PDA

View Full Version : Fast Larry Is In NYC 3/25/03- ?

TomBrooklyn
03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
He will be putting on demonstrations and clinics in Brooklyn. Probably one night only.

bluewolf
03-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Do you know when he starts down 95 s?

Laura

TomBrooklyn
03-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Tommorrow afternoon sometime or he might stay another day around here. Not sure yet.

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 02:52 AM
Fast Larry visited New Era Billiards at 4008 8th Avenue in Brooklyn tonight and performed some impromptu trick shots and provided the crowd with some tips in a mini-clinic.

Later, nAz and Platinum Billiards (47th St. between 2nd/3rd Aves) hosted Larry who put on a mini-exhibition of masses, 5 rail timed wing shots and some other shots he invented, and Max the Wonder Dog got in the act and ran out a couple of racks of 8 ball.

I got a regular lesson from Larry at New Era which I had to take with a bevy of spectators watching, but I just ignored them during the lesson time.

Larry may make a Pilgrimage to visit Jean Balukas and Hall of Fame Billiards on Ovington Avenue at 5th Avenue tomorrow night (Thursday) when they have their bi-weekly Open Tournament.

Friday he will be heading south down the east coast.

bluewolf
03-27-2003, 05:11 AM
Tom,

What did you learn in your lesson with Fast?

Laura

Rich R.
03-27-2003, 05:16 AM
Tom, don't keep us in suspense. What is Larry's secret to his super draw shot? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 10:34 AM
In my lesson with Fast Larry

- He did a couple of tests and discovered my alignment of the cue stick was a little off . He gave me a way to correct it. I will have to work on it and then retest myself from time to time. One test I can do myself, the other I will need someone to check me while I do it.

- He found I bob my head and upper arm a little when I'm shooting. He gave me a drill to work on for eliminating the arm bob.

- He checked for my dominant eye. It was the one I was using so no problem there.

- He taught me how to physically and mentally approach the shot and get down on it.

- He corrected the tightness of my grip on the cue stick.

- He taught me some different hand bridge techniques, especially to get the bridge lower to facilitate a more level stroke.

- He taught me which bridge to use on long shots to make them easier to line up and aim at.

- He taught me how to vary my set up to the ball to aid in hitting the CB at different speeds.

- He corrected where I am aiming for the pocket on down the rail shots.

- He showed me how to check out a table I hadn't played on before to figure out how it plays.

- He showed me a cross bank shot to the side that was easier than it looked and an alternative to shooting down the rail in certain situations.

- He taught me the three rail bank from one corner to the other and how to make adjustments using a parallel line when the starting position was not in the corner. (I knew how to make adjustments on this shot using a point in the distance, so this was different.) He showed the correct place to hit the cue ball for this type of shot.

- He taught me how to make the 9 rail shot with power and land the cue ball on a hundred dollar bill. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

- He gave me a tip on how to better set up to reach the OB when it was far away but not far enough to need the mechanical bridge.

- And the number one thing he taught me was... a different way of holding the cue stick to lock it on to target and hit with great accuracy.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif=TomBk

bluewolf
03-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Gosh, Tom, If you do all of those drills, you are bound to do well.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> What is Larry's secret to his super draw shot? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>I didn't work on that, as that is more of a specialty shot that wasn't a priority for me to get into, but he worked with someone else on it and a couple of shots later the guy was shooting table length and drawing back a table length after the hit.

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Fast is supposed to be in dc on saturday. Actually we are north of dc. After a stop here, I believe he will be back on 95s, going back to atlanta.

Just letting folks know. From what he taught Tom b, sounds like he teaches a good lesson.

Laura