PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Flash Gorgon Table?

03-28-2003, 07:54 AM
a little over 15 years ago i was in NYC. about three years before i took pocket billiards seriously... i was in the Village at a pool hall i don't remember the name of.. Red's Something or other. in the front of the room i saw the most magnificent pool table i've ever seen. it was very much like a Brunswick Anniversary but far more fins and ribs and metal. it was definately a Brunswick table as i saw the name-plate. i've never seen anything like it since and all i've asked about feel i've confused with an Anniversary. no, those are neat but this was like an Anniversary comic book day-dream. the thing was pure American late 50's exaggerated machine Art Deco or 30's space comics art. in memory the thing probably weighed at least three gold crowns. does anyone know the name of this table or of the rarity? i've never seen even a photograph since... how much are these worth? also for you NYC people let me know the name of the pool hall.. it was nice even by modern standards and this table was in the main room. easily spotted within seconds of walking in the door.
best regards,
^v^

03-28-2003, 11:53 PM
no-one knows what this table is? no it's not a Centennial.. i would greately apprecuite any information about this.
best regards,
^v^

fishing----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<*){{{><

Pizza Bob
03-29-2003, 11:49 AM
If memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always), there were two versions of the Anniversary model table. The more common one with the aluminum cladding only at the corners and then there was one on which the entire table skirt had the fluted aluminum cladding. Someone jump in here and tell me if I'm right, or if I hallucinated such a table. If it's real, mayhaps that is what you saw?!?!?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

03-30-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi Pizza Bob,
yes, they did make a fancier version of the Anniversary called a Centennial. here's a photo of one http://www.1freespace.com/jsd/JSDConsulting/Pool/Centennial.htm
the table i saw was all metal but did look very similar as the photo but was far fancier. i hope someone can let me know... i hope to see another one someday or get a chance to purchase one.
best regards,
^v^

TomBrooklyn
03-30-2003, 05:35 PM
I was in Blatt Billiards on Broadway around 10th Street in Manhatten a couple of weeks ago and they told me they had one of those tables upstairs, which is not part of their general public viewing area. The one they have is clad in stainless steel and costs $32,000. I was surprised at how much more it costs than a regular Gold Crown or Anniversary even if it is stainless steel which I realize is a costly metal.

They showed me a picture of it, and I seem to remember that the steel covered all of the legs, not just the bottom part. I will be going back there soon and will double check. Tom

UWPoolGod
03-30-2003, 06:33 PM
The University of Washington, where I go to school, has 15 tables, 13 9', 1 10/5 snooker, and one billiard table. All of the tables are of the same age as the one in the picture, old Brunswicks. I am not sure of the exact number, but I think that 5 or 6 have the full chrome/metal skirting all the way around (as well as on the twin leg bottoms), and the rest have just the end corner chrome caps around the pockets.
One of my friends where I grew up went to the VFW and bought their table like these for $1000, full chrome.
Lucky guy.
I have known that these are expensive since I saw an antique billiard magazine with the picture in it. I am just waiting/keeping contact with the games area manager, so if they upgrade I will try to get at least one from her. I used to work there and volunteered to clean the store room which was packed with junk. Went through it was she let me keep old two piece cues and some old clay balls, smaller possibly for the snooker table.

Was a nice job, play pool all day for free.

Todd Speakman

dddd
03-30-2003, 08:42 PM
we have one in the pool room with the al on the pockets only,
i dont remember the name but i know someone has told me about it once.
it looks just like the picture except the al does not go all the way around, just the pockets.

if i remember i will ask next time im there