PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Greg @ Diamond and Diamond light owners

03-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Hello,

I have a new Diamond Pro with matching light set to be delivered in a few weeks to my house and I had a couple questions regarding the light.

As I understand it, it is 79" from the floor to the bottom of the light, and the light is 8" thick. Since this table is going in my renovated basement, the finished height of the floor joists is 90", leaving 3" clearance.

What would be the best way to mount the light fixture? The only experience I have with tthe light is at tournaments, so the light is usually suspended quite a bit. It seems that the light is mounted from 4 points, should I install 4 eyehooks from the joists?

Thanks for all your suggestions, I can;t wait for the table to arrive.

Zach

JimS
03-21-2002, 03:29 PM
I have a Diamond Pro table and a light that was made by a friend of mine that is a clone of the Diamond light except that it has 6, 8 ft, bulbs while the Diamond has 4.

I have it suspended from my rather tall cathederal ceiling with 4 eye bolts screwed into the exposed beams and then chains.

I'd recommend calling Greg at Diamond and finding out how far apart to put the eyebolts. Or maybe a better idea would be to have the eyebolts on hand when they deliver the table and then put them up while everything is being put into place...no mistakes about placement that way. Afterthought: maybe you'd also be smart to have some S-hooks handy to facilitate hanging the light to the eye hooks.....or, short pieces of strong chain.

03-21-2002, 03:54 PM
i've also got a homemade diamond-clone w/6 8' tubes. love it. i don't think the height is that critical, within a few inches one way or another but one thing you should keep in mind, in my opinion, is to be sure you've got at least a couple of inches between the light-box and the ceiling so you don't trap all that heat.

dan

Greg/Diamond
04-02-2002, 02:34 AM
Zach,
sorry I'm so late getting you a reply. I've been traveling alot lately. I'm not active with the day to day operations of the company and I imagine you've already hung the light. As a general rule I suggest the light be hung 48" from the bed of the table, making the total distance from the floor 78". I recommend the bed of the table to be 30" from the floor. However, the light heigth is not all that critical, especially due to the silver parobolic lenses we use. Some people actually flush mount our lights when they have low ceilings. I had the chance to see several different heights used and since the light is directed straight down the bed remained shadow free and plenty bright. In my home I use 4-8' bulbs and the table is plenty bright, but at a tournament or commercial room I prefer 6-8'bulbs mostly because of other lights in the tourn. or pool rm. area that can take away or lessen the intensity of just having the pool light being the only light on. By the way I want to thank the other people who answered your post!

Greg/Diamond
04-02-2002, 02:48 AM
Jim, again I am very happy people are cloning my light. It is a complement! I only hope you used the silver parobolic lenses. That's the most important feature of my light. It directs the light straight down and if you look at the light while walking around the table it looks as though it's not even on, reducing glare while only lighting the bed cloth. If anyone needs help finding these grids to make their own light I'd be glad to steer them in the right direction. thanks, Greg/Diamond

Rich R.
04-02-2002, 06:20 AM
Greg, I have never made a light fixture for pool or anything else, but I can highly recommend the silver parobolic reflectors. I do believe they are reflectors and not lenses, but I may be wrong. My workplace switched to lights with these type reflectors a couple years ago. We got more light, spread more evenly on our work areas, and they are using smaller tubes. They are very effecient and provide great light. Rich R.

04-02-2002, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Greg/Diamond:</font><hr> Jim, again I am very happy people are cloning my light. It is a complement! I only hope you used the silver parobolic lenses. That's the most important feature of my light. It directs the light straight down and if you look at the light while walking around the table it looks as though it's not even on, reducing glare while only lighting the bed cloth. If anyone needs help finding these grids to make their own light I'd be glad to steer them in the right direction. thanks, Greg/Diamond
<hr></blockquote>

probably need some more definition/description on "silver parabolic lenses". this is not a diffuser. if you look up, from under the light, you will be looking thru the grid at the tubes. nothing between your eye and the tubes but air and a 1/2" grid. that's the key. it directs all the light straight down. a diffuser (solid plastic sheet) would drive you nutz with that much light blinding you when you get down on the shot.

i'm working with a friend who is remodeling his house and wants to mount the light in a drywall (and wood) box flush with the ceiling. greg, what about heat build-up? i don't expect a fire but i am concerned that all that heat will tear the light up in a couple of years.

dan