PDA

View Full Version : Last night in APA-kind of funny

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 05:44 AM
I did not get to play last night because our other two hasnt met his 6 match requirement yet.

I did play two practice games before the match with one of our good fours who beat me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I missed a few easy shots because I am trying to learn shape but that is okay with me.Also Scott had worked some on my stroke so am trying to adapt to a new, better stroke. It has been my experience that when I am trying to get better at something, then my shooting sometimes declines a little temporarily. Anyway, in spite of that, I did get down to my last ball and 8 each time so that is good, I think.

The funny- They had handicap review last week. Whitewolf turned in a sandbagging six and he got bumped to a seven. Whitewolf had to play him. Whitewolf was playing well but the new seven almost beat him. The match went 5-4 with a total of 9 innings. Anyway we thought it was funny that ww got him bumped up and then almost got beaten by him.

There was another sandbagging six. When we watched him play, I said 'he is sandbagging, increasing his innings'. At first ww didnt see it but I pointed out that he was intentially missing. Apparently someone else complained about him because he got bumped to a 7 too.

Anyway, this team we played last night we were tied with for 2nd in our league and just 3 pooints behind 1st place. When ww and I left, our team was 4-0. Our good three was playing a really good four so I figured we were 4-1. So far so good, maybe I can help our team in the playoffs.

So the deal is, when I do not play apa, I play in the open tourney on sun. Lots of fun and nice folks.

Hope everyone is doing well this morning.

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-30-2003, 07:50 AM
"Whitewolf had to play him. Whitewolf was playing well but the new seven almost beat him. The match went 5-4 with a total of 9 innings."

that is a quick match for 9 games.

this past week i saw the most dominating performance yet in apa. the opponent's sl-7 played against our teams solid sl-5.

the 7-ernie won the match 5-0 in six total innings with our 5 donnie taking 3 total shots, and all of the off of safes. i was amazed. he is the first 7 i have seen shoot in apa. and he was unfairly ranked low imo /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

p.s. i beat the sl-7 in 9 ball on the practice table before his match /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bluewolf
03-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Wolfsburg,

Sounds like you did well against that seven in practice game, so maybe you should be a six, not a five.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Are you in an 8ball league or 9-ball

Laura

wolfsburg2
03-30-2003, 09:51 AM
nah, he missed on the 5 a shot he shouldn't have, and i ran.

i really think i should be a 5 based on my sever lack of safety and kick ability. as well as my streakyness(sp)

i am in an 8ball league, but i always like to play 9ball, cuz you can see a good player really get around a table.

q4summit
03-30-2003, 10:46 PM
Explain sandbagging? Im not in APA yet. I can see that missnig shots, intentionally, would be bad form. But how does this change an outcome in an APA match? I know that I miss shots intentionally depending upon who I am playing (sometimes I'll know if they'll set me up better for a shot I need rather than Me trying to make that setup when I know I can't). My friend does it when hustling, but other than that, we pot our balls. So why is Sandbagging bad?

Marc

WaltVA
03-30-2003, 11:25 PM
Since APA handicaps are calculated by a formula based on innings per match, a sandbagger can keep his handicap artificially low by missing shots. This helps his team field a stronger team within the 23-point handicap limit, and also can result in getting an undeserved spot from a weaker player.

Walt in VA

q4summit
03-30-2003, 11:35 PM
[censored]. Is this common???

Marc

bluewolf
03-31-2003, 06:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote q4summit:</font><hr> Explain sandbagging? Im not in APA yet. I can see that missnig shots, intentionally, would be bad form. But how does this change an outcome in an APA match? I know that I miss shots intentionally depending upon who I am playing (sometimes I'll know if they'll set me up better for a shot I need rather than Me trying to make that setup when I know I can't). My friend does it when hustling, but other than that, we pot our balls. So why is Sandbagging bad?

Marc <hr /></blockquote>

If you intentially miss to 'leave your opponent bad' and give you a subsequent better run, that is a defensive shot, not sandbagging. In that case, the scorekeeper is supposed to mark this as a defensive shot.

Laura