PDA

View Full Version : Quick Valley Forge Thoughts 2003 (long)

Fred Agnir
03-24-2003, 10:38 AM
As is my yearly tradition, here's this years thoughts on the VF event.

My agenda at the event is usually to schmooze and to watch the pros. This year, I decided to play the amateur event, and watch less pros. Still up in the air whether or not that was the right move.

Diamond 7' Smart Tables played as expected: like real pool for real players.

Gabriels had their version of a bar table that allows the use of a regular ball. Make your own conclusions.

Barbara, as usual, had the nutz.

It's amazing what the day feels like if the previous one ends at 6:00 AM. Housekeeping has no sense of humor.

The chance of your hotel reservations getting completely screwed up is directly proportional to how many times you check on and confirm them previously.

The ever-awesome CarolNYC is now part of my family. Love ya baby ;-)

In case anyone at next year's event asks you if you know the Macadamia Nut Prince, you do. It's me. Don't ask.

For as many CCBers that were there, I only met one (Eric) that I hadn't met before. The rest, although I searched, I didn't find them. Maybe I should've worn the CCB key ring as an earring. Eric was very cool and reminds me of... well, me. It's an Asian thing.

I would have talked to Fast Larry, but Eric confirmed what I feared: it would have been a complete joke.

Purchases: hmmm...

After completely pissing off (shocking, I know) Predator's Shane Sinnot with a "discussion" on the merits of a low-deflection cue, I still bought a Predator BK w/wrap. I'm a gear whore, what can I say? I'll report how I like or dislike it.

I finally got a Ned Morris Stealth Jump Cue. Compared to the Bunjee (which I've had since the very beginning), no comparison. The Stealth jumps better in my hands. One reason, no annoying miscue sound. YMMV, of course.

I received my new cue (Murray Tucker from Fla). It's a plain 4-pt, 2 veneer cue. Forearm of Bois-du-Rose, with Tasmanian Myrtlewood points. The Bois-Du-Rois is carried through in the butt sleeve, with brass-accented Myrtlewood ABCD ringwork. I opted for pigskin for my first-ever leather wrap. Shoots great. Less filling. Pictures to come.

I also gave Thierry Layani the go-ahead to build me a cue. I love the hit of the Layani conical joint setup, and really have no idea why I haven't bought one yet. The joint has low-to-no vibration feedback. That is, it's a muted hit similar to a Schuler.

You know those Holdup two-cue holders? They had them at Franks Place. It's Frank's product. He also had the Q-Claw. They're not the same. The Q-Claw is slightly bigger and may not fit in your small pocket of your case. I bought three more Holdups.

The tip tool that I've shown from Falcon is called the Unique Tip tool. Unique name.

In the amateur event, there were over 800 players, for a 1028-field draw. I won my first /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I knew maybe 10 players there. Second round, of course, I drew one of them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't mind losing, but I wish I had a chance to play someone I didn't know.

Cues: best of show... I don't know. Last year's was Ed Pruitt, but he wasn't there this time. Some butterfly Finellis (sp.?) at the Pool Table Magic booth (Mark Kulungian) got some high praise from Richard Black. Which is really saying something. They were gorgeous.

As usual, most top names in the ACA were there. Samsara, Scruggs, Jim Buss,Dan Dishaw, Capone, Richard Black, etc. And those that weren't, their cues may have been found in the broker's booths like Pool Table Magic, Joe Salazar, and others. Ginacues, Tad Koharas, Schicks, Lambros, Gus and Barry, Balabushkas.

Barry Szamboti was roving at the show. I believe his cuemaking daughter (two cues) was also there, but I could be wrong.

Cases:

Relatively new Thomas Cases are trying to bring back the Fellini-style tube case. He even offers master leather tooling, which isn't normally seen on tube cases.

The Whitten and Justis cases once again looked amazing. My hat's off to both of them. The Instroke booth had an antelope skin case. I commented that the zoo must be pissed. Whoosh, over the head.

Secret insider note: there were brand new Fellini cases at the show. Maybe a half dozen.

The Inside Pool Magazine party (JR Calvert) was, ... intense. I couldn't handle too much of that. But, I handled it one night until 6:00AM. I'm getting too old for this sh*t. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to work a booth the next day. I'm completely amazed at how many at the parties were wide-eyed and bushy-tailed the next day.

The action. Same as always. Fast and furious. As was last year, down in the dungeon. Better than last year, they didn't have an action table at the bottom of the steps, but rather around back and less "conspicuous." Sweat bets make the weekend. Buying new cues from sweat bets: priceless. Or something like that.

Oddest and most intriguing action: a young (15-ish?)sharp shooter named Scooter took on a 12-yr old young lady and she was getting backed by everyone. Short story: in the first set for some beans on beans, race to 9, tied 5-5, she won an odd game, then hit him with a double to get to the hill 8-5. His previously obnoxious banter turned into stunned silence. He showed heart, and she showed a little nerves as he tied it 8-8, and she dawged the last 8-ball in the final game. To her defense, the table had a horrendous role. To his credit, he figured it out better.

They played one more set well past midnight. If she plays hard like this often, she's either going to be the best in the universe, or another burnt out female player. He rolled over her.

Every king-of-the-hill challenge table (one game challenge), everyone sweat and bet. The occassional race-style matchup however, most were cautious to stay away from the dump (two brothers and a stranger).

The final men's pro match (Morris vs. Archer) featured everything a men's 9-ball match should. Explosive breaks, fabulous shotmaking, phenomenal position play, pinpoint safety, and... a little luck and mishap. I won't report on it here. But I'll confirm any questions if anyone's got any.

One last note: I hadn't seen Gerda in a while. She was at the Predator booth. Gentlemen (and ladies), if you haven't seen this woman face-to-face, you simply have no idea how gorgeous she is. The Gerda cup is filled once more.

Until next year:

Fred <~~~ not a stalker, only plays one on TV

SPetty
03-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanks, Fred. That was almost like being there. Although you do have to promise to share that Macadamia Nut Prince story sometime...

Chris in NC
03-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Fred, sorry I didn't run in to you at VF. We had to leave early Sunday, but were there from Thursday night. Everyone in our party was a little overwhelmed - except for the Dragon and myself who've been there for 6 straight years. The show just seems to get a little bigger every year - and a little bit harder every year to find a parking spot in their huge lot unless you arrive before 11am or after 11pm!

A few thoughts about this great show and a few little things that it could IMO improve upon for future years.

First, the Diamond bar tables were great, but if they can bring in 100+ of them for the amateur tourney matches, why couldn't they just bring 10 more for the challenge tables - which were really poor playing lower end bar tables that absolutely rolled and played awful. The experience in the challenge table area is awesome, and distracted me from spending as much time as I should of watching the men's pro event - but I wouldn't trade it for anything. There were challenge tables ranging anywhere from $5 to $50 per game, with of course alot of action bet on the side. The amount of pool talent in that area over the weekend 24 hours around the clock was awesome. I was glad to see that most all of the pros had the courtesy to leave the temptation of playing with the amateurs alone and watch - with the exception of Frankie.

As far as the pro tourneys, I'm afraid the men have picked up on the opening that the women (by not having their WPBA tour event) have given them and have now grabbed center stage. The men's event was very well attended all weekend (virtually sold out), whereas the attendance for the women's event was dissappointing as I fully expected. Although both events were price the same for the spectators, considering the general admission price for the men's sessions was $12, the price for a woman's session was worth about $1 IMO. Those that did pay to attend any of those sessions felt a little bit taken - and I'm saying that because I heard first hand the comments from those around me. I attended one women's pro session only to see and support one of the players I know. The quality of the men's field was awesome including most of the top European players and most all the other top players except for Efren and Busty. They did not dissappoint - alot of great action!

Tiffany and Kim Shaw had use of a table downstairs near the playing area that was petitioned off, which they used for instruction - at $25/half hour. What an awesome opportunity this was for anyone looking to improve their fundamentals (Kim's strong suit) or their specialty shots such as jump, masse or break shots (Tiffany's strong suit). This was a great addition to the show just to stand and watch - though I know it must have been a tough environment for the students to really focus and concentrate without being self-conscious of everyone watching. If the women's pros don't return next year (which I'm betting they will to complete this event) I hope Tiffany and Kim are back.

The one other improvement needed I think all would agree is more variety in terms of food vendors downstairs. Put it this way - the Philly Cheesesteak we make at our room here in NC blew away the Philly Cheesesteak available at VF - and ours is half the price! The only deal available were the $2 beers - which was priced less than a fountain drink!

Already looking forward to next year!

Rich R.
03-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Sorry I missed you Fred. Barbara told me that your were all around, but I must have been looking all around the other places. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Although we have never me, I have seen your picture. I think we may have been on opposite sides of the men's pro arena, during the finals.

Maybe next time.

It was nice seeing some of the other CCB'ers at VF and I'm sorry I missed others.

Barbara
03-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Hey Fred!!

Thanks for scouting out that cue holder for me at that booth!! I picked one up - it was the exact one I was looking for. I only get two half hour breaks so your scouting around saved me some precious time that I spent running up to my room to get more nuts to hand out.

And speaking of nuts, I went there with 40 lbs this time and left 38 lbs lighter. Sorry to all you CCBers I missed giving some to - either I was fresh out or you never came back after I resupplied.

And thanks to the CCBers whom I've never met and came up to say hi!! Yeah, I was real busy on Friday, but by Sunday afternoon things calmed down and I could actually talk a little.

And it's going to be 4 days next year??? Ouch!!

Barbara~~~exhausted!!!

Greg/Diamond
03-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the positive comment on the Diamond Smart 7 ft. *POOL TABLES*. Talked with Allen only a couple minutes, but he assured me that Diamond would have at least 160 tables next year and he was very happy with comments he was receiving. As to not being able to supply the action tables, I too was disappointed this year. It's Allen's event and thus his decision on all equipment, including lights. I'm trying to supply as many lights of my own design next year. The lights used this year were not mine except one light used at the end of the tournament. Many people may not of had a chance to see it, but it was the same as those used at the Derby City on the 7 fts.. Greg/Diamond

Barbara
03-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Greg,

We had only one complaint about one of your tables and your mechanic was right there to re-level it.

Those tables are AWESOME!! I hope you get to do the BCA Vegas event sometime in the future because I would love to play on them. Allen had 5 of them brought up to the staff party, but I was too wiped by 10 pm to even think of shooting.

Those tables made our job that much easier because we didn't have to spend any time listening to people complaining about the playing equipment simply because there was only one complaint!!

Barbara

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Thanks Fred,

For the great post about your observations at this years SuperExpo.

thank again... I really appreciate your post... It was almost like being there..

Eric.
03-24-2003, 04:38 PM
As usual, Valley Forge was awesome. Personally, I think if you never have been, this is one of the "must do once" events. From what I've seen and heard, this is one of the best trade show/tourney/people meeting events. If you are looking for a cue, this is the place to visit. Not only are most of the production & custom cue guys here, there are plenty of tables to hit some balls with your cue. Definately a must visit if you're in the market for a stick.

The Action tables:
As usual, we had action. At the lower level, near the stairs, were about 15 "practice" tables. All you had to do is pick your ring and pick a horse or step up and you will get played. This year had alot of the usual suspects there, some big hitters too. Tony Watson, Ryan McCreesh, Joey K, Frankie K, Ginky, Alex Pagulayan, Cisco Diaz, Scott Richardson, all spent some time there. Like Wendy said, with the crowd araound different tables, it was like the trading floor on Wall Street! You gotta love it.

I had a great time, met some new friends, old friends and one not-so-good friend:

Fred Agnir-you are alright in my book. I wish we hooked up earlier, maybe we'll get a chance to hang someday(next time I'm in Beantown?)

CarolNYC-As usual, always good to see her& Jimmy. She's 100% pure energy and gives great hugs.

Barbara-Again, always good to see her, met her Pete(who is 6' 13" or so) and was blessed with her addicting Pecans(better than Crack).

Wendy & Tony R-you guys are 101% real people, I enjoyed your company. BTW Wendy, who won-the Breaker, the Racker or "the Rack" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RossNC-good to see you again, hope you got your Schon sorted out

RichR-fancy meeting you here(!), did you get any action?

Jean B-when are you gonna come back and play again?(what a breakshot!)

Mike M and Wes K-sorry I missed you guys, Chesapeake in September?

Vicki-hope you took some time out for yourself(you were busy working)

Thierry Layani-sorry we couldn't talk longer-as you know I was sidetracked

Fast Larry-

Eric >4 days of VF in 2004

Eric.
03-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Greg,

I spent alot of time on your tables this weekend. They are awesome. Awesome. I heard nothing but RAVING compliments about the tables and can say from personal experience that the conditions were as good as it gets. The rails/diamonds played true and I feel this is the new standard for Barboxes. I think everybody was impressed.

Eric

Alfie
03-24-2003, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg/Diamond:</font><hr> Thanks for the positive comment on the Diamond Smart 7 ft. *POOL TABLES*. <hr /></blockquote>Hey Greg/Diamond, were the table pockets the same dimensions as at the APA nationals? If so, is that the standard for all 7' Smart tables?

bluewolf
03-24-2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks Fred. I was sorry that I did not get to meet you.

Laura

SpiderMan
03-24-2003, 05:32 PM
You know the one /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2003, 05:33 PM
Eric, My best buddy in NJ.

The Diamond 7 footers.. nothing short of excellent.

How would you like to play on one of those tables in a bar league?

Awesome, baby, Awesome..

Barbara
03-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Ooooooo Spidey.... Don't ask Eric about Fast Larry.

(but it it is hilarious!!)

I spied on one of his expositions. Nothing new or remarkable.

Barbara~~~getting sleepier....

Eric.
03-24-2003, 06:27 PM
Need I say more /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric

Greg/Diamond
03-24-2003, 06:28 PM
Alfie,

I have to be careful here. Sometimes my personal preferences and business may vary somewhat. The specifications on pocket size were established by Terry Bell and Larry Hubbert of the APA and I do understand that sizes were established to try and maintain their players point rankings as close as possible.
I personally would have liked more demanding conditions at tournaments, especially because new cloth plays much easier than it will a few weeks later.
The answer to your question is "yes" the same sizes were used and will be at all tournaments in the near future. We are happy to have specifications established for the league players. We will continue asking for future improvements and now that specs have been laid out they can be critiqued...........Greg/Diamond

Fred Agnir
03-24-2003, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris in NC:</font><hr> Fred, sorry I didn't run in to you at VF. We had to leave early Sunday, but were there from Thursday night. <hr /></blockquote>
I saw you Chris, but you were in a game. I also saw Drayton. He's about a foot taller this year. No surprise.

Fred

9 Ball Girl
03-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Well, I'm finally back! Just a few ramblings:

Barbara~~~one hard working woman! I think I would've needed phsyciatric(sp?) help dealing with brackets like those! Whew! Pete~~~all I can say is Whoa! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Carol~~~Best Hugs and Kisses Award to you! Love that perfume! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Jimmy~~~Hubba hubba Baby!

Rich R. and Cathy~~~so I'm getting change from the front desk at the Radisson and who do I see? Yup, the R's! Love you guys!

Thierry Layani~~~it's always a pleasure to see that smile

Lil Ty Laha~~~still a Sweet Potato! That's Sweet Potato in case you didn't hear it right, Carol! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric~~~one ultra cool dude! This guy was my "who's got the Breaker?", "Who's got the Racker?", and "Is that a real rack?" partner! hahahaha!!! So, hey, wasn't I supposed to get a beer from our little "timed" bet? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fast Larry~~~thank you for the free Video tapes of you and Wonder Dog. Oh yeah, thanks for the Lay, er I mean Lei. Oh yeah, thanks for the posters too /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TomBrooklyn~~~my bud from Brooklyn. Ladies and Gents, my bud here got picked out of a drawing over at the Fast Larry booth. He was to play a rack of 9 ball with this other guy that was picked out of a drawing. They were playing for a pool table. A POOL TABLE!!!!! I can't remember which brand but it's the kind with the leather netted pockets. It was an 8 footer and really nice. Well, my bud Tom here ran all the way to the 7 ball and then...I'll let him tell you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vicki~~~another hard working woman. Did you get your dinner and watched the end of the finals? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fred Agnir, The Wolves~~~I heard you were there. Sorry I missed you. Hey Fred, you were at the finals. So was I. You might've seen me. I was sitting towards the entrance with Tony R, Frankie H., Tommy K., Ron P., Karen C., Julie K., and Karen A. I would've been the nobody in that group. LOL We were constantly getting shushed by the surrounding folk. Anyway, sorry I missed ya. Next time!

Wendy~~official name dropper of the Valley Forge Expo /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara
03-24-2003, 07:56 PM
A foot taller??? No Kidding?? Did I really see him or did I think I was looking at one of the 18s and Unders?? Where was he and why didn't he play in the tourny?????

Barbara~~~has a second wind now, will be good until 10 pm...

TomBrooklyn
03-24-2003, 08:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Well, my bud Tom here ran all the way to the 7 ball and then...I'll let him tell you! <hr /></blockquote>No comment at this time. I may tell that story in my book.

eg8r
03-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Come on we wanna hear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pleaseeeeee.

He has got to be better in person. Right????

eg8r

CarolNYC
03-25-2003, 04:37 AM
Hi Fred,
Did we have a great time or what?It was a pleasure hanging with you and just sharing quality time (Vegas was too hectic,ha ha ha)your the best and I love ya right back,BABY!
Hey, was that WEI thing too funny or what?ha ha ha ha-(I didnt know how to use the WEI table in the beginning, never even heard of it, but WEI is on my league,ha ha ha ha,uh,duh!)Wei,Wei-table,okay,and two and two is four!ha ha ha-thanks for clearing that up for me Fred!Love ya,always!

Eric,my dear friend-what can I say!For those who have not met Eric yet, he is the most righteous,humble ,gentle person you can meet-this man not only talks the talk, but walks the walk-Way to go Eric-you are definitely"The Man!"
You are ALWAYS in my heart!:):):)

Barb-definitely the nuts! Thanks Barb!

Rich R. and Cathy-love ya!

Wendy-tell my "sunshine" I'll be up there next week to double up!

Stay well all and we will be together again,soon!

On the road again.....................
Peacing,
Carol:):):):):):):):)

CarolNYC
03-25-2003, 05:16 AM
Forgive me,
I neglected to mention 3 others and here they are:
Vicki-although very brief, t was nice to meet you!

Chris NC-same thing-thanks for saying "Hi" and I hope you and your son had a nice time!

Thierry Layani-Im left absolutely speechless on you! There are no words for the kindness in your eyes- your cues, you possess a gift-no doubt "beautiful" I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you soon!

Carol:)

Voodoo Daddy
03-25-2003, 05:58 AM
Cant wait until April...Eric, Carol and Voodoo in/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifNYC!!! Then Eric can tell me the "Fast Larry" story &lt;in which I have already been told but wanna see Erics face during the story, just once&gt; Maybe, if I have time I would love to see/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifWendy again.

Rich R.
03-25-2003, 06:03 AM
Eric, I think you have to share your Fast Larry story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would love to know what happened.

Fred Agnir
03-25-2003, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>
Hey, was that WEI thing too funny or what?ha ha ha ha-(I didnt know how to use the WEI table in the beginning, never even heard of it, but WEI is on my league,ha ha ha ha,uh,duh!)Wei,Wei-table,okay,and two and two is four!ha ha ha-thanks for clearing that up for me Fred!Love ya,always!
<hr /></blockquote>It has now dawned on me that it's possible that several CCBers actually know who Wei is, and that they just didn't realize that he's a regular player at the Carom Cafe' and a friend of Ira Lee.

Fred

Fred Agnir
03-25-2003, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Forgive me,
I neglected to mention 3 others and here they are:
Vicki-although very brief, t was nice to meet you!
<hr /></blockquote>What booth?

Fred

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Ooooooo Spidey.... Don't ask Eric about Fast Larry.

(but it it is hilarious!!)

I spied on one of his expositions. Nothing new or remarkable.

Barbara~~~getting sleepier.... <hr /></blockquote>

About Larry,

Not much I can say. I was in and out so quick that I did not get much of a chance to spend at his booth. I do know that others were performing there though.

I have seen his tapes, though, so know that the skills of a very fine trick artist are there. He was out of the circuit for a few years due to personal illness and is just now getting back into the business. I would expect that it might take him a few shows to get back into the swing of things.

How he did at valley forge, I do not know, but I do wish him all of the success in the world in the same way that I would wish fred, or barbara or anyone else sucess as a poolplayer who had been away from it for a time and was attempting a come back.

just my .02

Laura

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Well, I'm finally back! Just a few ramblings:

Fast Larry~~~thank you for the free Video tapes of you and Wonder Dog. Oh yeah, thanks for the Lay, er I mean Lei. Oh yeah, thanks for the posters too /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TomBrooklyn~~~my bud from Brooklyn. Ladies and Gents, my bud here got picked out of a drawing over at the Fast Larry booth. He was to play a rack of 9 ball with this other guy that was picked out of a drawing. They were playing for a pool table. A POOL TABLE!!!!! I can't remember which brand but it's the kind with the leather netted pockets. It was an 8 footer and really nice. Well, my bud Tom here ran all the way to the 7 ball and then...I'll let him tell you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir, The Wolves~~~I heard you were there. Sorry I missed you. Hey Fred, you were at the finals. So was I. You might've seen me. I was sitting towards the entrance with Tony R, Frankie H., Tommy K., Ron P., Karen C., Julie K., and Karen A. I would've been the nobody in that group. LOL We were constantly getting shushed by the surrounding folk. Anyway, sorry I missed ya. Next time!

Wendy~~official name dropper of the Valley Forge Expo /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I am so sorry I missed you too 9ball. I am hoping for a trip to nyc this summer to visit my ccb friends and to take a lesson. Any suggestions?

About Tom...It looks like we will be getting some money in the near future to fix up our condo, pay bills and will have enough left over to buy a new table. Scott said diamond is good. That leaves a very lonely 8 ft table that we will no longer need. This has been offered to my good friend tom b for free as long as he comes to get it. So Tom will be getting his table after all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Well, my bud Tom here ran all the way to the 7 ball and then...I'll let him tell you! <hr /></blockquote>No comment at this time. I may tell that story in my book. <hr /></blockquote>

And a fine book it will be /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

9 Ball Girl
03-25-2003, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Maybe, if I have time I would love to see/ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gifWendy again. <hr /></blockquote>

No doubt! I already got the invite from Eric whilst at the Valley! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Come on we wanna hear. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pleaseeeeee.

He has got to be better in person. Right????

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I did meet him. I have also talked hours to him on the phone. I know him as well as is possible under the circumstances. I have been also honest with him about the way he comes across here but in private mail. He is very nice in person and on the phone when the person he is talking to gives him some respect. He also helps those who help him.

He is not a bad person. He just says things that turn people off. There are simply things that he has said here that ccb folks reacted to which do not bother me.I am not excusing or aggreeing with the insults he said, just that they did not bother me, because I know why.

I guess that is enuff said before I get into real deep doodoo except to say that we all have egos,and get our feathers ruffled at times and are even downright nasty at times. If anything is my worse fault it is a tendency to not overlook the faults of others, especially those close to me, while at the same time thinking I deserve to have my faults overlooks. You know 'it is okay if I am not perfect, but you d well better be perfect and cater to all of my whims'. Considering my glaring personality defects,I cannot judge another when I myself am not perfect. I know you asked about Larry, but thinking about how imperfect I am does relate to his imperfections imo.

Gosh, last night ww said something that made me mad and before I knew it, the glass bowl I was holding crashed against a bookshelf 8 feet away and broke to smithereens.

I mean, gosh, after that fine act, how can I judge another?

Laura

cycopath
03-25-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>Gosh, last night ww said something that made me mad and before I knew it, the glass bowl I was holding crashed against a bookshelf 8 feet away and broke to smithereens.
<hr /></blockquote>Geez, I'm guessing somebody didn't get "lucky" last night.

P.S. Remind me to never piss you off Laura, atleast when you are holding cookware. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-25-2003, 11:31 AM
If you tell me your Fast Larry story I'll tell you my Grady Matthews story. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-25-2003, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
.......I also gave Thierry Layani the go-ahead to build me a cue. I love the hit of the Layani conical joint setup, and really have no idea why I haven't bought one yet........
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah we were all wondering about that too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the report. Oh well, maybe next year.

Deeman
03-25-2003, 11:44 AM
I did not meet Larry as I had planned. Maybe that's good, maybe not. I guess I just enjoyed myself so much at the Expo for two days I just never got around to it. I will probably forever be doomed to a table length of draw! Sorry I missed meeting some of you other folks but I pretty much glued myself to the Men's Tournament and trying to keep my wife from buying excessive pool trinkets. She did get a new cue, a cue dude type holder and a chalk holder so I guess I came out O.K. Of course, we spent about $200 on beer and Philly steak sandwiches! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dee

Barbara
03-25-2003, 11:45 AM
C'mon Wally, tell us your Grady Matthews story...

Barbara~~~half human today... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>Gosh, last night ww said something that made me mad and before I knew it, the glass bowl I was holding crashed against a bookshelf 8 feet away and broke to smithereens.
<hr /></blockquote>Geez, I'm guessing somebody didn't get "lucky" last night.

P.S. Remind me to never piss you off Laura, atleast when you are holding cookware. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It is funny today.It was weird. I did not even intentionally throw it. It just effortlessly flew out of my hand, with no muscle whatsoever. I thought d, if I can do that, I should be able to break really well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is that what they mean by 'speed kills' /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Laura

cycopath
03-25-2003, 02:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I thought, if I can do that, I should be able to break really well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>Well... you broke the hell out of that bowl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alfie
03-26-2003, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Greg/Diamond:</font><hr> The answer to your question is "yes" the same sizes were used and will be at all tournaments in the near future. We are happy to have specifications established for the league players. We will continue asking for future improvements and now that specs have been laid out they can be critiqued...........Greg/Diamond <hr /></blockquote>Are those the pocket dimensions on the 7' Smarts sold to the general public?

What are the pocket dimensions on the 9' Smarts?

06-07-2003, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Come on we wanna hear (what happened at VF with FL)<hr /></blockquote>Well, the story finally comes out. Fast Larry just told it on another internet forum. Here are the relevant parts of what he said:

This kid walks up to my booth at the Hopkins Expo and tries to embarass me and pick a fight. He is telling me he is going to kick my ass in front of all these people. I was doing a show at the time. I may be old, but I am a 22nd degree black belt, so I can defend my self. He cornered me and shut down my show. He walked up with his buddy, so it would be 2 on 1. He is shoving his finger in my face yelling at me. I then said, "OK, do you see that back door, lets walk out there behind the dumpster, the 3 of us &amp; settle this thing now."

He then proved to me he was a little yellow bellied coward because he did not want to fight, he only wanted to cause a scene. I gave him his chance and he passed it up. But he got more agressive and began to hit my face with his finger.

He keeps pointing his finger in my face one inch from my eyes &amp; yelling. I can see there is no solution to this now other than me kicking his ass, so I dropped into a Karate position saying "That's it, put your finger in my face once more, ...please, make my day. I am going to drop you."

His pal turned white, grabbed him by the collar &amp; dragged him down the aisle with his tail between his legs. Like I said, a total yellow bellied coward.

He has posted lies about me on several boards. These have been below the belt personal slanders. Now you know the story.