PDA

View Full Version : Hi - newbie here. Question regarding bridging ...

Snyder1
03-27-2003, 11:36 AM
I've been playing rather seriously for about 6 months. I use what I believe is called an "open" bridge ... rest the cue on the side of my index finger, with my thumb as a rest. I do not use the conventional cue through the index finger loop bridge. Mainly because it seems to obstruct my vision of the cue line - with the cue in an open bridge, I can see things more clearly (also, there is always more friction with the index finger loop bridge). My question is twofold: Why does practically EVERY exceptional player use the index finger loop bridge ? Secondly, what are the disadvantages of using the bridge I'm comfortable with (I don't want to develop any really bad habits ... but even at this stage, it would be difficult to change my style ...) THanks very much ...

John

Perk
03-27-2003, 11:49 AM
First, welcome to pool....Not every exceptional player uses the loop bridge (closed) that you described. Alot of players use a combination of both depending on your shot.
Second part of your question was disadvantages of the open bridge. Well, the bridge can work well with smooth strokes. Where you could run into a problem is the consistency of draw,follow,side english shots. Depending on the speed/power of your stroke, the tip can bounce or not hit the desired spot. The closed bridge can help stabilize the finish of the stroke.

For more information, look back a few days or so on this board. It was talked about heavily including good thoughts from Scott Lee, Fast Larry, amongst others.

Hope that helps.

SPetty
03-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi Snyder,

This was touched on a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=66311&page=&vie w=&sb=&o=&vc=1

03-28-2003, 05:52 AM
http://www.billiardspress.com/archerreyes.html

If Archer uses the closed only half of the time, and out of that mostly from the rail... surely you don't need to use it at all!

I use the closed for breaking and if the cue ball is very very close to the cushion. In both cases the cue could lift or move side ways at contact because of the difficulty of the shot. I also use the closed bridge other times, yes, for extra spin and such, but there's really no need for it. It just looks more like pro when you use the closed bridge, I guess.

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 06:14 AM
HI. I have not been playing long either, about 8 months. I have had a lot of instruction from scott lee and gone to randy gs pool school and have watch accustat matches as well as the women pros on tv (WPBA). There are lots of people who use an open bridge and they are pros. Lots of pros also used the closed one. I use a closed one because it is better than my open one. I am working to be more versatile and be able to use both. From a relative beginner to another, it does not seem to be carved in stone. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bluewolf

Snyder1
03-28-2003, 08:26 AM
... your advice at least puts my mind at ease that I'm not bridging entirely wrong - thx /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

J