PDA

View Full Version : lighter fluid

03-23-2003, 01:43 PM
How does lighter fluid effect the finish on a shaft? I thought that it would strip it off.

TommyT
03-23-2003, 02:45 PM
There should be no finish on the shaft.

03-23-2003, 02:56 PM
The last time I had my shaft "re-finished", my cue man used beeswax. That is what I meant by "finish".

Troy
03-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Light fluid won't strip a finish, but it will remove wax redidue, dirt, etc. If buffed or burnished after cleaned with lighter fluid, the shaft will be very smooth.

Any wax will become sticky from use unless very well buffed/burnished. That's why I quit using any wax.

Troy

03-23-2003, 05:13 PM
I'm relatively new at this. Am I to believe then that your shaft is bare wood?

Carlton31698
03-23-2003, 05:31 PM
When you buff or burnish a shaft you rub it very hard and fast with 1000 - 2000 grit sand paper, dollar bill, leather, or a brown paper bag ( I'm sure I left out a lot of things you can use) to seal the pores in the wood. Burnishing is a kind of finish, and it is very effective when done right. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Troy
03-23-2003, 06:08 PM
Yes, my shafts have no finish. I have found it's difficult to keep a shaft with a finish from getting sticky with use. The most I do is a final burnish with wax paper.

I have done many shaft cleanings and re-tapers for customers and never put on a finish although I might use a bit of silicon spray on a soft cloth. I use 1000 grit very lightly followed by a burnish with leather while spinning the shaft with a lathe. A similar effect can be done by hand, it just takes more effort and time.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> I'm relatively new at this. Am I to believe then that your shaft is bare wood? <hr /></blockquote>

UWPoolGod
03-24-2003, 03:03 PM
I am having a custom cue made by a local maker, and he leant me a cue to use while mine is being made. It is already getting blue in the grains ..even with "setly" wipe downs and cleaning. He said don't worry about it..he will put it on the lathe when he gets it back. How can I keep this from happening when I finally get my shafts...since I won't have a lathe?

Todd Speakman

03-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Troy,
You stated earlier that you no longer use wax on your shaft. Yet you say that you burnish with wax paper. Won't the heat generated in the burnishing process transfer the wax from the paper to the shaft?

03-24-2003, 05:32 PM
Couple of things.

If you chalk with your stick perpendicular to the floor, the chalk dust may fall from your tip down onto the end of your shaft and/or other hand. Then during your stroke, you just end up rubbing that chalk dust into your shaft. Try chalking with your cue at an angle instead of straight up and down. The chalk will fall to the floor instead of your hand/shaft.

You may have chalk in your case that is getting on your shaft. It got there because it rubbed off of your tip. The best way to keep chalk out of your case is to not put any in. That is to say, remove the chalk from your tip before you put it away. If your case already is lined with chalk, then you might think of getting a new case.

Keep your hands clean. Wash them several times during a session. This will also keep the oils from your hands from getting on your shaft.

Disclaimor:
I am not aware of your chalk/handling/storage/hygiene habbits. These are just a few tips given to me that I am passing on.

By the way, "cash" has been helping ugly people have sex for much longer. LOL.

Regards,
Cap

bell
03-24-2003, 08:45 PM
OK, lets get beyond "there is no finish on a shaft" and talk about lighter fluid. A petroleum based liquid but whats really in it and how does it clean the shaft (a crude analogy is using gas to clean oil on a garage floor?) and what does it do to the wood? Does the residue evaporate? This must be a good shaft cleaner because it has a long history of use among pool old timers. Maybe because there was nothing else in "those" days. Still may be a good and cheap shaft cleaner. Not a "slicker" but a cleaner.

Troy
03-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Technically, yes Cap, however the transfer is so slight it really doesn't seem to generate the stickies.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote captain:</font><hr> Troy,
You stated earlier that you no longer use wax on your shaft. Yet you say that you burnish with wax paper. Won't the heat generated in the burnishing process transfer the wax from the paper to the shaft? <hr /></blockquote>

03-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks Troy for allowing me to pick your brain a little.

Cap