PDA

View Full Version : The path to sl5/long

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 05:53 AM
I got this thing figured out. To get to that level, I have to not only be a good shooter and good on safes,banks but also to be able to get the cb where I want it and to be,pick the right balls to shoot, really good at breaking up clusters and knowing when to do so is to my advantage.

I can safe a sl4 and pot about as good, but they have definately got me on shape and getting on the balls they need to get on with the cb in the right place. That is why at the present I can only beat a sl4 in a 4-2 race but would lose in a 3-3 race.

I spent an all day lesson with scott. Boy did we cover a lot. We improved my stroke, stop shot draw and break and ability to use a mechanical bridge. I also got some drills on banks and learned why I was missing some of my cuts.

Then scott met with me at a pool hall the next day for two hours. We worked on shape, ball speed and some english.

I found out that I was hitting hard enough to pot the long cut but not hard enough to get the cb on the next shot. He showed me how to cheat in an easy shot and use top and speed to break up a difficult cluster. He also helped me to figure out which balls to choose next and to predict the path of the cb based on the tangent line and how to recognize a scratch shot and how to prevent it.

My break used to be sooo bad and now it is my best thing. Scott said that when I use the technique he taught me I have a relatively high sl break.This means that all of the balls bust up leaving no clusters, some of the balls come to the other end of the table and the cb ends up where I want it.

Gosh there is more but I will be getting six hours of tapes from him so that I can practice more stuff and remember more too.

Last night I invited ww to 8 ball. He said 'do you want a spot'? I said no, just help me to decide the order of the balls to shoot and the shape. So, after last night my shape was a little better, not great, but a definate improvement. My shooting and breaking were good too and my draw stop.

I still dont have perfect control because Sometimes when I tried to send the cb to the next ball, it went too far.And of course there are other shape things I need to learn.

But I definately do feel that I am on the right path.

Nothing like quality instruction.

Laura

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 06:24 AM
I hope nobody thinks I set my goals too high. I have long term goals and am confident that I will reach them, although not being a fortune teller, I do not know the timing.

For me it is 'one day at a time', working hard and knowing what I need to work on, continuing to improve sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly.

There is no frustration for me. Just the belief that with hard work, quality instruction and some 'pluck' thrown in, goals can be reached.

That is my disclaimer.

Laura /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Icon of Sin
03-26-2003, 06:48 AM
Im a 4 now, my goal is to be a SL5 by the end of the year, I should deftinately get it.... I have been shooting over my level alot recently

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Icon of Sin:</font><hr> Im a 4 now, my goal is to be a SL5 by the end of the year, I should deftinately get it.... I have been shooting over my level alot recently <hr /></blockquote>

That is super!!! I guess it is better to shoot above ones level before getting promoted. As an almost 5, you must be very good at all of the things I am starting to work on.

We have a really good 5 on our team. My husband says he is shooting beneath his level because he used to be a good six but fell back due to not being able to practice. I must admit, that he is a big role model of mine.

Laura

Rich R.
03-26-2003, 08:57 AM
Bluewolf, some day you will get to be an SL-5. At that point, you may realize, you are still a beginner and there is so much more to learn.

Stop worrying about what SL you are and enjoy the game.

9 Ball Girl
03-26-2003, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Stop worrying about what SL you are and enjoy the game. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap, tap, tap. I agree. I say just sit back, play your best, and enjoy the ride.

When I first played in the APA back in 2001, I started out as a 3, dropping to a 2, and then back as a 3 again. I picked up the APA thing again this last season and started out as a 3 again. In a matter of 5 weeks, I became a 4, then in another 5 weeks I became a 5. At that point I stopped playing--not because my SL was on the rise, but because I got bored. But anyway, I still have a lot to learn. Pool is a sport where you're constantly learning. It never stops. JMO

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Bluewolf, some day you will get to be an SL-5. At that point, you may realize, you are still a beginner and there is so much more to learn.

Stop worrying about what SL you are and enjoy the game. <hr /></blockquote>

I am sure you are right rich, watching ww still learn. I used to watch our sl5 do all that shape stuff and the banks and all and think 'no way I will ever be that good'. Now I am seeing that gap close a little at a time and scott lee is so wonderful. He gave me a lot of drills, hope and diagnostics. A super human being!!!

Laura

Kato
03-26-2003, 10:49 AM
Laura, do not be consumed by becoming a certain SL. Why don't you concentrate on the ball in front of you, the one you are shooting now. You make that ball, you can be whatever skill level you want.

Kato

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Stop worrying about what SL you are and enjoy the game. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap, tap, tap. I agree. I say just sit back, play your best, and enjoy the ride.

When I first played in the APA back in 2001, I started out as a 3, dropping to a 2, and then back as a 3 again. I picked up the APA thing again this last season and started out as a 3 again. In a matter of 5 weeks, I became a 4, then in another 5 weeks I became a 5. At that point I stopped playing--not because my SL was on the rise, but because I got bored. But anyway, I still have a lot to learn. Pool is a sport where you're constantly learning. It never stops. JMO

<hr /></blockquote>

WENDY!!! Get your a** back to the poolhall and become a six or a pro. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Laura, do not be consumed by becoming a certain SL. Why don't you concentrate on the ball in front of you, the one you are shooting now. You make that ball, you can be whatever skill level you want.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks kato.

Laura

9 Ball Girl
03-26-2003, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> WENDY!!! Get your a** back to the poolhall and become a six or a pro. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

Well, I'm not doing the 8 ball thing right now, just doing 9 ball tourneys when I can. For me to become a Pro, I'd probably have to quit my job and devote ALL of my time to practicing. Damn job gets in the way of things, I tell ya. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Steve Lipsky
03-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Laura, my one piece of advice to you would be to concentrate less (or none) of your practice time on banks.

I forget if you are currently an SL-2 or SL-3, but I think the path to higher skill levels is always made by increasing your consistency in getting out of the easier tables.

Even though banks are a lot easier on a bar table than on a 9-footer, you are still "allowed" to miss them, even at the higher SLs. What I mean is, when they come up in a game, they are missable. (If Johnny Archer is playing Earl Strickland, and Johnny has to bank the 8 to get position on the 9, Earl's happy. Even if the bank looks easy, Earl knows that it's always a lower-percentage shot than if Johnny were straight in. So it follows that if the pro is allowed to miss it, so is an APA SL-5.)

The key to your improvement will be when you are always getting out with, say, 4 or 5 open balls. Situations where you need to get out, and you begin to do so. Making the occasional bank shot will not significantly improve your win-loss ratio, but beginning to never miss hangers will.

Just my opinion,
Steve

bigbro6060
03-26-2003, 12:24 PM
my advice is to go find a 12 ft Snooker table and find out what potting is really about!

More and more 9ball players are practising on Snooker tables just a bit to help their potting

Flaws in your stroke really show up when you have to be so precise

John G
03-26-2003, 12:39 PM
Laura, I have to agree with Steve LIpsky. I was a pretty fair bank pool player but when playing nine ball, I lived by this saying. NEVER bank anything you can cut and almost everything can be cut. It reduces the variables. That alone increases your chances of winning. Good luck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, John G

Rod
03-26-2003, 01:16 PM
Laura
I agree with most comments made. Forget the numbers and ratings and just play. What is an SL anyway, nevermind don't answer. Your game improves by making balls and playing position. duh, who didn't know that?

Put three balls on the table, BIH run them out in any order. Similar to this--START(
%Bq6O6%CE3O0%IZ6N9%Pn1T9

)END

Do that 5 in a row, if you can do that then run them in rotation, if you can do that add a 4th ball ect. There are a number of drills but even completing simple ones like this really will improve your game. Forget practicing hard cuts banks etc, it's not likely your going to shoot them in a game situation anyway. Just the drill above will have you shooting cut shots and learn where the c/b is going on those shots. Establish a goal what ever you choose but keep it in the context of normal game situations.

Steve Lipsky
03-26-2003, 01:27 PM
John, I agree. I tell anyone who will listen that until a player is at approximately the B level (and possibly higher), he will probably win more games by NEVER shooting a bank shot. Play safe instead.

Of course there are exceptions to this. Being on a bar table is one of them, but still this shot should not be overused.

- Steve

Carlton31698
03-26-2003, 01:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Rod
START(
%Bq6O6%CE3O0%IZ6N9%Pn1T9

)END
[/quote

How do I use this? I need the web site Thanks for the help

q4summit
03-26-2003, 01:56 PM
Im only 19 (20 in april woot!) so not sure if I could join APA now or if I need to be 21. But very curious, what does SL stand for? I also take it that SL 5 would be an A player and SL6/pro would be AA+?

Marc

jjinfla
03-26-2003, 02:05 PM
Hey Steve, Wouldn't you rather bank a simple side pocket bank where you can stop the CB for position before you would cut the shot and let the CB go three rails thru traffic to get the same shape? I'm sure that that bank is a 95% for you. Jake

Eric.
03-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Hello Q,

SL stands for skill level and it varies depending on the area you play in. Some places havea slightly higher level of players. To use your example:

SL 5= C player
SL 6= C+
SL 7= B to whatever(7 is the highest SL)
also, most 7 generally fall into the B to low A players. It is rare to find one that plays A+, AA, AA+, AAA, AAA+, Open 1, Open 2 - and so on.

I know some may tell you that a SL 7 is a "near Pro", generally they are very wrong.

To answer the other question, yes you have to be 21. My suggestion, lie about your age. If you want to play that bad and that is all that there is around you, just do it. They usually won't ask for I.D., just don't try to buy booze from the bar and it won't be a big deal.

Good luck.

Eric &gt;a former 20 year old.

jjinfla
03-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Laura, Me thinks me is smelling something fishy here. You have had just too many lessons, and know too much, to still be a SL2. I think you are trying to get Kato to give you a big spot. LOL. Besides, if after receiving all those lessons and you are still a SL2 then you should ask for a refund and think tennis, bowling, chess, etc. Just kidding. Makes one wonder if taking lessons is worth the trouble. But then the Monk did make Susan Bossleman a State Champion in one year. Jake~~~thinks Laura is pulling our leg.

Steve Lipsky
03-26-2003, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Hey Steve, Wouldn't you rather bank a simple side pocket bank where you can stop the CB for position before you would cut the shot and let the CB go three rails thru traffic to get the same shape? I'm sure that that bank is a 95% for you. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Jake. I know the situation you describe, and I feel it's pretty rare in 9-ball. (It actually comes up in straight pool, when you get bad on the key ball and play the stop-shot bank to preserve the break shot position.)

If there really is that much traffic, there are probably a lot of great safe opportunities.

That being said, this is one of the few banks I could see most players employing.

Also, one's opponent must be taken into account. If you are playing a champion, you have to be more aggressive, and that bank might make sense to a lower-level player. If you are playing a fairly low shooter, there's no reason to start taking chances on bank shots.

As I mentioned, there will always be exceptions. But even the bank you mention is a stone-cold sellout if not made. This needs to play a role in the decision-making process too.

- Steve

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 04:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> Laura, Me thinks me is smelling something fishy here. You have had just too many lessons, and know too much, to still be a SL2. I think you are trying to get Kato to give you a big spot. LOL. Besides, if after receiving all those lessons and you are still a SL2 then you should ask for a refund and think tennis, bowling, chess, etc. Just kidding. Makes one wonder if taking lessons is worth the trouble. But then the Monk did make Susan Bossleman a State Champion in one year. Jake~~~thinks Laura is pulling our leg. <hr /></blockquote>

Jake,,

This is the honest truth as close as I can recall it. When I first started as an sl2, I lost a number of games which gave me a low w/l %. At the end of last session, I started winning. I am in my second session (not counting the two matches I played 3 years ago). I have played 18 matches total and won 9, I have won 6 out of 8 of my last matches.

Most people who see me think I have the skills of a strong three but not quite a four. I gave up on trying to figure out how apa does things and just am trying to get better at the things I know I need to get better at.

I guess I think that the apa rating system is somewhat inprecise but that people eventually end up ranked appropriately for their skill sooner or later.

Laura

Rod
03-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Sorry about that. The board should have a link but so far it's not happening. I just downloaded it to my desk top so I don't have to go to aother site.
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Rod

03-26-2003, 04:34 PM
[John, I agree. I tell anyone who will listen that until a player is at approximately the B level (and possibly higher), he will probably win more games by NEVER shooting a bank shot. Play safe instead.]

Isn't it still important to get a good feel for banks and kicks before you get to be a "B" player? I probably am not at that level yet, but when I do get there, I want to be very comfortable kicking at balls from tough spots in 9 ball.

Mike

"We should all sleep more soundly if we made it a rule to play billiards an hour or two each evening."

-English physician Sir Astley Cooper

TomBrooklyn
03-26-2003, 05:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I gave up on trying to figure out how apa does things and just am trying to get better <hr /></blockquote>Sure. Does a day go by that you don't post your SL level and discuss the APA rating system and compare your game to some other SL APA player? Haha. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-26-2003, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I can safe a sl4 and pot about as good, but they have definately got me on shape <hr /></blockquote>If I recall some of your prior posts correctly, your safety game is equal to that of the average SL-5. Is that correct? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Steve Lipsky
03-26-2003, 07:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tebjumpper:</font><hr> Isn't it still important to get a good feel for banks and kicks before you get to be a "B" player?

Mike
<hr /></blockquote>

Mike, kicks certainly. No matter your skill level, you will be forced to kick balls all the time playing 9-ball. But you have a choice as to whether to play a bank or not, and I'm simply saying that it's usually a bad idea for lower level players.

It of course is just my opinion, though.

- Steve

Rod
03-26-2003, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Mike, kicks certainly. No matter your skill level, you will be forced to kick balls all the time playing 9-ball. But you have a choice as to whether to play a bank or not, and I'm simply saying that it's usually a bad idea for lower level players.

It of course is just my opinion, though.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve,
I was waiting for that answer and I definately agree. Whether kicking to make a ball or play safe it teaches instinct around the rails. Far better to learn that early on as opposed to relying on jump shots. When a player really gets stuck old hoppie isn't going to get you there. Kick shots many times are the best way to hit a ball. Bank shots, well there are safety banks and missing on the correct side. Banks more than likely will end up as a sell out or lose control of whitey. Put simply, IMO of course is practice what comes up most during games and banking is not in the top three. Well unless your playing bank pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Even then there are safety's or safety banks.

Rod

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 09:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tebjumpper:</font><hr> [John, I agree. I tell anyone who will listen that until a player is at approximately the B level (and possibly higher), he will probably win more games by NEVER shooting a bank shot. Play safe instead.]

Mike

"We should all sleep more soundly if we made it a rule to play billiards an hour or two each evening."

-English physician Sir Astley Cooper <hr /></blockquote>

I agree but sometimes there is not a good safe and the bank is less risky in terms of leaving the opponent good than the safe. Then there are situations where there is only one shot, a bank on the eight.To try to safe instead of the bank is an almost sure scratch shot or the opponent is likely to be left with good on the 8, whereas going for the eight, especially a long bank, at least you have a chance and if you miss, you have leave your opponent long and hopefully hard.

In general though, I totally think you are right. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, someone also said not to focus on long hard cuts. I think that if I get better at shape, I wont have so many long cuts to deal with, but I can cut long if I have to. Sometimes I do it as a safe though, to tie up pockets.

The thing about long cuts,when I miss these it is in my stroke. When I am focussed on the fundamentals scott taught me, balls drop with regularity. So I feel it is practicing those basic stroke fundamentals and learning some shape.

Because of scott, I can now do stop shots very well and draw consistently 1,2,4 diamonds on a short shot. This way, I can use draw to get back to the middle of the table.

So much of my recent improvement I owe to scott.

Thanks to all for suggestions. I am ready to go to league and 'kill' the sl 3s, as for the 4s. I only played two and beat them 2-3..that is why I think I am not ready to 'kill' the fours in a 3-3 race /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Well time for bed...

Laura

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>I can safe a sl4 and pot about as good, but they have definately got me on shape <hr /></blockquote>If I recall some of your prior posts correctly, your safety game is equal to that of the average SL-5. Is that correct? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I beat the first four with my safety game and some shooting short cuts and easy long ones. The second four i did better on the long cuts but again imo beat her on strategy.

As far as the rest, should not have said it even if it is true because I have so much work to do in the rest of my game.

My challenge is knowing when to play safe I guess and when to go for the pots.

Being married to a 7 who thought safe was important, and he was frustrated because he couldnt get the fours on his team to do it well, he started to teach me safe when I was a beginning two.

But then, dont pool players generally think they are better than they are? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Post deleted by bluewolf

bluewolf
03-26-2003, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I gave up on trying to figure out how apa does things and just am trying to get better at the things I know I need to get better at. <hr /></blockquote>Sure. Does a day go by that you don't post your SL level and discuss the APA rating system or compare your play to some other player of one APA SL or another? Haha. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Yes. No. Whatever.But then i am very competitive.In swiming, my son talked about silver and gold swimmers, becasuse he wanted to be gold. In the swimming world, that was a b. Once he became a b, he started concentrating on being an a swimmer.

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-27-2003, 10:36 AM
i am a sl6 and want to be a 5 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

you sound like you are a pretty smart player if nothing else, with time you will go up in rank, and wish you were a 3 again.

bluewolf
03-27-2003, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> i am a sl6 and want to be a 5 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

you sound like you are a pretty smart player if nothing else, with time you will go up in rank, and wish you were a 3 again. <hr /></blockquote>

You are probably right. Did you have handicap review this past week? Maybe you will become a sl5 /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My husband turned in three people; a sb 3, sb4 and sb6...haha...nobody could ever call me a sandbagger /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-27-2003, 12:58 PM
no weekly review this week. they kept me as a 6 even after losing to a six last week 5-2. this week i played against a sl5, went up 4-1(more from him shooting bad than me good ex. i had 4 shots on the eight in the first game and still won), and totally fell apart losing 4-4. i think it was the bartenders fault though, she just kept pouring the beers, and i kept trying to get them empty again /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jjinfla
03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> I can safe a sl4 and pot about as good, but they have definately got me on shape <hr /></blockquote>If I recall some of your prior posts correctly, your safety game is equal to that of the average SL-5. Is that correct? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I beat the first four with my safety game . As far as a five, yeah my safety game is better than a beginning five but not an advanced five. Just my opinion.

My challenge is knowing when to play safe I guess and when to go for the pots.

Being married to a 7 who thought safe was important, and he was frustrated because he couldnt get the fours on his team to do it well, he started to teach me safe when I was a beginning two.

In the beginning, I was safing so much that I had to back off of it some and learn to pot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

With all the safes you are playing it is evident that the scorekeepers are not scoring them. Jake

dddd
03-28-2003, 12:33 AM
they calculate the numbers thru a formula, your matches added together and divided by a factor, then each handicap is a range of numbers,
roughly 2 innings a game max 6, 7
2.5 to 3.5 a 5 etc...
i dont exactly have the ranges correct i am sure but this will suffice to answer that issue.
the way to go up is to lower the innings per match and that is by shooting stronger and less innings.
there is also a factor that comes into play if you win a large percentage and do not go up you may fall into the catagory of going up due to win ratio and not innings per match.

while you ambitions are certainly worthwhile and to be applauded. i must mention there is not easy path. the road is practice and more of same.
along that path will be many times where you just are tired and dont feel like it or life takes over and you dont have time. whatever

learn to gauge yourself with sets or routines that measure you change from week to week, month to month, etc...
this is the path to lower innings and certainly higher handicap.

me personally i dont care about handicap too much. its nice to have a spot but its far from meaning too much really. i enjoy to play and will play pretty much anyone. and some are better and some are worse than me. the handicap system in apa is not perfect far from it. there are ranges as you say where a person is better than the handicap shows but that can work either way. and the end result is play and beat them whomever they are or whatever handicap they have.

banking now that is a wonderful thing.
i was told once to learn to bank by knowing the "natural" angle. that is set the shot up and place q ball wherever it needs to be put in order to shoot the bank shot and leave the q ball dead in its track, no left, right movement of the q ball. see what happens and adjust until you "see" what the angle is.
but take this with a grain of salt, banking while pretty and certainly useful, most of the time something else will be the shot.

and finally the things banking will show you may not be the things you are ready to see and learn, not that they are not but you may forsake the the main road for that road lesser traveled and may miss some of the things you need to learn prior to going down that road.

good luck in whichever road you may take, it will certainly be a interesting ride.

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks. I am currently on an improvement curve, which is nice, regardless of how apa has me in their computer, I am getting significantly better. I am going out on a limb here but I think that by the end of the summer I will have the skills of a decent 4, regardless of my sl.

So if I stay a sl2 for a few more weeks,then my team will definately benefit in the playoffs.

Laura

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>
With all the safes you are playing it is evident that the scorekeepers are not scoring them. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I have heard from a very reliable source that they do not count innings for twos, only w/l. When I found this out, I quit worrying about whether they mark my safes. Also some of my safes, to an onlooker who does not know me, may look like a miss since I am sl2. Now if a 7 did the same shot, it would be counted.

When I keep score, I try to record all safes, and that is all that I can do. I cannot change everybody else but I can keep score the right way and play my best myself, not being a sandbagger. My eventual goal is to decrease sandbaging in my league by example. Wouldnt it be nice if our team went to vegas and we are a totally non sandbagging team?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

03-30-2003, 08:28 AM
My dear YappingWolf. There are no short cuts to playing better. You can't force your abilty, just let practice and nature take it's course.

If we could talk our way to playing better, then I'm putting my $ on You /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bluewolf
03-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Mr ALF, you mysteriously appear out of nowhere, like a famous stalker, attacking from the rear.

Have you ever even played pool? Prove it!!!

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-30-2003, 09:49 AM
"There are no short cuts to playing better. You can't force your abilty, just let practice and nature take it's course.

If we could talk our way to playing better, then I'm putting my $ on You "

there is nothing wrong with wanting to be better, and trying to gain knowledge from the better players on the board. this is a message forum, where all there is to do is talk about pool. that is why we are all here, so give her a break, and get a hobby. mike

bluewolf
03-30-2003, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfsburg2:</font><hr> there is nothing wrong with wanting to be better, and trying to gain knowledge from the better players on the board. this is a message forum, where all there is to do is talk about pool. that is why we are all here, so give her a break, and get a hobby. mike <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Mike. After a good nights rest, I will be on my way to spending about an hour or so on our 8 ft table and then I go to open tourney at 4pm today. This is a great opportunity to play good players in a nice atmosphere and to learn.

Laura

9 Ball Girl
03-30-2003, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>then I go to open tourney at 4pm today. This is a great opportunity to play good players in a nice atmosphere and to learn.

Laura,

May I suggest that perhaps you go and observe some good players in action instead of playing them? Playing better players is definitely a great way to improve, but observing them in action may at times be better. I've sat and watched 8-10 hours of Pro/Open playing and I gain a lot from just doing that. I'll already have a pattern in my head and they'll come up with something else easier which is then stored in my memory bank. The best part of watching Pro/Open events is--and I know how much you like to do these--safety play. Getting in and out of them as well as when to execute them. JMO

bluewolf
03-30-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! I never made it to the tourney anyway.I ended up playing ww on our home table . He played me one handed LOL

I do play with the sl4s an hour before league each week and that is kool. And like you, I love watching the pros.

Laura