PDA

View Full Version : What's the BIGGEST Match you've ever played ?

bigbro6060
03-24-2003, 12:43 AM
Doesn't matter whether you won or lost. Doesn't matter if it was a tournament or a money match. What has been the biggest match you've ever played

Mine was neither a money match or a tournament. It was a race to 11 against this guy who whilst he hung around some friends of mine wasn't a friend and trash talked a lot and was just one of those guys who was very unlikeable. Anyone the trash talking continued until egowise and reputationwise there was quite a lot on the line. I won 11-8 after leading 10-3. I definitely was choking just a little but managed to get over the line.

Steve Lipsky
03-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Mine was definitely in last year's US Open. I had won my first two matches, and was playing Allen Hopkins in the third round. This match, if I won, guaranteed me $1,000 and a finish no worse than 33rd.

I was playing well, as was Allen, and the score became 10-10 in a race to 11. Allen missed the 5, and left me the following shot. I had to play safe, which pissed me off because I wanted to get out:

START(
%E_4G0%FM4O9%Gd1E3%HY2S5%Ij5P1%PZ0J8%Q^6C2%Rk6C1%W ^6H2%XZ6J3
%Y_6D6%Z_3F0%[j1D6%\_8G3
)END

I left the 5-ball at spot A and the cueball at spot B. Would you believe that I left him a shot in the upper corner? Sure, I could've hit the safe better I guess, but I will always look at that as a pretty bad roll (especially since Allen had missed the 5 in his previous inning). If either ball doesn't practically freeze to that rail, he's in a real tough spot.

Allen ran out and won the match. What really hurt was that my next two matches on the winner's side would have been winnable (though I was probably a slight underdog in each). I had a dream draw last year. Allen was the only champion I had to get past, and if I had beaten him, I'd have had a legitimate chance to come in 9th before playing any real monsters.

I have never wanted to win a match so badly in my life, and as such, it stands (for now, anyway) as my worst defeat.

- Steve

bigbro6060
03-26-2003, 08:50 PM
anyone else ?

HalSmith
03-26-2003, 09:08 PM
Mine was the 1st match in the Air Force straight pool championship in 1964. I made a mistake and the other guy ran down to needing 1 ball to win the single game match and he hung the ball in the corner pocket. I went to the table ran 5 balls ,broke the new rack open with the 6th ball and ran 8 more to win the game. I didn't lose another game the rest of the way to win the Air Force Championship.I may not have been the best in the world , but that week I was pretty good. There is no feeling in the world that can compare to winning something with the word Championship on the end of it.---Smitty

Karatemom
03-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Although it may not seem like much, it meant a lot to me and, as I found out later, meant something to everyone at the ph as well.

It was my first "big" tournament. Women's division, race to 7, nine ball. I had been sick all that morning and wasn't feeling good, but we drove 2 1/2 hours for this tourney and since it was my first real tourney, I wasn't about to back out.

I lost my first match, okay, first time jitters. I won my 2nd match. Then for my 3rd match, I had to play a girl from our ph who is quite good. Has a reputation for being a good shot around here. She's been on the winning team at state for several years in a row now. The match wasn't even close. I believe the score ended up 7-2 or 7-3, my favor. I got high fives all over the place, congrats all around. When we got back, everyone told me how wonderful it was that I had won against her. Not putting her game down, but putting mine up. I lost the next match, but I didn't care. I was so happy that I shot well against someone I knew had a good game.

Will never forget that day.

Heide

Rod
03-26-2003, 10:06 PM
I'd have to say making a choice isn't that easy. Pro matches rate high and so do some tournament wins be it 9 ball or 14-1. I think the most memorable match for me involved gambling. I'll not mention any names but a well known player. The bet was high especially for the time, late 60's. What happened in the game and during the course of the night is what stands out in my mind. We get this game started and right out of the box he runs two or three racks. Not a real big deal but a good start. It comes back to me and I do the same. It went on for 5 hours that way. I could count on racking at least two or three racks, in turn so did he.There was a few 4 packs in there but as I recall no more. It was push out but that rarely happened unless it was after a break. It was an all out offensive game with he and I at full speed. After the dust setteled and the place closed I come out 2 games up. Still a good pay day even after paying the time.

Rod

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 02:37 AM
Mine was one game of nine ball on a brand new table from www.billiardcapital.com (http://www.billiardcapital.com) at the 2003 SuperBilliads expo hosted by Fast Larry Guninger. I was drawn to play out of a raffle held by Steve Lillis, the game was refereed by Tom Dr. Cue Rossman and the prize for winning was the table. Both me and my opponent came prepared with pickup trucks to load the table into. LoL.

q4summit
03-27-2003, 02:40 AM
Probably won't seem much to you veterns and money makers but...

We were playing teams (stupid) and it started out 2 bucks a game (we are broke college kids, what do you expect?). Now, I wasn't sporting any cash it was all my partner.

We lose the first game. Double or nothing (Just stupid on my partners behalf to say it). Lose the second, then the third, and so on up to 64 dollars. What made it worse was my partner didn't have all of it. The funny thing is, we went to McDonalds and bought 30, $1 dollar cheeseburgers. LOL!

Marc

bluewolf
03-27-2003, 06:14 AM
The better I get, the more this changes.

When I first became a 2, I felt I had had a great match if I got a ball in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now, I feel good if I can beat someone who is rated as being a more skilled player. This happened last week at 2am. I was playing a girl who is an excellent shot. I was shooting just about as good last week. Actually , she folded under the pressure of my safety game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I had such a hard time beating her that I came away with the knowlege that although I shot well and did safety well, it would have been an easier win if I was better at shape and choosing the order of the balls to shoot.

So I also came away with things to work on.To me this means that I may play better in the next match /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Predator314
03-27-2003, 07:29 AM
I think the coolest match I was in was in a little local pool hall. Larry Price was there and shot in a 9-ball tournament. I wasn't really aware of who I was playing as that was the only real pool hall I shot in back then. The tournament was a race to 5. I got up 2-1 by locking him up and making him kick alot. Then he took a 3-2 lead after that. I got back to the table after he played safe. I kicked at the ball and slopped it in and proceeded to run the rest of that rack and the next two on him to win 5-3. I found out later how good he was when he was playing for money.

He won the Bank Pool Tourney at the Derby City either this year or last year. It was probably 8 or 9 years ago when I played him.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-27-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>
....This happened last week at 2am.....
<hr /></blockquote>

Geez no wonder they have to wake you up to shoot /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Our latest ever is 1:15 and that was an intense 5-round playoff

Wally~~can't believe he's tempting bluewolf to post yet again

Fred Agnir
03-27-2003, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> anyone else ? <hr /></blockquote>Sure. I played Licking County Slim for $50. He weighs in at over 700 lbs. Now that, my friend, is a big matchup.

Fred &lt;~~~ slighly less than 700 lbs.

cheesemouse
03-27-2003, 09:50 AM
As I look back this was not the biggest money game or most important tournament match in relationship to how I fininshed but it was the most important in the confidence realm...

It was in the very early 80's in Portland, Ore. It was a $100 entry fee, race to 11, #elimination, BIH(a new concept at that time)and winner breaks format. A very rare event in that era and it drew the best from the three coastal states plus some boarding states. I had only been playing for about a year after a 14 year hiatus from when I left pool behind after leaving the 'old local poolhall hangout' back in the hometown on the Plains...sorry for all the background but what the hell I paid for this Internet connection....LOL...anyway, I had figured out that playing in the big city was much different than playing your old high school buddies or the local farmers in a ring peepool or nineball game. I had done this figuring by playing in the Hunt &amp; Fish Tavern's weekly $5 or $10 nineball and eightball events along with playing some open golf on a 'Big Bertha', a 12ft snooker table in a local bowling alley over the previous six months or so.

At that time I had more money than brains and spent all my recreational pool time gambling. They were lining up for miles to get a piece of my bankroll. As I wasn't part of the pool subculture at the time, I actually didn't have a clue. I was trying to operate three Seafood restaurants at the time and pool was only a mental health break for me during my off hours. The classic pidgeon. The book on me was 'this guy will play for whatever you say and he nevers plays safe'. Two shot rollout was the standard 9-ball match up at the time and I would just shot at everything, still using the honest attempt training I'd received in my hometown poolhall...LOL...I always went to the Hunt&amp;Fish to play 9-ball cause there was always someone to play there or some one would come in shortly after I arrived....duh...LOL. I was making money hand or fist in the restaurant business and didn't care if I lost $50 or a $100 in my rec time. I just needed a break from the stress of work and pool action was that break. I'm not a stupid person and by the time this $100 entry event came around I knew what the score was and I thought the BIH rule was the best thing since sliced bread as it stop that irritating rollout $hit.

Here's a time warp thingee. The bartables were a quarter. They were also equipted with an optiocal scanner that allowed you to play with a real cueball. I'll bet you thought that was a new device.Unbelievable huh?
...I digress, my mind does tend to wander now days....LOL

The bigtime players in the Northwest at the time were Dan Louie, Rich Gieler(Panama, Stuttering Rich), Dave(Dough Boy) Rhodes, Leo(The Lion, he roared at you) Newberry, Brad Gowin(sp), Kenny(Artesian) Dodd and a whole pack of Mexicans from Calif.

I had won my first two matches. I had made arrangements with the TD, a great guy named Dick Lane, to beable to run over and check on things at the restaurant three blocks away. I had just returned to the H&amp;F for my third match in which I did not know who my opponent would be. I was about to enter the 'boat', an old life boat out of a scrapped oceanliner which was the centeral raised seating for the main pool room area . When I heard Stuttering Rich tell everyone in the boat, it held about 30 people, "Iiiiffff...Iiiiiiii...LLLooooossssseeeee...thissss sss....matchhhhhhhh...I'lllllll....take allll of yoooooouuu in thhhheee boaaatt to dinnnnnnnerrr......"

Sure enough, I was his victim. I did have the presence of mind to turn to the people in the boat before the start of the match and say "I understand that if I win you guys get a free dinner out of it?" They all laughed and gave cat calls to Rich. I went on to say that "if I won they should make him take them to my restaurant". A great move on my part, don't you think? It was agreed. We all had a good time, even Rich.

I won the match 11-10 with a great 'golf shot safty' that I took after he came up dry on the break. I three railed the 1-ball to a spot where I could combo the nine in the side and at the same time left whitey frozen to the back of a ball. He was screwed. He knew it and everyone in the boat knew it. I had got it all and the only move he had was to intentionally foul while trying to move the one or the nine ball. The whole place was laughing at Rich...it was really a funny pool scene. Before he got off his shot the only thing he could say was "ssoooooomebbboooodddddy said this ggguuuuyyyy couuuulldddddnnn'ttttt plllllayyyyyy........". Another good laugh line...LOL

I got the BIH. My hand was shaking so bad I could hardly put the cb down. Thankfully the combo was nearly unmissable. Blindly I pocketed the nine....

Why this is my biggest win? It made me realize that I could play with the big boys and it was a serious blast to do so...since then I have rarely missed the chance to play in any tournaments I can get too.

Sorry for rambling on but, hey, I paid my dues...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

PS.....By 6pm that Sunday all the cars in the parking lot were covered with a quarter inch of ash from the Mount Saint Helens wolcano erruption but that's another story....

Perk
03-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Love the story cheesemouse. Love it when the lines that are all too common in the pool halls come back and bite someone.

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> last week at 2am. I was playing a girl who is an excellent shot, (but) she folded under the pressure of my safety game <hr /></blockquote>What a match-up that must have been! Your safety game is reaching legendary proportions. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MarkUrsel
03-29-2003, 09:55 PM
The biggest...well, the most pressure I ever felt was in a VNEA team 8-ball tournament. The league I was in played 5-member teams in a round robin format. The race was to 13. We were tied with our opponents at 12-12 and I was playing the final game.

It doesn't seem like much in retorspect, especially on a 7 foot bar box, but I had this shot to win the match:

START(
%Hg7O5%PK2P3
)END

I made it and we went on to win one more round before bowing out of tournament in 4th place.

A close second was going hill-hill with Steve Lipsky in a league game race to 10 at 9-ball (yes, he had to give me a few games, but it sounds better without knowing that /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). It was personally very satisfying to give him a run for his money. Had a chance in the final game to make a long 3-9 combo, rattled it and watched him mop up the table. It's always fun to play excellent players; if for nothing else, you get a good lesson out of the deal!

-- Mark

stick8
03-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Mine was not one but a commination of three, Iwas station in germany, and shooting in u.s.o. club one day lady that ran it as me if i wanted to play in pool tourny? I ask what kind she replied 14.1? I had never straight poolk call that. I had never shoot it before. to make long story short. I said what the hell all you have to do is call pocket i said o.k. suprizing enoug I won districk, then went to BERLIN germany. Won the region there{ on t.v.} Armforces network. I went to the all europe final and came 8th in all europe finals.I thought that was good never shootin 14.1 before!!! STICK

Mike H
03-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Oddly enough, mine was against Hopkins too, at the Drexeline (PA) Joss tourney last year. I drew him a few rounds deep on the one-loss bracket, and at 8-7 I rolled out to a jump shot, which he returned to me. I missed, left a straight in 2 ball, and spent the last minute or two squirming in my chair. I can relate to your feelings of that being your worst defeat....so close, but not yet close enough. Good luck in your future tough matches...
Mike