PDA

View Full Version : Valley Forge Results Amatuer

Perk
03-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Does anyone know any of the top finishers in the amatuer event? Or when it will be public-ly (internet) announced formally? I checked the website, and it doesnt mention it. Thanks to anyone with some feedback.

Barbara
03-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Open Amateurs - Jason Kirkwood
Seniors - Henry Brodt
Women - Pamela Bell
Juniors 18 and under - Justin Bergman (I think that's his last name)
Juniors 14 and under - don't know.

Barbara~~~exhausted /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-24-2003, 01:24 PM
I know the third place junior was a girl who had been a student of Tony Robles.

Perk
03-24-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Jason Kirkwood is a friend of mine. He plays extremely well, fun to watch. I hope they post all the results sometime this week.

Barbara
03-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Tom,

That was Alexandra Calabrese. She's played in a couple NEWT events.

Her dad makes that mini-buffer thingy. Nice guy, too.

Barbara

03-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Wow thats an upset josh brothers lost the junior division he has won it the last 3 times. O well cant be helped jsut glad i didnt put my money on him, (except on the valleys on friday night).

Chris in NC
03-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Congrats to Justin. No disrespect for Josh, but if you saw Justin Bergman play, you'd understand why he beat Josh. Justin is a phenomenal young player who appears even younger than his age of 15 and has as much natural talent for this game as anyone who has ever held a stick. He's had bad luck in not winning the BCA Junior 14-and-under the past 4-5 years, but always finishes very high before being knocked out by other great junior players. I'm happy for him that he finally won a big one!

Justin was warming up for the start of the junior tourney on Saturday morning by playing some on the challenge tables, when a high stakes player (apparently not knowing who he was) started playing him. After being spanked the first few games by Justin, this older player started running his mouth which eventually resulted in him side betting with Justin's buddy (another very good young player) for a considerable $ amount per game. Needless to say, after getting his clock cleaned by Justin over a number of games (the poor guy didn't hardly get to the table) the older gentleman tried to save face (and his remaining $s) by quitting and claiming the young man he was wagering with (not Justin) was sharking him, which was ridiculous.

I know at different times over the weekend others tried to get Justin in to a money game, but he is extremely shy and well mannered (unlike most of the young cocky players), and was wisely concentrating on playing in his tournament matches. I'm glad to see that it paid off for him.

03-25-2003, 10:28 PM
I have to be honest if the money was big and josh was playing this kid on a big table i think that he probably wouldnt do to well (but then again this is what the us open is for is it not. i have watched josh play on big tables at hot shots the green room jack and jills drexeline and q stix he isnt some one to take lightly. and to be honest short of a corey vs. josh show down my money is on josh every time. but im biased we are friends

Deeman
03-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Alexandra Calabrese is a wonderful young lady and as you said, her Dad, Pete, is a nice guy. I was amazed at her skills and she only played boys in the event. Her parents don't push her and she seems to really enjoy it. There is a story about her in Pool & Billiard with a picture of her and Corey Duel giving her some pointers. Her Dad is planning on opening a new pool room in Pennsylvania. I can't imagine how well she will shoot a couple of years from now. Pete plays a pretty health game as well.

Dee

Vagabond
03-26-2003, 08:11 AM
Howdy Barbara,
Jason can beat Allen hopkins on a bar table.He should be ashamed of himself for playing in Amateurs.Common Jason,move up the ladder man!!!!!.Start playing in pro tournaments.Barbara,u always come into my mind when I am eating PEEEEEEcans and I eat them some times three or four times a week.BTW I am not expecting a 60 pound bag of peeeeecans delivered to my hotel room.I am lazy to break the shell.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike H
03-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Vagabond, while Jason plays great on the barbox, I saw a short list of players who play his speed (Kevin Freeeman, Tony Fargo, Stevie Wonder, Chuck Altomare, Duke Laha, Andy Lincoln, Ed Matushoneck, etc.) listed on the website as Open Tourney entries. I'm sure there are plenty of other great players there whose names I didn't recognize. I'm sure Jason didn't have to play a bunch of bums who don't belong on the same table as him to earn his $5K.

Steve Lipsky
03-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Mike, with all due respect, at least a few of the names you mentioned do not play Jason's speed, and some of the ones that come close don't spend much time on a bar table.

Jason is a bar-box monster, and he proves it yearly at Hopkins' tournament.

- Steve

dardusm
03-26-2003, 12:39 PM
I may be wrong but doesn't Jason hold a full time job? Besides, there are several players that play top notch that don't play in pro tournaments i.e. Jesse Bowman. Until there is an organized professional tour (with a list of professionals)there will always be pro's mingling in so called amateur events. Anyway, what is the definition of a pro? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Darryl

Perk
03-26-2003, 03:00 PM
I know Jason personally, and yes he does also work to go along with pool. He is exceptional on a barbox. Dont let anyone tell ya he cant play on a 9' though either. Playin as an amatuer is no fault of his. With there not being any unity nor money involved in the pro game how can ya blame him. There are gonna be monsters around all the time like him. Due to this fact, I stand by a post that I made late last year regarding the quality of amatuers vs pros.