PDA

View Full Version : Not So Sneaky Petes

03-23-2003, 10:28 PM
I know they're popular, but I'm confused why people get a normal sneaky pete and then they'll have an ivory joint or something real noticeable like that. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a sneaky pete?

Yuppie
03-23-2003, 11:07 PM
I also notice they aren't so sneaky. I can usually spot one from a pretty far distance. What is the point of a sneaky pete?

qSHAFT
03-23-2003, 11:16 PM
I don't think people buy them cause they are sneaky anymore, everyone knows that trick. It is because they are the best value playing cues around, and they are 200 times less likely to get stolen (made up figure but fairly accurate).

Also most are wood to wood join which I value highly.

Cheers - qSHAFT

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 05:14 AM
Also, if someone lifts my sp, it is replaceable. If someone lifts my custom cue, it is not replaceable. It is a one of a kind.

Laura

Hopster
03-24-2003, 07:02 AM
My wife picked me up a dufferin a few months ago and its all i use now. I had it turned down by South West and they did a great job and i wouldnt trade it for anything.

wolfsburg2
03-24-2003, 08:34 AM
i ahve a not so sneaky pete. from across a room it doesn't attract the attention a custom cue does. i also agree with the bang for buck factor.

Cueless Joey
03-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Sneaky petes haven't been sneaky since the 80's.
In fact some shooters who use them scare pigeons away.
I think if a person asks for some fancy stuff done on his sneaky, he's not a hustler. Sneakies are made fast and generally hit very well.
Now, if you really want a true sneaky pete (these days) you'd get one of those ugly cues like the Pamela Anderson, Marlboro, Coca-Cola, HUSTLER /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif, NASCAR or any decaled cue, doweled and rejointed with a good shaft. Those cues are ugly and you would surely get laughed at for using one.

wolfsburg2
03-24-2003, 10:48 AM
i have a valley sneaky pete, that is truly sneaky. too often people pick it up in a bar, and give me an attitude when i say it;'s mine, no really, breaks cue apart, it's MINE.

I AM GOING TO HAVE THE SHAFT TAPERED EVENTUALLY, RIGHT NOW I AM USING IT AS A BREAK CUE WITH A REAL HARD SUMO(SP) TIP.

UWPoolGod
03-24-2003, 02:51 PM
For me, I wanted to get a custom cue without taking it up the watoozee. I am 6'3" and wanted a longer cue that was balanced right. So I bought a custom Tim Scruggs sneaky pete. Ran me $225, no joint collars, but a black buttcap. In retrospect I should have went for the joint collars, but either way the custom longer cue raised my game 10 fold. It has since paid for itself many many times over. Now I am going out for a local cuemakers custom cue, with some points.

Todd Speakman

wolfsburg2
03-25-2003, 07:10 AM
the guy who sold me my s.p. recently picked up a scruggs sneaky pete. that cue hits like a dream.

q4summit
03-25-2003, 01:41 PM
My dad used to play a lot of pool and always mentioned sneaky petes. How many companies make a verision of it?

Marc

cycopath
03-25-2003, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote q4summit:</font><hr> My dad used to play a lot of pool and always mentioned sneaky petes. How many companies make a verision of it?

Marc <hr /></blockquote>Pretty much every production cue maker and most custom cue makers start off by making sneaky petes.

Alfie
03-25-2003, 04:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I am 6'3" and wanted a longer cue that was balanced right. So I bought a custom Tim Scruggs sneaky pete. <hr /></blockquote>How long is it? Where is the balance point?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> Ran me $225, <hr /></blockquote>What year was this?

bell
03-25-2003, 04:30 PM
I shoot with a Little Al Romero (Bellflower, CA) plain jane (Valley butt) SP and would not trade it for anything. I bought it years ago because it was what I could afford and hit solid. Still does.

UWPoolGod
03-25-2003, 04:43 PM
I got it 59 inches added an extra half inch on the shaft and butt. The balance is a little forward, so even though it is a 19.5 it feels like a 18 or 18.5. I bought it summer of 1999. I am having a custom made by a local maker 60 inches, inch on both...becuase even at 59 inches I am holding it towards the buttcap. I should probably go longer. I heard he doesn't make them any more, but that could be a myth.

Todd Speakman