PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER SHAFT CLEANER

03-25-2003, 06:10 AM
Alright, I'll throw another curve into this whole shaft cleaning controversy. I had put this reply at the end of another thread, but it may deserve its own. I have been using a product which no one has yet to mention and the smallest container it comes in is pints for about the same price as the one to two ounce specialty products. The product is Formby's Conditioning Furniture Refinisher. I have been using it for well over a year now on all my cues, including a Predator-2, with no ill effects. The stuff removes dirt, grime, and chalk right away. I use it after every play session and am always amazed by what accumulates on the shaft. The product will not raise the grain nor dry out the wood, and the conditioners really make the shaft feel slick. Word of caution, the product WILL remove varnish, lacquer, and shellac so be careful on old or really cheap cues. It will not harm polyurethane nor any patina which you may wish to preserve. It cleans the ferrule nicely also, but I wouldn't get too close to the tip itself. For an extra clean shaft, I occasionally use extra fine steel wool saturated with the product and then wipe-off with a clean rag. The stuff is available in Wal-Mart but be sure you get the Conditioning Furniture Refinisher because Formby's puts out several other products which could cause harm. Post a reply if anyone else tries the stuff.