PDA

View Full Version : Round Robin Tournament at VF

Rich R.
03-24-2003, 03:06 PM
I promised Chris, I would post my opinion of the Ladies Round Robin Tournament at Valley Forge, so here goes.

Although I enjoyed watching some quality pool, played by some very good players, the round robin format, with only 8 players, just did not do it for my wife and me. Although we are fans and supporters of the WPBA, my wife and I got bored watching the same ladies play, match after match. There just wasn't enough variety. The fact that the out come of the tournament was so easily predictable, added to the sad situation.
During the first session, I told my wife, who I believed would be in the finals and who would win the event. It was obvious from the start, what the outcome would be.

Maybe if more of the top ten players were involved, it would have been more exciting. The competition would, at least, have been a little closer.

I heard many rumors about why some of the other top players were not involved. Since it is all rumor, I will not say what players were mentioned and why they weren't involved. As anyone can guess, as in most situations like this, it revolves around money.

Obviously, we were not the only spectators dissatisfied. Attendance was much lower than other years. Many of the die hard fans, expressed their disappointment with the event.

I only hope, that some time between now and next year, the WPBA and Allen Hopkins Productions, can come to their senses and hammer out a deal for a complete WPBA tournament.

Allen Hopkins has to agree that the WPBA must increase their hosting fee, to help their organization continue to grow.
On the other hand, the WPBA has to show a little loyalty to promoters, such as Hopkins, who have sponsored events, year after year, for a long time. Maybe a discount for a multi year deal is in order. This may also be a good way to negotiate with other promoters. It takes time to build interest in a tournament and I think multi year deals would benefit all involved.

I believe both the WPBA and Allen Hopkins Productions would benefit from a long term deal. Sensible heads should get together and find some common ground, on which, to make a deal. Although Hopkins may have suffered some finacial set back, from the ladies tournament this year, judging by what my wife and I heard in the stands, the WPBA also suffered a loss in their fan base.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Rich,

Hey buddy, how are you and your lovely wife doing? I think I saw you two on the 7 ball challenge watching Earl and Mika play.. It was the beard that gave you away... LOL

Good report on the RR matches with the ladies.

IMO it was a good move for Allen to at least have some of the lady pros there for the trounament, but probably disappointing to the majority of the attendees expecting to see all of the WPA pros. Allen had to have something, even a RR tournament is better than nothing at all.

Maybe next year..

Hope to see you at the US Open again this year..

Tickets go on sale April 1st..

Popcorn
03-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Isn't the best player supposed to win?

cycopath
03-24-2003, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Isn't the best player supposed to win? <hr /></blockquote>That's only under controlled conditions.

Barbara
03-24-2003, 04:31 PM
I have to agree with you Rich. Every time I passed by the Women's Pro Arena, the stands were vacant. I hope they get them back next year.

OTOH, the men's event drew a lot of spectators. I peeked in on Sunday around 7 pm and it looked to be a full house.

Barbara~~~getting sleepy... very sleepy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
03-24-2003, 05:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Isn't the best player supposed to win? <hr /></blockquote>

I think his complaint was that there were so few "good" players that it was easy to know who was going to be "best".

SpiderMan

Rich R.
03-25-2003, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Hey buddy, how are you and your lovely wife doing? I think I saw you two on the 7 ball challenge watching Earl and Mika play.. It was the beard that gave you away... LOL<hr /></blockquote>
Tom, that was us. I can not hide. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Now, where is my Emmy, for best performance by a spectator?

Rich R.
03-25-2003, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Isn't the best player supposed to win? <hr /></blockquote>
The best player is definitely suppose to win.
In this case, the spread in ability was too wide for such a small group. Karen C. and Helena T. dominated the field. I would have enjoyed more competition.

Rich R.
03-25-2003, 06:28 AM
I have received information from a very reliable source, indicating the the WPBA has, in the past, given price breaks to Allen Hopkins Productions for tournaments at the EXPO. Maybe it is time for Hopkins to put out a little more money on their end.

I do not have first hand knowledge of any of the negotiations, so I won't speculat further, other than to go back to my original post, and say, both sides should get together and make a fair deal.