PDA

View Full Version : Old Threads

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Why did someone bring back that old thread on the break? The thread started in nov and was last posted on in feb? This was over a month ago. I thought that threads which were over a month old were locked. What gives?

Geez, good topic but why not start a new thread?

Laura

Wally_in_Cincy
03-28-2003, 09:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> Why did someone bring back that old thread on the break? The thread started in nov and was last posted on in feb? This was over a month ago. I thought that threads which were over a month old were locked. What gives?

Geez, good topic but why not start a new thread?

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

I think TB does it just to be a pain in the patootie. LOL

TomBrooklyn
03-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Is the knowledge from a couple of months ago now invalid and best discarded or forgotten about?

Wouldn't a new thread often require a rehashing of what has already been discussed?

Isn't it easier to follow a topic with continuity if questions, comments, or elaborations are made in the same thread?

Worse yet, wouldn't starting a new thread on the same topic often be recieved with apathy or disinterest simply becuase it was discussed previously?

Would anyone prefer to have a little information about a very specific topic in a number of separate threads rather than having it all in one place? Perhaps there are some folks who like to do laborious research for it's own sake.

Perhaps some don't like to do any research. Is it admirable to avoid the Search Function, ignore past discussion, and post a question that's been awnsered one or more times before? This new thread pushes the older good information deeper into the old pages. That makes the possibility of starting a new thead more likely, thus making the same information go deeper; a vicious cycle designed to bury good info.

Perhaps some things get posted that the writer would like to retract. Should these types of posts be encouraged by ensuring they will get buried quickly? It will enhance the quality and enjoyment of the board if persons understand what they write is available for response for a substantial time.

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Is the knowledge from a couple of months ago now invalid and best discarded or forgotten about?

I think it will greatly enhance the quality and enjoyment of the board if persons know that what they write will be available not only for reading, but for response for a substantially long time. If you want to post something you'd rather no one knows about a few weeks or months from now, I submit you might want to rethink if it is something that you want to subject the group even the first time around. <hr /></blockquote>

I heard when I got here that folks did not like resurrection of old threads. I kind of feel that way. I think banking is a good thread but I would rather see a new one started so that I dont have to read through a bunch of stuff to get to the new stuff. It really does not involve not liking what I said before. My perspective on a good break has changed but that was where I was then and this is where I am now. &lt;VBG&gt;

just my .o2

Did I snip enough, Tom? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

DSAPOLIS
03-31-2003, 02:45 PM
Old threads that are useless should be discarded. I quite enjoyed reading the resurrected breaking thread and was impressed with the content. Many informative threads on message boards are archived so that newbies can search through the old to find answers to their questions. Some of the the articles I have recently posted to this board were originally posted to RSB over 5 years ago, but they are still helpful to those who had never seen them before. Google has an excellent archive of old RSB threads that range in topic from ridiculous to brilliant. In MOST cases, an old thread is resurrected due to the subject matter being infinitely revelant, ie; the break, or subjects on physics, stance, etc. I'll say again that I enjoyed the old break thread, with the exclusion of the deleted posts.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-31-2003, 03:05 PM
Tom,
Perhaps someone might, just copy the link to the old thread and include it in a new thread.....

But, I know its easier to just add your comment and resurrect the old thread.

Doesn't matter one way or the other to me.. and for the life of me can't understand why it would matter to anyone else either?

Wally_in_Cincy
04-01-2003, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom,
Perhaps someone might, just copy the link to the old thread and include it in a new thread.....

<font color="blue">I think that is a more appropriate method. Just post a link to the old thread. That way folks have the choice of reading it or not. </font color>

But, I know its easier to just add your comment and resurrect the old thread.

Doesn't matter one way or the other to me.. and for the life of me can't understand why it would matter to anyone else either?

<font color="blue">The problem I have is this. Ressurecting an old, long thread will sometimes bury a new, shorter thread that might be worthwhile but it gets pushed back so far it goes unread.

JMO</font color>
<hr /></blockquote>