PDA

View Full Version : Which Texas City to Move To?

03-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Well I'm graduating high school early and it's time to quit bummin' off the old folks and go to college. The main 3 that I'm considering are UT at San Antonio, UT at Arlington, and South West Texas. Playing pool is just one of the many factors I'm considering in picking a college. My question- which city has the best poolhalls, tourneys, leagues, and if you know anything about the college billiard program. Also any other info about the colleges would be appreciated. Thanks.

eg8r
03-27-2003, 08:09 AM
I say congrats on graduating early and understand that making it on your own is not as easy. I do commend your effort. Are you living off of a scholarship (room and board, food, entertainment, classes, and books) totally? If not, like most, you will probably have to get a job to pay for rent, food and entertainment. I would do this first before scoping out pool halls. Remember you are going to school to get an education. You seem to be pretty smart if you are graduating early, did you get college courses out of the way while you were in high school?

I graduated on time and never skipped a year of school, until college. While in high school, I had completed all but 6 credit hours of my general education courses in college. After my first semester, I was considered a junior at the university. All the engligh, math, humanities and such were done. I only say this because when I left home for college, I was able to slack my first semester there (only took 12 credit hours) and work to help save up enough money to pay for the apartment during the next semester because I would not be working as many hours. My scholarship paid for all tuition and books. It was a tough adjustment.

After all that, I hope you choose the school that is best for what you are going to major in. Some schools are better in Engineering, some in Business, etc.

Now on to the pool stuff. I do not know squat about the pool world in Tx except to say, there are some excellent players in Arlington. There are quite a few pool rooms to play at, and very stiff competition. Rackmup and Onepocketchamp are both members of the board and they play in Arlington. Clicks near 360 has some really good players.

My vote would be Arlington, provided UTA offers the level of quality you would want in the degree you have chosen.

Good luck,

eg8r

03-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Glad to see you have priorities! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Seriously though, I have lived in San Antonio, Played at Southwest Texas and now live near Arlington. San Antonio and Arlington both have many places to play pool (some are a little rough around the edges). I am unsure about San Marcos (home of Southwest Texas) in general but the campus does have a great little pool hall. I was a member of the Texas A&M Pocket Billiards Club back in my college days and I won my first tournament at one of the invitational tournaments held at Southwest. At the time I was there they had a great pool club and had many good players. I donít know anything about UT in Arlington but I do know that right up the road there is UNT in Denton. I know that they have good pool club at UNT; they hold an annual tournament in October each year from what I remember and they always had a good presence at the A&M invitational tournaments. (Strong players) I have never heard of any pool club at UT San Antonio but there are some great local tournaments (only problem is that you have to be 21 to get in to the pool halls!) Your first choice of course should be the school that has the most to offer for you. I think you can get a great education from any of the three schools you mentioned but each one will offer something different. In my opinion Southwest might have a better college experience because it is basically in a small college town. San Antonio and Arlington have many other distractions and you might not get the same satisfaction. I attended a community college in San Antonio and it never felt like college to me. Once you choose the school you can start looking and I am sure you will be able find some competition on the felt. Just my two cents!

Here is a link to the SWT pool hall:
http://www.lbjsc.swt.edu/retail/styx/info.html
Here is the link to the A&M Pool Club as well, they usually have a calendar of events and you can see which schools still have a club.
http://www.tamu.edu/poolclub/

Hope this helped

03-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Wow, great posts, thanks for the info and the links.

03-27-2003, 04:48 PM
Leave Texas!!! Better yet, burn everything in Texas, then leave!

03-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Totally agree. As an Oklahoman, Texans are my sworn enemy! lol! Seriously, pick the best college that you can afford to attend. I'm sure wherever you go, you'll be able to find a table. I've always said that I didn't learn much in my classes, but I did learn to play pool very well! Make sure that you pick a specific career path probably by your junior year. You'll get a head start on the path to success if you know exactly what career you want to pursue. Good luck!

jbullerjr
03-28-2003, 12:41 AM
If you are seriously considering UT Arlington, do some research. I heard a blurb on the news the other night about UT might be disassociating themselves from UTA.

I seem to remember that Sam Houston had a great pool program. I have also heard great things about the program at A&M.

I went to U of Houston, the wait for their pool program was 2 years!!!

Lot of great players in the DFW area and most halls will let you in untill at least 9pm (well Fort Worth and Arlington, not sure about Dallas).

All that being said, go with the very best school for your desired career. There are great players and pool halls all over the state.

J.

03-28-2003, 02:45 AM
You might give me a bit of feedback on your goals. (1) Do you play mostly for recreation and fun, or do you intend to play for money, too? (2) What games do you prefer and are best with (9-ball, 8-ball, etc.)?

Overall, San Antonio will provide the best pool competition, principally because of its size. In addition to the campus rec halls, you will find quite a few off-campus places, mostly franchises like Slick Willies. They are okay but a bit pricey for a student.

San Marcos has the reputation for being a party school, even though their academics are perfectly fine. I'm sure the campus pool will be adequate and off campus will be okay, but less than San Ant.

Best for students will likely be UT Austin, however. You did not list it on your possibles but there are a lot of decent pool halls there, including on campus. Lots of money action, too.

As in any large city, you'll also find the independent pool halls in San Ant. Some might be rough and a bit dicey, especially if you're playing money games with a stranger. But you'll probably find a decent little place that will be great for friendly games with pals.

Bars of course are out, since you must be 21 to go in them, and I assume you're younger.

I myself live in Houston and play pool regularly in several halls as well as bars. Best in town is "Cue and Cushion" which is an excellent and friendly place to play pool with pals, but is also the real big money hall in Houston. You can see some phenomenal 9-ball money games there. Real pros who will take your money, your last dime if you let them (ha ha).

Ignore the guy who said you should burn Texas and then leave. He's likely a Yankee and therefore does not know any better.

03-28-2003, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SamW:</font><hr> You might give me a bit of feedback on your goals. (1) Do you play mostly for recreation and fun, or do you intend to play for money, too? <font color="blue"> I don't play for money right now but I think I'll be ready next year. </font color> (2) What games do you prefer and are best with (9-ball, 8-ball, etc.) <font color="blue"> I play 9-ball almost exclusively</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SamW:</font><hr>
Best for students will likely be UT Austin, however. You did not list it on your possibles but there are a lot of decent pool halls there, including on campus. Lots of money action, too.<font color="blue"> Yes, UT austin was my first choice but long story-short, I got screwed and didn't get in. Don't ask!</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jbullerjr:</font><hr>
I seem to remember that Sam Houston had a great pool program. I have also heard great things about the program at A&amp;M. <font color="blue"> I have a friend that went to Sam Houston the last couple of years and he said most of the time they just got loaded!</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>

FYI, I plan to major in engineering (not sure which specific field), I've heard UTA and SWT have pretty good engineering departments. Do any college gamerooms let students play for free?