy to know what is right. Could you tell me what is right?

THANKZ

pooltchr
07-30-2003, 09:17 AM
If I can offer my.02 on this question, the best stance for an awkward reach is going to be what is most comfortable and still gives you the best balance possible. You might have to get creative with a leg up on the rail or something a bit unusual. If you can't get comfortable and STABLE, then the best option might be getting the mechanical bridge. I know everybody hates the things, but believe me, it's better than trying to shoot while off balance.