PDA

View Full Version : joints

Geoff
03-24-2003, 01:16 PM
anyone care to explain what effect different joints have on a cue? Specifically, the various joints offered on Viking cues. Is there a certain kind of joint that is best? What type of joint would be best for a beginning player? Does it even matter? What about a break cue and a playing cue, whould you want to 2 to have different joints? Thanks!

JPB
03-24-2003, 02:27 PM
For what might be taken as a controversial view, check this out. web page (http://www.caromcues.com/) It will explain some things to you though. Everybody argues about this and people have their own preferences. You will have to find your own likes and dislikes. Mine in order (and I have used all)

1. Wood joint. (Not flat faced "wood to wood")
2. Stainless steel uni-loc.
3. Regular piloted metal joint.
4. Flat faced joint with a pin. Some I prefer over others. I have not found one I particularly like.

Then again, I can miss balls with any of them, so it may not matter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

qSHAFT
03-24-2003, 05:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> For what might be taken as a controversial view, check this out. web page (http://www.caromcues.com/) It will explain some things to you though. Everybody argues about this and people have their own preferences. You will have to find your own likes and dislikes. Mine in order (and I have used all)

1. Wood joint. (Not flat faced "wood to wood")
2. Stainless steel uni-loc.
3. Regular piloted metal joint.
4. Flat faced joint with a pin. Some I prefer over others. I have not found one I particularly like.

Then again, I can miss balls with any of them, so it may not matter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I am suprised your no 1 answer wasn't "no joint", since that web site you linked to was saying that the goal of the wood screw joint is to be more like a one piece cue.

Cheers - qSHAFT

JPB
03-24-2003, 05:39 PM
"I am suprised your no 1 answer wasn't "no joint", since that web site you linked to was saying that the
goal of the wood screw joint is to be more like a one piece cue."

At that point the issue is portability. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess some snooker cues are one piece, but I don't want to lug one about.

Actually, I think the ability to have spare shafts is a decent reason in addition to portability.

03-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Geoff, find a local cue dealer and try cues with different joints out. I've owned cues of almost every common joint type, and have played equally well with all of them. My opinion: the joint affects the sound of the hit more than anything, but it's still an important part of the overall feel. I currently own flat-faced wood to wood (McDermott and a custom Chris Nitti) and a stainless steel piloted (Schon). I like all of them. Try them out and get the one you like best. You'll end up experimenting and changing over the years anyway.