PDA

View Full Version : In Search of Mosconi Film/Video

03-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Years ago I saw on t.v. a film depicting Willie Mosconi making a 6-rail kick shot in an actual game of straight pool; also (from a separate film, perhaps) shooting some dumbfounding trick shots. I'm in search of a video of that film(s), or the film itself. Any leads?

Barbara
03-25-2003, 06:24 PM
The trick shot movie may have been "The Super Cue Men". Jimmy Caras was also in that movie.

Barbara

Hopster
03-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Benny, Bert Kinister has the tape of Cue Men i beleive. I know he has some Mosconi stuff. He has the series from Atlantic City, the legends of pool series. Give him a call.

NBC-BOB
03-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Well I have a tape with willie in B/W doing that 6 rail kick shot to win the tournament.I would have to pull the tape out of my closet and go through it to give you the details, because I don't remember the exact tournament.
Also on the tape is willie doing trick shots using two tables. I don't recall it having to do with any movie.
I don't have two vcr's to make a copy and we would have to figure out a way to make the copy.Although I work for a major network and there's lots of recording equipment here I can't use there equipment for this. you can send me an email and we'll see what we can work out. bob

Hopster
03-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Hey Bob, you got any connections over at ABC ? I would love to get the matches of Willie and Fats from 78. If you get any info i would appreciate it.
They were originally aired on ABC,s wide world of sports.

Ed Wiggins
03-27-2003, 01:08 PM
The film is an MGM short subject, "The Willie Mosconi Story", supposedly a recreation of a title match in which Mosconi defeated Andrew Ponzi. In it he makes a (5-rail) kick shot to win the match. Personally, I have always thought it was pure fantasy. Willie ties himself up behind the 8-ball when he needs only one more ball???

Oh well, it was entertainment for us old-timers who were waiting to see the second feature of a twin bill.

Here is the shot on the Wei table

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/%7Ewei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%Hp7D1%MJ7D2%Pr6D4%UL4D7%Vm4[1%WR1[2%Xr1D8%YC9Q0%ZQ4[1%[S4C9
%\C2P1%]r5U7%^T1C5%eC4a2%_n3Z8%`p0X9%as1V2
)END

Ed

L.S. Dennis
03-27-2003, 02:06 PM
I've seen that shot before as well. Willie Elder did it on one of his tapes.

I've always though it was strange that as popular as Mosconi was that there is so little of his matches available on tape for the public to buy. I know many of his matches were filmed but where are they all?