PDA

View Full Version : Evgeny Stalev

Vapros
03-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Where is the Russian? I thought he was on the way to being one of the very best, but I'm not hearing much about him. Is he playing the tournaments, or taking only action matches, or what's up with him?

Fred Agnir
03-26-2003, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> Where is the Russian? I thought he was on the way to being one of the very best, but I'm not hearing much about him. Is he playing the tournaments, or taking only action matches, or what's up with him? <hr /></blockquote>He just played in the Valley Forge pro event and beat/eliminated Strickland on the hill. He ended up in the 9-12th spot.

Fred

Eric.
03-26-2003, 02:37 PM
He's still around. He was in VF this weekend. I think his game may have plateaued for now. Don't get me wrong, he is hitting them good, just coming up a little short.

I'm curious to see how long it takes him to level up. He does usually cash in any tourney. I remember Johnny Archer being a young prodigy and "never breaking through" his first 5-6 years on tour. Then, he won one. Everything took off from there. Johnny shhots pretty good now, wouldn't you say?

Eric &gt;pretty isn't used to describe my game

Deeman
03-26-2003, 02:40 PM
He played like an animal the week before Valley Forge and, as Fred said, did very well there. I just think he may have a little more concentration problems in tournaments than he does matching up. I notice he gets badgered a little by a few of the other players. I think he is yet to come into his own but has all the tools.

nAz
03-26-2003, 04:09 PM
he won the Parkslope billiards (Brooklyn) 9B tourney last night and showed me a new trck shot.
the ruskie is a little cocky but man what a stroke.
he told me he might leave NYC soon cause he can't find any action said people like FH want the 8 ball and he willing to give it for the right price! wow i find that weird one pro asking another pro for a spot

03-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Stalev is probably the best scratch pool player in the world. I saw him ask Efren to play for big amount and Efren wouldn't even consider it.
He had better stay away from 1-pocket. He wanted to play Max Eberle some nine ball a few weeks back but Max was too tired. I offered to play him some cheap one-pocket even but he wanted to play for a lot more so I told him I would if he gave me a small spot. He did and I drilled him. He came back for more a few days later and I drilled him even worse.

03-26-2003, 06:52 PM
not to discredite you but i will have to see this to beleive it. he is one of the best gamblers i have ever seen he is absalutly flawless so please jsut say he gave you 12-3 in one pocket and you got reemed.

HalSmith
03-26-2003, 09:13 PM
He just won a Joss tour event . He is awesome to watch , saw him in Houston in Oct. at Ledgends he was playing for 3k a game.--Smitty

Deeman
03-27-2003, 06:55 AM
ewp,

I think I play a pretty good game of one hole. However, I watched Evgeny hit about a hundred banks a couple of weeks ago and if he's getting drilled by you, even with a small spot, I don't even want to think about playing you. Although I have not seen him play any one pocket, I just can't imagine him taking a beating at the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>He told me he might leave NYC soon cause he can't find any action said people like FH want the 8 ball and he willing to give it for the right price! <hr /></blockquote>I wonder if he knows about the room in Brighton Beach. They have two Russian tables. There is action there, but I'm not sure if the big money is moving through there.

Brighton Beach links:
Little Odessa By The Sea (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUrl-g60827-d116390-r846653-e__2F__Attraction_Review__2D__g60827__2D__d116390_ _2D__Reviews__2D__Brighton_Beach__2D__Brooklyn_New _York__2E__html-Brighton_Beach-Brooklyn_New_York.html)
To Russia, By Subway (http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUrl-g60827-d116390-r54013-e__2F__Attraction_Review__2D__g60827__2D__d116390_ _2D__Reviews__2D__Brighton_Beach__2D__Brooklyn_New _York__2E__html-Brighton_Beach-Brooklyn_New_York.html)

03-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Well, he actually gave me 9-7 and ended up losing in the low 4 figures. He did make some incredible banks and ran 9 and out once when I needed one ball and he needed them all. We went back and forth in the first session before I pulled away. The second session I won four straight games and he asked to adjust, I declined, and that ended it.

03-27-2003, 02:45 PM
The key to defeating him was to try to never give him an open shot because he runs balls as well as anyone. I learned this lesson when I lost a close match to Shannon Daulton at Derby City. I left him with what I thought was a good safety and a lot of balls in front of my hole. He back cut a ball length of the table (if he missed I would have won) and proceeded to run out. So with Stalev if there was any possibility of me missing a shot I ducked. I kept him so tied up that at one point he had a long open shot at his game ball and he was afraid to shoot it. Suprised me.

TomBrooklyn
03-27-2003, 03:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ewp:</font><hr> The key to defeating him was to try to never give him an open shot...if there was any possibility of me missing a shot I ducked. I kept him so tied up that at one point...<hr /></blockquote>Bluewolf is going to love this. What's your SL? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snipershot
03-27-2003, 09:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> Where is the Russian? I thought he was on the way to being one of the very best<hr /></blockquote>

And then a 24 year old kid came along by the name of Alex Pagulayan, and whooped the living s**t out of the guy. Enough said.