PDA

View Full Version : League player playoff order

03-26-2003, 02:17 PM
We recently had our city 8-ball league playoffs & we playoff as 5 member teams matching players of nearest ability for 3 games each.
Total of 15 games if needed. Each set was played starting with the top rated players.
We were the #2 league team playing the #1 team for the championship & it came down to the last game, last ball & we lost.
My question is: should have the team captains have played the lowest rated players last? This put a <font color="red"> </font color> tremendous <font color="black"> </font color> amount of pressure on these players &amp; their performance suffered.
I asked about reversing the order previous to playing &amp; was told "we dont want a break &amp; runout deciding the game". I'm confused! Shouldn't the ultimate responsibility be shouldered by the experienced player? I think it was unfair to ask this much of our newest &amp; lowest ranked players. What do you think?
Thanks,Dewey

Wally_in_Cincy
03-26-2003, 02:32 PM
I would never put that responsibility on a lower ranked player. Those last 2 spots should be veterans.

But the other team had the same situation, right?

Wally~~saves veterans for last, low to high

Michelle
03-26-2003, 02:34 PM
From playing in the APA, I have found that we di well when we kept a SL 6 and a really strong SL 4 (ranking goes from 2 to 7, 7 being highest) toward the end. We usually played our lower skill levels early, for the exact reason you mentioned. Then, we could play our "ace" player toward the end, and out strong SL4 who would usually end up playing a higher skilled player, and pull a surprise win.

You are correct...in most situations, a SL 2 or SL 3 is going to feel the pressure more than your higher SL's.

dddd
03-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Here are my thoughts on the matter.

First game
You always put up first if possible
Open with a 5
Playing to win the first one is important!
The 5 means the opponent cannot play soft. Play a lower handicap you have the advantage, play a higher handicap and you have a spot to work with. If this 5 is on the high side of the 5 handicap he should have the best of it most of the time!

Second and fourth games allow you to match you player against their choice this is where you get to play your lower handicapped players to allow them the greatest opportunity to win

Putting up your players first in the 1, 3, and 5th games
You opponent puts up in the 2, and 4th.

Many have said you need to be the one who has to put up in the second and fourth because you get to pick who your team plays in the 1, 3, and 5th.
I feel this is faulty thinking. Think about it by controlling the 4th game in who plays you really control that 4th and 5th games.
You have a set of players you play most and know and trust their skills. You put other players in here and there to allow all to play and season the lesser skilled players (they have to have certain amount of games and one never knows when they will blossom or be needed to play in some tight spot) and in the match you have a handicap limit to play and by the times the 5 games gets there you are limited and so is your opponent. So you know who will can play and cannot play. So that 4th game becomes a pivot where you can control who plays and improve you chance of winning that one.

Example: we come to the 4th game in a match. You opponent has to put up and he has a 5, 6 and a 3 and can play the two and one of the others (remember the handicap limits). He has to play one of this bunch.
You have a 4, 5 and a 3 also. Who does he play? If you are up 2 to 1 in games you need only one to get three (the magic number). So what you do is play to match your better player to that 3 and try to take that game.
If you are down 2 to 1 and need both games, the decision is harder but still you have the choice in who plays whom, in both games.

This also is what has happened in the first and second games too. If you think about it. Play that strong player first, and depend on that strength to win his share of the matchups, simply due to his strength and then comes the second match now you are allowed to play whom you want in the second. And to my thinking I chose whom I wanted to play in the first and second.

bluewolf
03-27-2003, 06:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dewey52:</font><hr> We recently had our city 8-ball league playoffs &amp; we playoff as 5 member teams matching players of nearest ability for 3 games each.
Total of 15 games if needed. Each set was played starting with the top rated players.
We were the #2 league team playing the #1 team for the championship &amp; it came down to the last game, last ball &amp; we lost.
My question is: should have the team captains have played the lowest rated players last? This put a <font color="red"> </font color> tremendous <font color="black"> </font color> amount of pressure on these players &amp; their performance suffered.
I asked about reversing the order previous to playing &amp; was told "we dont want a break &amp; runout deciding the game". I'm confused! Shouldn't the ultimate responsibility be shouldered by the experienced player? I think it was unfair to ask this much of our newest &amp; lowest ranked players. What do you think?
Thanks,Dewey <hr /></blockquote>

I ultimatly get put up last. In some cases it was 2-2 and my match decided if we won.I have not told my captain my physical condition (ie cannot work and have to rest all day before league night) but there is a reason he has to wake me up to play. Last week, I was playing a sl4 in the last match at 2am. Two previous matches were slow.

It is nothing short of a miracle that I have won my last 6 out of 8 matches. They almost always have to wake me up from knodding. I havent said anything because he seems to have certain people like the other sl2 he wants to play first and I guess it is better than not playing at all.

Somehow he thinks I can pull it out when he is in a crunch. Even if he has to say 'wake up and play', I dont fold under pressure, win or lose.

Gosh I guess this is very complicated and hard for a captain to choose.

This is one thing I dont like, staying up so late. yaaaawn.
Funny, the only matches won last week were won by sl2's /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

cycopath
03-27-2003, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>Last week, I was playing a sl4 in the last match at 2am. Two previous matches were slow.<hr /></blockquote>2am?! That's ridiculous. They should have had other games going at the same time to make the night not so long. That's what we do.
Geez, that just amazes me that it went to 2am... talk about your slow players.

bluewolf
03-27-2003, 09:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr>Last week, I was playing a sl4 in the last match at 2am. Two previous matches were slow.<hr /></blockquote>2am?! That's ridiculous. They should have had other games going at the same time to make the night not so long. That's what we do.
Geez, that just amazes me that it went to 2am... talk about your slow players. <hr /></blockquote>

We have two very fine sl4 players. One was not there. 1st match,the four who played was not doing very well so she lost against a four.This was very slow but one night I saw her and another 4 go 10-16 inning games with few safes.

2nd match- our sl2 was put up against their three. He played poorer than usual but barely beat the three because she is not a good three.

3rd match-our 5 against their five. their five plays very slow with lots of safes. Threw our good 5 off his game and beat him.

4th match our 7 and their 7. Their 7 won. Of the four matches played, this was the only quick one.

They could only put up a 4 for match 5. we could only put up a 2 or 3 for match five since our 4 was not there. The captain put me up because I did not get to play the week before.

This was also a relatively slow match because like their5, I threw her off of her game with safe after safe. When I beat her, the only wins for the night were the two sl2s.

kind of a hoot but I was so tired I was silly.

Laura