PDA

View Full Version : birdseye Maple

q4summit
03-23-2003, 03:51 PM
This is more a question on cues..

My friend plays quite a bit of pool, in fact he's the reason I took it up. He recently just bought a $2k stick made by (I think) McDurmit.

He said only 7 of these sticks were made. They were given to the top 7 of this tournament. Its made of birdseye maple, has 6 point design on handle. It's made in the USA, has a quick release screw (its about 1/2 the size of my screw to put my cue together. It had more stuff but its not my stick so I didn't remember.

So I guess my question is.. is it really worth dropping 2k for a stick? Did he buy looks over performance? How can you tell whats worth buying and whats not (aside from weight, and feel)?

Marc

Carlton31698
03-23-2003, 05:25 PM
The main things that effect the way a cue plays or hits are: tip, shaft taper, and joint style (wood to wood , steal etc.) IMO. Other things that can be important to how a cue plays are wrap style, diameter of the butt, weight, and actual construction splines verses inlayed points. I think most people will agree that the first three are the most important.
As far as paying 2K for a cue, is it worth it? sure if you really like the cue. It is true that you can get two cues that are built identical accept for veneers, inlays, points, rings, and have them play just alike. You can also buy two cars that run and drive just alike, one with regular trim and the other with top of the line trim. Itís all just looks, itís up to the buyer to decide what they like and what to spend. Keep in mind there is an incredible amount of time and energy put in to making a high end cue (mainly I am talking about custom cue makers) not to mention the price of things that go into a high end cue: ivory, silver rings, ebony, pink ivory, mother of pearl, etc.
I guess an even better example than the trim on a car would be a watch. You can buy a Timex or a Rolex both keep time about the same, but nothing is like having a Rolex on your arm. Itís all a mater of personal preference. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
03-23-2003, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr>Itís all a matter of personal preference.<hr /></blockquote>And resellabilty.
That high dollar cue will hold most of it's value after purchase. Versus the economy cue having it's value slashed in half (or more) from new value after purchase.

JPB
03-23-2003, 07:11 PM
There are cues to drop 2K on. I don't think any are McDermotts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Seriously, for 2K you can get fine cues. You can get fine cues for less of course. So in spending 2K you have to be nuts to get a production cue. I don't care what brand. I'd much rather have a Schon than a McDermott but the chances I'd spend 2k on a Schon, as many have done, are exactly zero. I suppose if you only buy it for collector value it's fine. I just can't see how any production cue has any real collector value, but that is probably just my bias. I like cues and might buy a bunch in the future just because. But for 2K I could get all kinds of fine custom cues that are interesting. Production cues aren't interesting to me, even if they "only made 7" or it's "limited edition" or whatever the buzzword du jour is. It's still a production cue. If you play well with it, great, get it. But that is my only criterion on a production cue.

Carlton31698
03-23-2003, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And resellabilty.
That high dollar cue will hold most of it's value after purchase. Versus the economy cue having it's value slashed in half (or more) from new value after purchase. <hr /></blockquote>

Good point cycopath
resale value tends to stay a lot higher on custom cues

Wally_in_Cincy
03-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Does it look like either one of these?

http://www.playpool.com/images/prestige2details.jpg

UWPoolGod
03-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Why did he have to pay $2k if they were given to the top 7 of this tournament. But as someone pointed out, 2k on a McD is a little outrageous, but who knows...I know a guy who payed $5000 for the Tim Scruggs with Gold rings, gold nugget inlays and ivory inlays...so who's to judge.

Todd Speakman

Fred Agnir
03-25-2003, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote q4summit:</font><hr> So I guess my question is.. is it really worth dropping 2k for a stick? <hr /></blockquote>Absolutely.

[ QUOTE ]
Did he buy looks over performance<hr /></blockquote>Whatever the reason he bought it, the least was performance. Truth be told, I don't know why anyone would think that someone would even consider purchasing a really high-dollar cue for performance reasons. OTOH, I don't know what anyone's definition of a "really high-dollar cue" means anymore, as everything's getting so damned expensive.

Fred