PDA

View Full Version : Valley Forge Report - part 1

Ross
03-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Ok, here is the first part of my impressions as a first time visitor to the Hopkins extravaganza.

First and foremost, the event was was VERY well organized and run. It was amazing to me that Allen and Dawn were not running around frantically handling last minute emergencies. They even seemed fairly relaxed and appeared to enjoy schmoozing with the crowd (with Dawn taking breaks to play in the pro tourney!). I couldn't do that even for a dinner party, so I have to give them a lot of credit.

The first event I attended was the womens pro tourney. There were only two tables, the stands were about 1/3 full, and there was piped in easy-listening "wimmins" music. At first I kind of enjoyed this. I found it relaxing and I was able to sit as close as I wanted to the players. After about an hour though, I began to think I might prefer to watch paint dry. Most of the crowd looked like they were about to go to sleep as well. No crowd noise, no animation from the players, and except for Karen and Helena, a lot of very average pool. The alternating break contributed to the lack of excitement as well. When one player got a big lead you couldn't even hope for the drama of a rack-running comeback.

Story 1:

The only drama was provided when Belinda Campos effectively put on some obvious sharking moves on Karen. Karen won the first race to 6 convincingly 6-2. In the second set, after a couple of games Karen was down on a long difficult shot with the cue ball frozen to the rail. She had taken a few warm up strokes and was about to pull the trigger when suddenly Belinda jumped up out of her chair at the other end of the table and ran up to look at the cue ball. I couldn't hear what she said but I think it was something like "Sorry, I thought you touched the cue ball." Belinda sat down then and you could almost see steam coming out of Karen's ears. Karen tried to gather herself, but didn't and missed the shot.
Only a couple of games later, Karen was again down on a shot, half way though her warm up strokes when Belinda decided to jump up and run over to look at the shot. I think her story this time was that she wanted to see if the shot was going to require a close enough hit that someone should watch it. But Belinda looked at the shot and decided not to call anyone. (No surprise - the shot was not even close to being one that would need someone to watch the hit.) Karen had lost it by now, but she unwisely tried to play through it. She lost the set 6-3, the only set she lost in the tourney.
Fortunately, justice was served when Karen won the sudden death playoff game.
I was very disappointed in Belinda's actions though. And next time, Karen, as if you would ever read this - stop and take a break when you are that bothered. Go to the bathroom, take your time. Leave your opponent sitting in her seat facing the audience. Or call over the tourney director to let your opponent know you won't just allow poor sportsmanship slide. And don't let your opponent steal a victory this way, as she almost did here, or she will try it again.

More VF stories to follow, including a first hand account of the Eric-Larry confrontation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Have to go back to work!

Paul_Mon
03-25-2003, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>

More VF stories to follow, including a first hand account of the Eric-Larry confrontation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Have to go back to work! <hr /></blockquote>

Nice job Ross. Hurry back with the follow up

Paul

Vagabond
03-25-2003, 07:23 AM
Howdy fellow Southerner,
I do not want to challenge your perception of Belinda but I want to inform u that Belinda is a Christian and a friend of mine and is not known to be a shark.Karen is also a good buddy of mine.Karen is a better player and better player won that match.By the way what do u think of Babineau`s in Cary? Have u played on those tables in the back room? Those are the tables from Boone( chris`s place)purchased by Paul Babineau).Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Singlemalt
03-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Yea, I have played on those tables in the back room. They are TIGHT....

Ross
03-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Hi Vagabond,
I haven't made it over to Rabineu's yet even though I work only a few miles away. I spend most of pool playing time in Durham and Chapel Hill. I played on Chris' tables in Boone though before he sold them. Its impressive that Chris would bother to replace such nice tables - most room owners won't even replace or repair p.o.s. ones!

Now about Belinda at VF. Of course I can't read her mind so I can go only by her behaviors. And my frame of reference is that I don't think a player should ever jump out of his chair and run up to the table after his opponent is down on the shot unless that player is pretty certain a foul has occurred.

In the first instance there was no foul and its not clear how Belinda could have thought there was. The ob was frozen to the rail the whole time. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she thought she saw some cue ball movement from her vantage point about 15 feet away and assumed that Karen would not call it on herself (although that does not jibe with what I've seen of Karen).

In the second case, her behavior was clearly unprofessional, if not deliberate sharking. Karen studied the shot for a while in her usual methodical manner. There was no question about what the shot was going to be and Belinda had plenty of time to observe the layout and say anything if she wanted to. But she waited until Karen had set her feet, bent over, and taken a few warm up stokes. At that point she jumped up to look to see if the hit was going to be close, so Karen had to back out of her shot, and regather herself mentally. As I mentioned, the hit was not going to be close at all, and Belinda had no grounds for calling anyone over to watch the hit, so she sat down. It certainly looked like a deliberate shark. If not it was rude and unprofessional.

Since I've never seen Belinda play before and you are putting in the good word for her, I will keep an open mind (not that I care that much one way or another). This was just a first impression and should be taken as nothing more.

And you are right, the better player won!

PS- Maybe I'll see you at one of the local halls sometime and we can play a few!

Vagabond
03-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Wellcome singlemalt,
Which is your favorite single malt scotch-Glenfeditch or Glen levitt?U will like the CCB-a very entertaining and educational forum.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vagabond
03-25-2003, 07:14 PM
Howdy Ross,
Belinda is one of the veteran pros.She is well respected by most of her colleagues.She served on the WPBA board in various roles.she dedicated her life to God and pool.Next time if u see her say hello to her and u will know what I am talking about.
You got to visit Babeneau`s-an upscale place,lot of players are from decent income brackets and are /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif good players,lots of women,pretty waitreses.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

q4summit
03-26-2003, 03:17 AM
"Belinda is a Christian "

I dont want to step on toes or piss anyone off but.. what does being christan have anything to do with sharking? Last time I checked, Christians sinned on the same scale as everyone else, that includes Sharking. They aren't exempt.

Marc

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 05:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote q4summit:</font><hr> "Belinda is a Christian "

I dont want to step on toes or piss anyone off but.. what does being christan have anything to do with sharking? Last time I checked, Christians sinned on the same scale as everyone else, that includes Sharking. They aren't exempt.

Marc <hr /></blockquote>

I have seen people of all faiths and even declared atheists display a high standard of ethics.

I think that a 'true' christian is a different type of animal. This means that their true objective is to be like Christ. It is, indeed, a sad commentary that many declared christians give christianity a bad name. One time I was camping and met two missionaries. They were different than any christian I had seen. They were pure of spirit, full of love for their fellow man and non judgemental. Too bad that there arent more like them.

Laura

q4summit
03-26-2003, 01:58 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Point taken.

Marc