PDA

View Full Version : About to give up on Predator.

CRATER59
03-24-2003, 09:35 AM
I have played with two cues, a Palmer from 1979 to 1999, and a Huebler from 1999 to present. I mostly play straight pool and I am baout a fifty ball runner. I bought a Capone with a Predator shaft 2 months ago and I am about to give up on it. Don't get me wrong, I think the Capone is a beautiful nice hitting cue, it's the Predator shaft I just can't get the hang of. Every cut shot I hit is unpredictable. I might hit the ob too full or too thin. The English might take a little, a lot, or not at all. What gives. How is one supposed to make the transition to a Predator.
P.S. I practice every day, and I have been using the Predator exclusively since I got it.

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 09:41 AM
With your previous cues, just a guess, but you might have been naturally compensating for deflection. Since the pred shaft has extremely little defection, this might be throwing you off. I heard that the pred takes some getting used to.

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-24-2003, 09:48 AM
i agree with wolf. maybe the pred shaft is just not your style.

Cueless Joey
03-24-2003, 10:30 AM
I think you need to give backhand english a try.

WaltVA
03-24-2003, 11:09 AM
I bought a Pred in '99, shot with it exclusively for almost 2 months, and could not get used to it. Same story - I was thinking more about what the shaft was going to do than about the shot, English was erratic, and the deflection compensations I had learned over the years were out the window. I finally went back to my Schon shaft and the game went back where it shoud be. I use the Pred for breaking now.

Walt in VA

CRATER59
03-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Mr. Clueless Joey, what is backhand English in your book. I call English either inside or outside. I play the majority of English requiring shots with inside.

Popcorn
03-24-2003, 11:38 AM
I would go back to your old cue and forget about it. I am not for or against the predator, but like anything else, it is not for everybody. If that was the case, we would all be playing with the same cues.

griffith_d
03-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Do not give up,...the 314 just provides more english than you are used to,...just use less. When using outside english to compensate for throw, do not use as much. I notice that I am having a little more trouble than when I first got it. I have found myself using more english than I am used to and am backing off a bit and have calmed it down now.

If you still can get it to do what you want,...I will take it off your hands. I have some twofer coupons I could pay you with,...as long as you pay for the shipping.

Griff

Kato
03-24-2003, 12:03 PM
Crater, I did the same thing. I think Predator makes a good product but that experiment for me is over. I never got the hang of it.

Kato

Vicki
03-24-2003, 01:22 PM
Crater,

I'm curious to know why you feel you need to make the transition to predator? Do you have the original shafts to the Capone?

Vicki

SpiderMan
03-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Based on the number of years you have been playing, your straight-pool performance, and the fact that you practice every day, I can't imagine why you are having the problems you describe. Predators play different than regular shafts, but consistently so. Your description of the problems implies that something different seems to happen every shot. The only thing I can imagine is that the feel is so different that your confidence is lowered, ruining your consistency.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but if you want to play well with the predator consider changing the feel by going to a different tip. On your Palmer, did you have a tip substantially different? Perhaps the predator has a hard tip and you're feeling or hearing some chatter that you're not used to. Nothing affects the characteristics of the cue as much as the tip.

One final thing. The capone cue may have a significantly different balance from your accustomed huebler. I too played with a Palmer for years, then a Meucci for about 5 years, then bought a Jacoby 2 years ago. It took me about 2 months and a lot of tip-switching to get accustomed to the stiff forward-balanced Jacoby after being used to the flexible butt-heavy Meucci.

SpiderMan

CRATER59
03-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Yes Vicki, I do have the original shafts. It was recommended to me by an outstanding local player (NYC area), to try playing with a Predator. I got a good deal on the Predator shaft so I figured I would give it a try.

He told me to stick with it until it came to me with the Predator because it would take some of the guesswork out of the tough shots. And that because of this, I could really let my stroke out.

CRATER59
03-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Spider Man, I know the problem is not with the Predator. Also, I changed the tip to a Moori medium, it's the tip I have on all my other shafts. The problem is definitely within me, somewhere.
I try to remember the action on the last similar shot that I missed and then I try nto compensate for it. I get an unexpected result and yes, my confidence drops like a brick.

Vicki
03-24-2003, 02:18 PM
Crater,

I don't have a thing for or against Predator but if you've given it a good try and it isn't working for you then maybe you should give the original shafts a go. I know a lot of pros that play with Predator and love them but I also know a bunch that have tried Predator and did not like them. I just talked to a top pro over the weekend at Valley Forge(he's a former world champion) who recently had Predator shafts made for his cue. He did not play well with them and although he's willing to give them a fair chance, he doubts he will continue with them or endorse them.

Send me a private message if you decide to dump them. I may know of someone who will take them off your hands.

Vicki

03-24-2003, 10:40 PM
I don't own a Predator shaft, but my guess is you're using too much english, especially if you're playing straight pool, which should require very little. Try staying very near the center of the cue ball for awhile, and use only 1/2 cue tip of english when it's called for. Also, you said you usually use INSIDE english? That's pretty much contrary to what all top players do unless they just have no choice due to position play. Shooting a shot with inside is one of the toughest shots to execute consistently. Either use no english, or a touch of outside to compensate for throw, skid, and all those other nasty things that occur to the object ball when you strike it!
P.S. check your private mail.

Rod
03-25-2003, 12:35 AM
I think your experiencing execution problems. Something must be happening that your not hitting the c/b where you want to. Doesn't matter what cue, if you hit it with 1 tip of english then it reacts to 1 tip. Don't take this wrong, it reminds me of the person that says they hit it with low but the c/b didn't draw. If it is hit with low at sufficient speed it draws. lol

For what it's worth I played yet again two nights ago a few games with a pred cue. I don't get it, it makes balls like my cue. I never adjusted for aim. I didn't like the feel on some shots but the balls went in with reasonable position. It was a little lighter than mine and I don't care for the smaller shaft. The owner was happy to have it back but he liked my cue, except for the larger shaft. All I can say is I'd never play with something because someone says you can let your stroke out. You can do that with a house cue. Pred if I remember correctly says 25 percent more accurate.
25 percent of what? You still need to adjust for squirt, just 25 percent less? Well good luck on whatever you decide.

Rod

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Aggreed. My husband is convinced that his front weighted cue is the best. Because of the way it is made or the polish on it, my hands sweat more, but it shoots fine. My pred shoots fine. My blackheart shoots fine plus it is custom so is one of a kind.

I got to the point that the balls go in if I do my technique right.(I miss shots because of unwanted right hand eng, which am trying to correct) I just think it is a lot of 'hype'. Play with what you like. I put my pred on the shelf for 3 months, was convinced I could not shoot with it because it was backweighted. I recently took it back out. It shoots fine. Simply amazing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura