PDA

View Full Version : Started playing again, turned a corner

Kato
03-27-2003, 01:00 PM
As many of you know I found out a few weeks ago that I had astigmatism (I just thought I was blind) and have had loads of trouble shooting pool, actually giving up the game other than my league play (and even then I haven't really played) /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif. The optometrist told me that wearing my glasses religiously would help my eyes focus even when I wasn't wearing them. Well the only time I don't wear my glasses is when I play pool basically and sometimes when I read. Then something quite wonderful happened.

I haven't played much for the last 6 months or so but I have been playing a great deal in my mind. Situations and what I would do in them. Not so much playing safeties but shooting out open tables, smooth stroking, simple pool. I also found a wonderful open bridge on Monday (simple things make me happy) that is really steady and comfortable (also original I believe, I've never seen it before).

To make a long story longer I locked up with JackPot George last night in our conventional 9-ball, after league, grudge match for about 2 1/2 hours. I didn't win but I sure gave him a run for his money and darnnit if I didn't play as well as I've played in a long while (for the record, George a level or so above me). I'm positive that because I've worked so hard on rhythm in my mind that it played out during physical execution and table layouts were handled with suprising ease. I got out virtually every time I was supposed to and that pleased me to no end.

As most amatuers know, just becasue you play at the top of your game one day doesn't mean you'll play the same way the next time. But dang it I can play a little and this fortifies that. I've never used any visualization before even though the better players on this board use it. I've been reading this board for years and finally it sinks in. So for all you visualization, practice while you sleep buffs, thank you. For Tom in Cincy, our super pre-shot routine buff, thank you, I've finally got one that I like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And now the kicker. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME AND PRACTICE!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Kato~~~definitely a work in progress.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-27-2003, 01:08 PM
I think this is similar to "hitch-hiking" i.e. you usually shoot better after watching a really good player, on tape or especially live. You visualize yourself shooting like that good player and sometimes it works, to a degree..

In this case the great player you were watching was...you

Wally~~amateur psychologist

Rich R.
03-27-2003, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> As most amatuers know, just becasue you play at the top of your game one day doesn't mean you'll play the same way the next time. <hr /></blockquote>
Don't I know it.
At the top of my game, last week, in my league. Changed to the bottom of my game this week. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Happy to hear you spent time at the top.

#### leonard
03-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Kato I discovered the system of visualization long before anyone was writing about it. As I posted before In 1957/8 I was playing pool every night with Joe Canton, he had just opened his new poolroom in Troy,NY. He would run 130+ miss I would run 10 miss and he would run another 100+. I was getting plenty of practice racking balls but no shooting time. Then I started to mentally copying his stroke while he was shooting, so in an average night I was mentally playing between 4 and 5 hours. Like overnight[1 1/2 years] I started running 100s with no practice in between to have explained the jump in my play.

If your not playing pool just before you fall asleep you are missing the most fertile time to improve your play. If you try playing pool you will notice that your mind doesn't let you miss.####

Fred Agnir
03-28-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Kato I discovered the system of visualization long before anyone was writing about it. <hr /></blockquote>To add to this, every time, I mean every single time I watch a men's professional event live, my game jumps up. Pattern play, possibilities, stroke motion, rhythm and cadence, choices made, all of that can only be seen and ingrained visually by actually seeing it.

There is a difference between imagining and visualizing, IMO. Visualizing means that you've seen or done it before. That's the big importance of watching better players, IMO.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks everyone should go watch real players