PDA

View Full Version : Meucci Black Dot Shafts

sneakypapi
03-27-2003, 10:40 PM
Does anyone here own a newer Black Dot shaft? If so, I was wondering what people have thought about this shaft. I have tried the older version and the newer and found eventhough the older was more yellow in color if seemed to play better. The other drawback to the older model was it did not burnish or sand as smooth as the the newer model. The Black Dots have hard tips installed from the factory with a softer ferrule that does take some time to get used to. I also have tried Predators and noticed that it can develop very good draw even with a stock Le Pro tip. Any comments from Meucci owners would be appreciated.

q4summit
03-27-2003, 11:23 PM
So new Meucci's have a black dot over a red dot? My buddy just traded in his meucci for a much nicer stick, however his Meucci was gorgeous. Could have had it for only 400 (originally costing 600).

Marc

Ken
03-28-2003, 08:06 AM
I saw a black dot installed once. There was no red dot under it. What makes you think there's a red dot under the black dot?

The black dot shaft is a different design featuring a laminated construction resulting in far greater uniformity between shafts, or so Bob claims.
KenCT

03-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Ken, the early black dot shafts are definately in two colors. white and black bullseye of almost every single one i've seen(sometimes it's a black dot). mine was bought before official release and has a touch of red in the middle to further the bullseye effect. neat looking and very well crafted.(no uggs or sighs from you Meucci haters). i guess a new post on that subject is in order... no.. here's fine... why do so many on this board hate Meucci cues so much? surely not that Bob's a bit boisterous...

Black Dot Shaft:
yep, i own a black dot shaft, purchased for a fair deal at the big billiards expo in New Orleans about a year ago. i don't think that's what the previous poster asked anyway.
i think that the reason there's little mention of these shafts is that almost everyone here seems to innapropiatly hate Meucci and for those that don't hate Meucci, these Black Dot shafts were very un-muecci like. the hit is firmer than the red-dot
(a very good shaft IMHO) i like my black dot fine but rarely use it anymore. for firmer hits i do prefer predator.
my black dot is in about between in hit to red dot to predator. still, from my impression a good product. to all the Meucci haters out there.. most likely you guys are relative newbies to pool.. Meucci was rather groundbreaking in it's day and in the cues i've owned over the years are very well made. a unique hit not fit to everyone but for obvious english on a ball it seems no production makers offer a shaft that touches the ball for that extra spilt second anymore. mark my words. the firm hit trend now will fade yet again. for those of you playing for 15 years or more.. remember- Meucci's were more than a fad. in the mid 80-s there was a drastic differance in spin applied compared to other cues, especially draw. even though Bob had an um.. ... assertive personality then the cues are still good. back to the point.. i prefer red dot shafts to both predator and black dot... many online Meucci sites promise red-dot and proudly "not!" black dot shafts. that means either it didn't sell well, is an inferior product+word spread, or it's so wonderful it's kept secret(no). i'm happy with mine, regognize it's made well, but honestly never use it. there's more than a few at my pool-room with these that really like them. the hit and response is completely two dimensional if that makes sense(Patrick are you out there? ;-)) the hit to me is probably perfect for a league rating of 5 or so when preferances and the delicate things start to sink in. about in the middle of the old Meucci shafts and a predator. the best shafts are made though. my favorite is a quickly made custom. no years waiting or aging.. 122" pro taper but th erest of the shaft extra large. 13 mm. diferant story on that.
i would think this hit would be appealing to many. i have heard of them falling apart but never witnessed it. most likely angry gossip. i did have my usual moori quick with a red fibre backing.. ok, ok. in my opinion Meucci(a cue i like fine) made these shafts to more directly compete with predator.. Bob is a very um.. passionatlely competitive person and in my opinion the black dots are a fad. there's reason that there's so little mentin of them.. why it's near impossible to find a positive posting. still though for a player beginning to fing preferances it's in the middle of hit so it has it's place. a sure collector's item because they are not selling well.
best regards,
post mardi gras clean up still,
^v^

P.S. if you would like the highest quality cue for the best price merely scroll back to the cues most hated on this board-Cue-Tec, Meucci,nd give these a try. make your own decision. otherwise you'll catch rabies from these people and become an ad addict a submissiove fool . trust oyur own opinion even if new to billiards/pool. gut feeling is more imoportant than years of lessons.

Rod
03-28-2003, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why do so many on this board hate Meucci cues so much? surely not that Bob's a bit boisterous...
<hr /></blockquote>
I don't hate Meucci's, I don't own one. If I did then I would. lol

[ QUOTE ]
to all the Meucci haters out there.. most likely you guys are relative newbies to pool.. <hr /></blockquote>

yah that's it! must be

[ QUOTE ]
a unique hit not fit to everyone but for obvious english on a ball it seems no production makers offer a shaft that touches the ball for that extra spilt second anymore. mark my words. the firm hit trend now will fade yet again. <hr /></blockquote>

Huh?

[ QUOTE ]
. in the mid 80-s there was a drastic differance in spin applied compared to other cues, especially draw.
<hr /></blockquote>

Huh?

All that matters is you like the cues, but please don't tell me old Bob invented more english! Pieces of assembeled wood does not qualify for a comment on more english.

Rod

03-28-2003, 01:15 PM
i don't think i was talking to you.. your not a Meucci hater.. you prefer different so quoting me is invalid here. yea i was on fire a bit, in that blah..must be a newbie to pool.. really hoping point met and understood that people care to remember the big deal Meucci's were when they came out. and damn ugly awful Meucci's really popularized the pro-taper.. what's now called whippy. surely even you see that near hate on a decent thing innapropriate? go back to my sum up please instead of a typing meandering post with no beef. i'm right whether you prefer differant or not.. if you remember the early 80's then super power wonder twin connect for me. also you must remember the greatest most patriotic most intelligant(sic).. cripes i wonder how many here have a clue what sic means? yikes! anyway Patrick played with a Meucci. no more talking needed
best sincere regards,
^v^

03-28-2003, 01:24 PM
no more dumb-a$$ rgurgative posts please. are all on this board shallow rush limbaugh lovers. ditto yourselvs into unhappiness, annoy the world with your ffw:'s be deliberatley shalow. none of you will ever be superiour pool players. egardless of your passion to be supior takes awareness, in that awareness is differance, in that differance the best suffer... name a profession, passion or hobby or sport.. all dominated by the aware and all suffered. awareness is a beautiful curse. it seems that there's maybe three that aren't complete dumbasses here. nothing more pathetic than a slow online clique. rock on.. i'll win the money in the end. :-)
^v^

Deeman
03-28-2003, 01:39 PM
I don't hate Meucci's. I played with one for twenty years. I still own a half dozen of them. I do dislike that fact that you somehow equate years of playing pool with some imagined hatred of Meucci. Some people have learned to hate them with very little pool experience. I have known Bob since about 1972 and have been playing since 1966. I have some problems with Bob's response to problems with his cues in the past. (ie.) inlays popping out &amp; shafts warping, which, if my memory serves me right, was occurring with many people, not just me.

Bob was an an innovator. He certainly applied better machining techniques to the mass produced cue manufacturing process. He developed this, by himself, for many years before setting up operations. I know, I was there. He deserves credit for that, for nothing else, if not pushing other mass producers to innovate in both styling and construction.

I may be a pool newby to you, but I remember in 1974 being very pleased to see the many new styles you could get in a cue, just because Bob was very innovative. So pleased, I carried over 100 of Bob's sticks to Japan and sold them.

All this does not excuse the fact that me and others have had problems with Meuccis in that past and the issues were not addressed. Bob is and may always be an important part of the pool industry and deservedly so. He still has some issues to clear up with a few folks before we are willing to fully endorse his product. People who disagree can say so. That's the reason this is an open forum, I believe.

As for you, take a Valium and settle down a bit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dee

eg8r
03-28-2003, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no more dumb-a$$ rgurgative posts please. are all on this board shallow rush limbaugh lovers. ditto yourselvs into unhappiness, annoy the world with your ffw:'s be deliberatley shalow. none of you will ever be superiour pool players. egardless of your passion to be supior takes awareness, in that awareness is differance, in that differance the best suffer... name a profession, passion or hobby or sport.. all dominated by the aware and all suffered. awareness is a beautiful curse. it seems that there's maybe three that aren't complete dumbasses here. nothing more pathetic than a slow online clique. rock on.. i'll win the money in the end. :-) <hr /></blockquote> LOL, this is pretty funny. Are you asking to be in the clique? There are nicer ways of doing this.

eg8r

SpiderMan
03-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Larry? Is that you?

Eric.
03-28-2003, 01:53 PM
then it should be redWHINEbluebird

Eric &gt;trying to be good

SpiderMan
03-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Dee,

I was there also, one of the Golden Cue regulars on Winchester, then River City after the big bust. I should remember you. What was your association with Bob in the '70s? Do you know Mike E?

SpiderMan

Rod
03-28-2003, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote redwinebluebird:</font><hr> i don't think i was talking to you.. your not a Meucci hater.. you prefer different so quoting me is invalid here. yea i was on fire a bit, in that blah..must be a newbie to pool.. really hoping point met and understood that people care to remember the big deal Meucci's were when they came out. and damn ugly awful Meucci's really popularized the pro-taper.. what's now called whippy. surely even you see that near hate on a decent thing innapropriate? go back to my sum up please instead of a typing meandering post with no beef. i'm right whether you prefer differant or not.. if you remember the early 80's then super power wonder twin connect for me. also you must remember the greatest most patriotic most intelligant(sic).. cripes i wonder how many here have a clue what sic means? yikes! anyway Patrick played with a Meucci. no more talking needed
best sincere regards,
^v^ <hr /></blockquote>

Inappropriate yes unless someone has had problems because of manufacturing. In mass production problems do occur. It is up to the owner to resolve such issues himself or appoint someone.

Beef, ok here is some beef. There were fine cuemakers well before Bob. There was great players before him also. The maxium amount of english had already been used by players using other cues. Meucci did not invent more english. The stroke creates more english with a precision hit, a cue is just the tool used.

[ QUOTE ]
if you remember the early 80's then super power wonder twin connect for me. also you must remember the greatest most patriotic most intelligant(sic).. cripes i wonder how many here have a clue what sic means? yikes! <hr /></blockquote>

I have no idea of what any of the above means. You are right though Patrick playing with a Meucci sums it up and no more talk is needed.

Deeman
03-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Spiderman,

I was at River City, before that, Funland in Whitehaven, then later at High Pockets when James Strickland opened that up. I grew up there playing and at first losing to Jack Hunter (one pocket), Kinard, Lou Jones, Youngblood, James Brown, etc. I was the guy that Jerry Lee (I lived on Coro Lake as did Jerry Lee) backed against Louie Roberts when some idiot told Jerry we were making lemonade on him. Now, Louie had just ran the first three racks on me, there was no way I was dumping (I was geting my head kicked in by Louie!) but Jerry went out to get his pistol and said he was coming back and kill someone. This was Funland and James S. had had to nail the window shut in the restroom in the back to keep some lame guys from sneaking out to avoid paying food and table time. I crawled up under a table and Louie hit the restroom. We must have waited a full five minutes until someone came in and said that Jerry Lee was throwing up on the hood of a car. The car belonged to Danny Owens and that Jerry Lee had his own problems as Danny was pissed. I am sure you know Danny Owens. Anyway, I go to the restroom and Louie was stuck in the window with his butt hanging in and could get out or back in. We helped him out and both of us left the poolhall. We never did finish the match-up, Jerry never offered to back me again and I never asked.

My association with Bob was that he tried to hire me to help him build cues. This was when he had that bad reaction to the varnish and his hands and arms almost fell off! Anyway, I had finished my degree and was serving a tool and die apprenticeship at Hunter Fan on Frisco. He wanted a toolmaker w/ programming experience to help with the business but I didn't want to sign his 5 year agreement and wanted to finish my apprenticeship before learning to build cues. I helped him with some machine set-up and programing but we just could not get along well enough to make it last. I then moved to Japan, then Europe and set up a trading company and sold golf clubs, cues and a few other things at several times their value all while building automobiles for Nissan, then GM. Life was good then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Went to Memphis last year and visited The Rack, Southaven and High Pockets. It just ain't the same!

Dee

03-28-2003, 03:23 PM
without george, patrick, and the good troy.. and yea cheesmouse(ok, more than two) this is a clique that i hope to never be a part of. nothing like seeing:
name: x-wolf
interests: wolves:
hobbies: wolves:

probably most on this board dislike rap in pure form and are ignorant about it... far more are exceptionally ignorant of Native American Culture.. in even basic study one can learn that philisophicaly, socially and spiritually the native americans were on par with the greeks. more so in technologies involved with that. the average man has little bsiness pretending to embrace Native American culture..... most sickening are the dream catchers hanging from rear view mirrors.. severly disrespectful. there is almost no such thing as a domesticated wolf.. husky variations as claimed never. EVER! are. so stop it! it's a husky not a wolf or it's mother's mother was a wolf so stop it... i'm tired of it! don't confuse this with "My mother is full blooded Cherokee" bullshit.. if you really embraced Native American culture your life would not be conservative nor Christian. so stop it.. Native American culture is not a toy! to opt or not opt for. research and learn and join.. that's accepted but not half assed. so WW and BW.. please stop! it's wrong and terribly offensive.. not in the way Limbaugh fans make fun of African Americans.. it's a cop of the spiritual not the trendy so stop. spend a year on a reservation and earn your respect.... then maybe you'll take your dreamcatcher out of your car.
um.. the "take a valium" comment shows your exact age and lack of mind. yes i'm admittadly poking.. thanks for letting me poke you. i'm 90% kidding but drug referances we could do without.. sorry you cannot hear what i type.... i'm not the one that needs any drug to be aware.
Spiderman! where where you when i had a simple legitamite cue question recently? oops i'm interrupting the A.M. radio broadcasts for those with black inside.
Meuccis are a good value, predator shafts are woth the money, Southwest cues hit with near magic but best of all the only cue in the world i'd spend more than 2000 dollars on is mystique.. lineage, that touches my hero Mr. Greenleaf and reall passion in each making.. to me tothe best possible now in the world. i've won SOng Fight enough so this prattle is easy to set down now:

i've won song fight enough that this is easy to finish a thread up just right:

i'll take all from spiderman, eric, deeman, and rod's

words and feed them like kernals of corn to the birds

then all the lying and trying and pretense that bounds

will come out forever like pretty bird sounds

^v^

p.s. i like Meuccis and know more thn i'm letting on.. for the last time.. i'm kidding mostly

Eric.
03-28-2003, 03:59 PM
"i'll take all from spiderman, eric, deeman, and rod's

will come out forever like pretty bird sounds"

O.K., speaking of pretentious, why are you pretending to be an intellect with your 10th grade grammar/spelling?

Here's a suggestion-why not live and let live a little? You don't seem to be that bad of a person, just a little opinionated. Look at it this way: there are many more flavors than just Vanilla. Chocolate is tasty too and if you're feeling wild, try Strawberry.

Stick around, it's not that bad.

Eric

Deeman
03-28-2003, 04:13 PM
Redwinebluebird....

Chill out my young friend. Let's not get overly excited here. Many of us older Newbies might not can stand the strain on our decrepid hearts, American Indian or not. I, personally, think that spending a year on an Indian reservation is probably not such a good way to get to know your inner Indian Spirit but will defer to your knowledge on the subject. I do take exception to your estimate that we don't know and appreciate the real origins and texture of Rap Music. Please reserve your preconceived ideas about all of us and just post here to try to add to the discussions we have. You can probably learn a lot and might even teach us as well. We are all just a bunch or guys and gals who love the game of pool and like to share the experience with everyone who feels the same. We don't want to insult, hurt nor demean anyone. If I have offended you, your friends or products you endorse, I am sorry. I will, however, keep stating my opinion here as I (and you) have every right to do. Take a shot at them. Just don't take it so hard when our opinion does not seem to ecco yours. I think Ruch Limbaugh is a fat, self serving egotist. However, I am conservative. But I think Rush and you have every right to voice your feelings. I just wish you would put your thoughts together a little more logically so we can better understand exactly what you are saying.

By the way, If you want to shoot me to prove I am wrong (I just can't make that connection) /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'm the easiest guy in the US to find.

Dee

Peace, Love and One Pocket....

SpiderMan
03-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Great story, yes that brings back some memories. I forgot to mention that I started out at Funland also. Not only would those guys slip out the back to avoid paying, but if you stayed too long in the john they'd be on your table when you came back!!! Anything to avoid paying time, eh?

I knew most of the guys you mentioned, also remember one-armed Doyle, R.McKay, and Bobby Livingston. Not champions, but players. If you were a match for Louie Roberts you're 'way out of my league, though. I don't have a story to match that one, but something was always going on there. I do remember one night Bobby Livingston got into a brawl with a turkey, sticks and balls but no guns. Lou Jones was better than most of the other players I mentioned, but still no match for Roberts.

I hear that Lou Jones may still be in the area, also one-pocket Jack, but that information is 5 or 10 years old now. Jack would be really old now, I'd be surprised to run into him outside of a boneyard. I was home at Christmas, but as you say it's not the same anymore.

James Brown, was he the hefty guy who drove a Cadillac and always wore a jumpsuit/overalls? We just called him "Big James", if that's the one. Not a spectacular player, but he had a big stroke and usually a way of coming out OK in $$. Usually saw him playing "find the queen", his favorite version of the shell game, with some sucker whenever he didn't have a game.

Sure, I know who Danny Owens was. His home was on Shelby Drive in Whitehaven, and his yard backed up to one of the streets in my neighborhood. I heard he's in prison now, but not sure.

I don't remember Bob Meucci being around during the "Funland Era". First time I saw him was at the Golden Cue, he came in late one night with an armload of sticks and started passing them around with a line of patter like a carnival barker. That would have been around 1973.

Around that same time, I was in the Golden Cue one weekend when Minnesota Fats walked in with Ronnie Allen. Ronnie was at the top of his form back then. He played one-handed one-pocket against all (two-handed) challengers, never losing a game that I saw. Guys were on the phone waking people up to come play or watch. I didn't know who Ronnie Allen was at the time, but I never forgot seeing him play.

Sounds like Bob Meucci offered you the job that Mike Erwin eventually filled. Mike stayed with Bob for years as he grew, running his shop until sometime in the '80s I think, then finally got fed up with the big city when one of his kids found a dead body in a ditch near his house. He bought a farm out in Strayhorn, MS, where he still lives and builds cues with his son Scott. He was best man at my cousin's wedding a few years ago, and of course gave her a cue as a wedding present.

You must have been one of the top shooters in that scene. I'm really wondering which of the faces in my memory goes with you. Possibly we'd recognize one another if we met, but I was never as accomplished a player as you apparently were. Actually, I wasn't even old enough to be in Funland at night but no one said much because, well, I paid my time and stayed out of trouble. Later I was too busy with college to get much better. But, every weekend when I was home, I would hang out in the Golden Cue or River City, bang balls until the sun came up, and try to avoid being shark food.

BTW, did you ever go down to Oxford and play in Purvis's poolroom just off the square? Hole-in-the wall place full of 1930's Brunswick Anniversary's with a concrete floor and a john so foul that you learned to pee standing on one foot so you could hold the door open with the other for fresh air? Not the place you'd expect to find real action, but there it was!!!

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Spiderman,

I was at River City, before that, Funland in Whitehaven, then later at High Pockets when James Strickland opened that up. I grew up there playing and at first losing to Jack Hunter (one pocket), Kinard, Lou Jones, Youngblood, James Brown, etc. I was the guy that Jerry Lee (I lived on Coro Lake as did Jerry Lee) backed against Louie Roberts when some idiot told Jerry we were making lemonade on him. Now, Louie had just ran the first three racks on me, there was no way I was dumping (I was geting my head kicked in by Louie!) but Jerry went out to get his pistol and said he was coming back and kill someone. This was Funland and James S. had had to nail the window shut in the restroom in the back to keep some lame guys from sneaking out to avoid paying food and table time. I crawled up under a table and Louie hit the restroom. We must have waited a full five minutes until someone came in and said that Jerry Lee was throwing up on the hood of a car. The car belonged to Danny Owens and that Jerry Lee had his own problems as Danny was pissed. I am sure you know Danny Owens. Anyway, I go to the restroom and Louie was stuck in the window with his butt hanging in and could get out or back in. We helped him out and both of us left the poolhall. We never did finish the match-up, Jerry never offered to back me again and I never asked.

My association with Bob was that he tried to hire me to help him build cues. This was when he had that bad reaction to the varnish and his hands and arms almost fell off! Anyway, I had finished my degree and was serving a tool and die apprenticeship at Hunter Fan on Frisco. He wanted a toolmaker w/ programming experience to help with the business but I didn't want to sign his 5 year agreement and wanted to finish my apprenticeship before learning to build cues. I helped him with some machine set-up and programing but we just could not get along well enough to make it last. I then moved to Japan, then Europe and set up a trading company and sold golf clubs, cues and a few other things at several times their value all while building automobiles for Nissan, then GM. Life was good then. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Went to Memphis last year and visited The Rack, Southaven and High Pockets. It just ain't the same!

Dee <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
03-28-2003, 04:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote redwinebluebird:</font><hr>
Spiderman! where where you when i had a simple legitamite cue question recently?
<hr /></blockquote>
HaHa, probably I didn't know the true answer so I just kept my opinions to myself and said nothing. Or maybe I wasn't online /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote redwinebluebird:</font><hr>
i've won song fight enough that this is easy to finish a thread up just right:

i'll take all from spiderman, eric, deeman, and rod's

will come out forever like pretty bird sounds

^v^
p.s. i like Meuccis and know more thn i'm letting on.. for the last time.. i'm kidding mostly

<hr /></blockquote>

Sung to the tune of?

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
03-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Deeman,
I first met Bob when he opened his small shop on Getwell RD. I think that was around 1972. I was a student at Memphis State. He only had a few cues and a very small shop. His line consisted of MO1 thru MO7. And, I think the MO7 was the most expensive at just around $200.00

Its good to see someone esle from Memphis on this board besides Spiderman.

I knew James Strickland when he had his place on Brooks Rd. and had locker #11 at High Pockets. I saw Louie Roberts play lots of matches at High Pockets and in Southaven.

I left Memphis in 1987 and only go back to visit once in a while.. Bill Nolan's place in Bartlett is where I try to get some table time in, when I visit.

Enjoyed you posts about the old matches in Memphis.. I use to be a rack boy when Peoples Pool Hall was downstairs off 2nd.

Troy
03-28-2003, 08:23 PM
If you have something to say to me, please say it directly. You can always the PM feature. If I somehow insulted you, speak up. Just please attempt to say it succinctly so it can be understood.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote redwinebluebird:</font><hr> without george, patrick, and the good troy.. and yea cheesmouse(ok, more than two) this is a clique that i hope to never be a part of.
^v^

<hr /></blockquote>

03-28-2003, 09:18 PM
Spiderman i thought better of you to jump in online from afar. if you remember i was all but kicked out of this web board for posting my honest experience with talisman tips.. i think i posted one rather pathetic one in six months after that.. neat to see that almost all agree now. being honest to oneself is always best even if it upsets others. by the way so there are no more drug referances. i am easily the most anti drug on this board.. drugs an be useful for people for enjoyment in the short term.. in this case i'm not going to say i have personal experience because i don't. drugs at times as i've seen can be an easy shortcut.. in some cases an easy shortcut to better billiard play. all are short term answers. no more recommendations for me to take drugs please.. particularly white man ugly synthetic drugs with terrible side effects.
sincere best regards,
^v^

no need to hide behind anonymitiy.. in billiards halls i go by Bird.. mostly my name is bryan bird.. my last name bachuawhanee.. english Tunican for Water Bird
love me hate me , set me on fire, i can beat you at all billiards so give me a chance..
i'm Bird the third in NoLA.. yep that's me.

03-28-2003, 11:49 PM
sorry Sneakypapi to get your honest question messed up a bit. to all i may have offended... i was bored today and just kidding around. a few truths though: i do like Meuccis just fine in real life.. but of course agree that yes there are much better hitting cues... especially these days. i really like the fact that there are so many cuemakers. my personal favorite is Mysticue. anyway there's not enough nuts on this board these days so i took it upon myself to volunteer. fill the void for awhile. nothing distastful intended.. and to Blue Wolf.. sorry i poked at you. and to Spiderman, i would like to get an answer from you on how to solve the cue problem i mentioned about two weeks ago.. Jer of deserved Blackheart cue fame was kind enough to describe what caused my cue troubles but didn't offer an applicable solution(i have access to a lathe but i'm afraid a little misstep could ruin my cue. i prefer slow accurate tedium to potential quick disaster). the wood portion of butt joint (wood to wood. and not a Meucci but my favorite cue i own) has swelled. needs a trimming to seat perfectly.. i was thinking to use a microplane to shave off a tiny bit and then carefully sand the outcome... or a razor edged Marples 1" chisel. i'm a bit scared to though as if i screw up i'll be very upset lol :-P
please PM me with your ideas.
also to all readers: please post about experiences with Black Dot shafts. i'm curious about the general concensus about them and really that's what Sneakypapi was asking about anyway.
best regards,
bryan bird ^v^ &lt;-- a sincere goofball but a goof all the same

SpiderMan
03-29-2003, 12:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote redwinebluebird:</font><hr> and to Spiderman, i would like to get an answer from you on how to solve the cue problem i mentioned about two weeks ago.. Jer of deserved Blackheart cue fame was kind enough to describe what caused my cue troubles but didn't offer an applicable solution(i have access to a lathe but i'm afraid a little misstep could ruin my cue. i prefer slow accurate tedium to potential quick disaster). the wood portion of butt joint (wood to wood. and not a Meucci but my favorite cue i own) has swelled. needs a trimming to seat perfectly.. i was thinking to use a microplane to shave off a tiny bit and then carefully sand the outcome... or a razor edged Marples 1" chisel.
best regards,
bryan bird ^v^ &lt;-- a sincere goofball but a goof all the same <hr /></blockquote>

Red,

I'm not sure I understand, do you mean that the wood inside the butt's joint collar "sticks out" beyond the face of the collar? And does the shaft when screwed in seat against this protruding butt wood, leaving a "gap" between the shaft joint collar and the butt joint collar?

If that is the case I'd also recommend the lathe solution. It should be a machine lathe with a large enough hole in the headstock spindle such that you can feed the butt through from the left, with only the collar protruding from the chuck. You must also have some method of holding and centering the butt where it will be sticking out of the left side of the headstock. If you are very careful, you should be able to adjust the cutting tool to "skim off" this offending wood without taking any material off of the collar itself. If you take material off the collar also, you would "shorten" the joint and then the shaft would rotate a little further when screwed on. In some cases this could lead to misalignment of the joint, particularly if the screw and/or pilot was not perfectly centered.

If you originally addressed this question to me, I did not catch it. Also I am not the most qualified to answer, as I am not a cuemaker but only a guy who has a lathe and works on them a little. But anyway, that's how I would tackle the problem.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-29-2003, 12:51 AM
I think I remember your Talisman problems. If you check back there in several threads, you'll see that I was reporting similar issues (particularly delams and breakdown a few layers up from the ferrule). I think I have the problem licked with the gradient tip, though, I've played 5 sessions a week with it for over a month now and no delamination or other characteristic problems.

Don't know how the drugs got into this discussion.

SpiderMan

Troy
03-29-2003, 06:24 AM
I agree Spider. Refacing the joint should be the solution. Obviously much care must be taked to assure both butt &amp; shaft are accurately centered. I suggest a dial indicator to guarantee centering. Also, only enough material to assure the joint is flush should be removed. Sounds like there's no need to touch the dollar.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
If that is the case I'd also recommend the lathe solution. It should be a machine lathe with a large enough hole in the headstock spindle such that you can feed the butt through from the left, with only the collar protruding from the chuck. You must also have some method of holding and centering the butt where it will be sticking out of the left side of the headstock. If you are very careful, you should be able to adjust the cutting tool to "skim off" this offending wood without taking any material off of the collar itself. If you take material off the collar also, you would "shorten" the joint and then the shaft would rotate a little further when screwed on. In some cases this could lead to misalignment of the joint, particularly if the screw and/or pilot was not perfectly centered.

If you originally addressed this question to me, I did not catch it. Also I am not the most qualified to answer, as I am not a cuemaker but only a guy who has a lathe and works on them a little. But anyway, that's how I would tackle the problem.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman
03-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Spiderman &amp; Tom,

Wow, you guys bring back some memories...Doyle could play some 'not so bad' one-pocket for a guy who had only one arm. I always loved his little loop he sat on the table to shoot with. Yes, you tagged Big James just right. Jack Hunter is dead. I always liked Jack but he was the type to steal the coins off someone's eyes if he could. I got my Balabuska through him so I can't knock him too much. I played just above Lou Jones and had to be real sharp to play with even a prayer against St. Louis. Remember, I never said I was beating him, just giving him money I took from some of the others (paying those stupid dues). I wasn't much older than you 'cause I was still in high school (Westwood) when I started "living" at Funland in about '67 or so. Danny Owens is in prison as he beat up and killed a couple of Hells Angels types over his clubs in the 1980's. I know of Mike Erwin, I think he probably kept Bob's business alive for many years, never got all the credit he deserved. I WISH I had his skill and knowledge in design and craftmanship!! Good to hear he's doing his own thing.

I was thin, tall (about 6'2") and shot with a Palmer (until the Bush came along). Lou Roberts was working for a trucking company in Preventative Maintenance and was a roommate to a friend (Franky Noto) when we started traveling over to Arkansas and Missouri. We met Roberts in Hot Springs and, after he robbed us, I started making trips with him to Knoxville, Nashville, Chatonooga and points east. I didn't need him for a travelling partner except that he was so danmed attractive to the girls, I just made out better with him around. I probably shoot about half the speed I did then but only play a couple fo times a month and gave up pool altogether for 15 years or so. I'm just working to hit them beter in my old age. I'm 50 and can enjoy the game with little pressure now. You may remember me but I came on pretty quick and then went off to colege at West Texas State on a football grant and aid so I played in mostly Texas and Oklahoma after that. I played in the German Bundesleague in Germany for a few years after that. Do you remember Buddy Hall coming through Memphis in about 1970? He busted us all! I still can't believe that ugly, skinny kid is the same guy we see today! There were three James Browns, two white; Big James, like you said, big shots but no postion game, the smaller James, lived on ride the nine but could have played if he didn't like to bang 'em so much and Black James Brown. He was, like Youngblood, not from Memphis so no one thought he could play. He would wear a big purple zoot suit and hat with high heeled boots and this alone got him games. He played a ball behind most of us but usually won by frustrating the opposition. I remember hearing about Bobby's turkey fest fight!

Tom, you actually racked at People's? Wow, I used to love my Step-Father taking me in there when I was about 14 or so. He grew up in Blytheville, AR. and told of action there and in People's. He was a friend of Titanic Thompson. I remember Chester Ward's place on 51 south that had only about 7 tables, Chester would rack and it was a nickle a rack for whites and a quarter for blacks! This was in about 1969!!! Can you believe that? I sort of used his character and many others I knew in Memphis in a pool novel I wrote (Balabuska's Nickle). I haven't dusted it off in a couple of years but may do so and try to get it published. It was based in Memphis and used some of the places we all played as a backdrop.

Good Memories.....
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Dee

SpiderMan
03-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Dee,

I hope we can meet up someday to swap stories or whatever, though if we play pool I may bore you with my incompetence. A little above Lou Jones, WOW! I'd like to read your manuscript sometime, whether you get it published or not!

Somewhere around here I still have a "River City Billiards" t-shirt with caricatures of Jack Hunter, Bob Meucci, and Doyle standing in front of a couple of "Mystery Gate" pinball machines. Doyle is holding his cue with the little slider on the shaft, his coat sleeve is tucked into his jacket pocket, and there's a "dialogue balloon" above Jack's head saying "Pay up, Doyle!". The balloon above Doyle just says "*$%%#@&amp;!", or something similar /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Sometime during the "River City Era", about the time the Golden Cue shut down, there was a yearlong craze of crawling on top of the pool tables. I still remember how silly some of those big guys would look going downtable on hands and knees to pocket a ball! I think this was around '76 or maybe a little later.

I didn't know Buddy Hall in 1970, as that was a little before my time. I didn't start going to Funland until about '72, and I had to be invisible because of the youth curfew. Before that I had played once or twice with my Dad down in the basement at People's or over at Bowlhaven Lanes in the Whitehaven Plaza on Hwy 51, but didn't stick with it. I do remember Buddy from the Golden Cue a few years later. I didn't know who he was but I thought he was one cool dude. He dressed in those open-collared "disco" shirts, had a big afro (yes, Buddy Hall with an afro), and beat everyone at 9-ball, which was the only game I ever saw him play. He barked constantly at the railbirds, well not barked but carried on a running pep talk. Probably a hustle, like the disco clothes and afro.

You and I probably looked somewhat alike. I was another tall skinny kid (6'1" about 150) that hung around mostly on the weekends. I'm 6'3" 180 now, still just as ugly but I play a little better. I went to Whitehaven, then Ole Miss.

I didn't have a cue in the earlier Funland days. My first cue was an MO-1 that I bought for $35 when Bob opened up his shop. It's so old it doesn't even say "Meucci" anywhere on it, it was one of the first. The butt warped in the forearm area after about six months, but I never got rid of it. It's still in my closet here in Dallas.

Funny you mention different racking rates for black and white. The "action" room I mentioned down in Oxford (Purvis's) was segregated until the mid-'70s. It was 15 cents a game for 8-ball and 10 cents for 9-ball. And it was "the" place to go if you wanted to book any sports bet. I can say this now without spoiling any action because it finally closed about 3 years ago. The building owners couldn't resist putting in yet another off-the-square nightclub since the county has gone wet. I heard someone from out-of-town bought all those old Brunswick Anniversarys for $500 apiece. Last I heard, Purvis is semi-retired and sell cars part-time.

Jack Hunter dead? I guess that doesn't surprise me as he was pretty old back in the '70s (at least to the observations of a kid). In late '80s I heard that he was hanging out some at the Rec in Southaven, but I never saw him. I only get to Memphis a couple of times a year.

R.McKay (tall black dude with a gold tooth, probably about 50 now) is still doing fine. Back in the '70s he played good but not great, but was always a good gambler. Now he's pretty good at 9-ball and one pocket, and an even better gambler. I spotted him in a pool hall not too long ago and started a conversation. He goes by a slightly different name now, and was a little surprised when I called him by his old handle.

SpiderMan

Tom_In_Cincy
03-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Memphis had its players alright.. and lots of matches.

If I had to compare Cincinnati and Memphis.. I would be sorry to say Cincy has a huge edge.

But from a youthful perspective, I learned a lot about pool in Memphis while I was growning up.

I also would love to read Deeman's manuscript or even buy the book.. if its published. Fantasy or not.. Memphis will always be considered HOME.

03-30-2003, 04:45 PM
No Mr. Spider man, that is not me, I have been on a 10 day tour of the NE, and have been away from my cpu. I just now hit the b0ard.
It breaks my heart to see people on this board attack &amp; run down Meucci's cues. There are 50 great cue makers out there, and none of them should be ran down. They all make a nice cue, and as it is in cars or women, one guy likes a blond, another a redhead.

Bob makes a fine cue, that plays great. I have never had a problem with one, and I push his cue hard, harder than any other player does. I may come back &amp; list the great players who have won world championships with his cue. If Bob tends to come off boasting, consider he may be telling you the truth, and if he is, then it's just fact, no brag.
Bob has only said one thing about pool, that I did not agree with him on. The man is a genius. You all need to lay off of him, he is a proud American, who has only American's working for him, and every part of his cue, comes from America, and his cues are only made in America.

I have been on his ranch, in his Buffalo herd, in his Appolusa horse stable, and in his home. I know him &amp; his wife well, and I can tell you this, Bob Meucci is a fine man, and so is his entire family. I am proud to call him a friend, I am proud to play with his cue.
How about you guys go pick on the Sadam diperhead cue being made out of Basura, I hear since we began level his factories, he's making that cue in the Phillipines????????????

Troy
03-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Can't be true. Most of the hardwoods used in cues are imported as was ivory.

By the way, what's a "diperhead" ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Larry:</font><hr> .....and every part of his cue, comes from America..... <hr /></blockquote>

03-30-2003, 05:29 PM
thanks Spiderman and Troy. i feel though, as much as i prefer to do my own cue work, because of the fact i have doubts of my skill with a lathe i'm better off letting Mike Jolly do the work. the problem is exactly as Spiderman described. oh and to not be misunderstood, i've never had a beef with you Troy, your posts to others on this board are helpful.
Dee.. i enjoy so much reading about old pool stories and how things were. i hope that we can look back on modern pool with as much affection but it seems to me that there are far fewer "characters" these days.
best regards,
^v^

bluewolf
03-30-2003, 06:46 PM
I do not get into the technical aspects too much. I held and hit with Fast's meucci and I liked it very much. I liked the hit and I liked the balance of the cue.

I am not sure exactly what was being objected to but the joint seemed very solid.

I have my own Blackheart but it is always nice to try other cues in case I might decide to buy a second cue one day.

Laura

SpiderMan
03-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Excuse me, I am one who has NOT joined the "hate Meucci" bandwagon. I have owned two of the cues and both played well. The first one warped in the forearm region when only six months old, but I attribute that to the fact that was around 1975 and Bob hadn't figured out the details of cuemaking yet. My second Meucci was made around the mid-80s and it's been a good cue.

The majority of Meucci complaints on this board have to do with poor quality and customer service, and relate to more recent work. I'm not part of that discussion.

SpiderMan

Deeman
03-31-2003, 08:00 AM
Spiderman,

Yes, I remember all us climbing on the tables. I think Lou started it (at least he got me doing it!). You are right, the fat guys looked silly doing it and, honestly, I think we did it more because someone else was! I, without thinking, climbed up on a table in Greenville, MS. to hit a ball playing one pocket and the guy said, "What the bejesus you doin' Chief?" I sheepishly climbed down and have never walked (or kneed) the felt highway since.

I have played a couple of times at Bowlhaven but not seriously. I went to Purvis's exactly twice. The first time as we walked through the door, a clown from Memphis spread the word that I was a world beater. Funny thing, I knew most everyone in the place but they hadn't seen me play in a while and I ended up holding up the wall that night. The next time I gave away too much and ogt my butt spanked, but good. Do you remember being able to buy beer in Mississippi at 16?

Jack died several years ago and I had stopped to play him a little memory one pocket maybe a year before that. He still had a little game in him but everyone said he was just hanging out and taking kids money. That was in Southhaven. He had showed up after retiring from Chicago in about 1965 and never said much about what he had done or who he had played before. He is the one that really got one pocket going in Memphis albeit he wanted a mortal lock on every game. Glad to hear McKay is doing well. I rememeber that gold tooth. He taught me a killer bank believe it or not. You can learn from anyone. I never played any serious pool against him. He had easier games. He is exactly 50 now as we shared the same birthday as I recall. I have not seen him in 25 years!

Hang onto that MO-1. Heck, It might be a collector's item one day, especially without the logo. I have an old one that we made up for snooker but my brother has it in Memphis, a 9mm shaft!

I might have an extra copy of my book laying around. I'll send it to you if you promise to give me a critical review and then send it on to Tom so he can critique it as well. I may have a couple of spelling errors in it but it should read well. I write a lot and have done a few novels and a lot technical works but I has just wanted to see if I could write one that appealed to both the serious player and someone who had never played the game. All of the non-technical stuff was just for my own enjoyment, not to publish. However, if you two think it has possibilities, I'll try. If you give me some ideas of how you would improve it, I'll credit you in the book. I have three current player names in the book so I'll have to get their permission to use them before going ahead. I use Jack's name and character but may have to change that. My daughter is a lawyer so I'll get her advice on that. Anyway, if you want it, PM with your mailing address.

I hope we meet someday. I don't know if I would be better than you now. I have just started playing again after a bit of time off. I am hitting them fair but just need more time to play. Being a VP in manufacturing keeps me pretty busy. It's a shame to let a career get in the way of a good game!!!!!

Tom, good to hear from you. I hope we can hit a few as well, some day. Memphis was a pretty good place to live back then. I still have friends there. I agree, Cincy has better players. Must be the water.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dee

Deeman
03-31-2003, 08:16 AM
One more Jack Hunter story... As you may know, Jack had a wooden leg. He, being a one pocket player, almost exclusively, he would want to play on the toughest table he could. I saw him match up with a pretty good black player, I can't recall his name. This guy wanted to play on an 8 footer with loose pockets. Jack said, "I have wooden leg. I have to play on the 9 footers." The other guy bought it and they played. I later asked Jack to explain how a wooden leg had anything to do with a big table. He said, "Snake, you'd pick on an old cripple man? I guess when you don't want to play a guy on a children's table, one reason is as good as another!" That's about all the explaination I ever got but did see him get an two ball spot against a guy who didn't have any business playing him with the same excuse. Some guys just have the gab (and the nuts).
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Dee

SpiderMan
03-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Dee,

I sent you an email with my address, I can't wait to read the book. Also I noted that I have a picture you might be interested in, I'll have to look around at home tonight and find it.

Too bad Jack Hunter is gone, I'll bet no one ever took the time to get all the stories from him. I can only vaguely remember him talking about making money hauling tires around in Chicago, or something like that. He had a bunch of stories. And I don't think he ever lifted a finger unless there was a profit in it for him /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Do me a favor, PM me McKay's birthday. He was shocked to have a stranger walk up and call him by his "Memphis Name", now he'll surely pass out when I wish him "Happy Birthday" on the correct date!

Maybe someday you can show me that bank shot?

SpiderMan

04-08-2003, 11:48 AM
I'm not a Meucci hater. I own several Meucci Cues and have two that I shoot with regularly. However I agree with Deeman about the service.

Last year I sent one to them for a new shaft. After many repeated calls and broken promises I did get it back. Almost 5 months later.

The killer is that I called them the day I sent it and was told it would take a maximum of two weeks. I sent it Fed-ex and verified that they received it two days later.

I will not purchase any more Meucci Cues because of this. Not even for my collection. (Unless it is a really old one.)

Bottom line. If you want good service DON'T go with Meucci.

cycopath
04-08-2003, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CU There:</font><hr>Last year I sent one to them for a new shaft. After many repeated calls and broken promises I did get it back. Almost 5 months later.<hr /></blockquote>Same thing happened to me, and I'm an authorized Meucci dealer. 5 months for a complete refinish and fitting of a Black Dot shaft to my Oldies 1. Although it was pretty cool that the repair shop gave me a rewrap for free because of the long wait.