PDA

View Full Version : When Use Wrist Snap On Draw Shots?

TomBrooklyn
03-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Is it good to use a wrist snap on all draw shots or just some? What goes into deciding when and when not to use it? I wasn't using a wrist snap before but I did this drill

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(%AZ2J5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%H M7N8%IL7O4%JK6M5%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PW2 R4%Qq4Z0%Rl8Z0%Sf9Z0%Ta2Z3%U`8Z3%VZ5K6%W[0D9%XZ4I5%_f4Z5%`Z9K6%aW3Q4%bm0Z3%cf9U0%d[2K9)END

with Fast Larry. I was using my usual draw stroke which is a relaxed wrist with a longish smooth follow through, and I could get back to positions A and B on the diagram OK, but it wasn't working for me to get whitey back to positions C and D. Larry then had me stroke the ball with more of a stabbing motion with some wrist snap and it worked to get to C and D.

But now I'm not sure if I should be switching my stroke type back and forth between the two techniques, or how to decide which is best, or if I should just do whichever one works best in practice, ... and Larry's gone. Oh oh. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 11:33 AM
What I got from scott was hitting low, normal stroke and follow. It draws 1-4 feet easily on a short shot.No wrist snap that I was aware of. Now I have no idea how to make it draw a long way if the distance between ob and cb is large. Maybe I am not strong enough /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Rod
03-28-2003, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Is it good to use a wrist snap on all draw shots or just some? What goes into deciding when and when not to use it? I've noticed that when using the wrist snap the follow through tends to naturally be shorter. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,
That's because a wrist snap is a manufactured move, like a pop for lack of a better description. My reference is to the shorter follow through. One can shoot a shot with a relaxed wrist and let the normal timing of the swing bring the wrist back to address position when the c/b is struck. It just appears there is a wrist snap. It is in fact a natural and unforced motion with a full follow thru. The forced motion your talking about will lead to inconsistancy. You can do most anything without a lot of wrist movement. For the record I play with a relaxed wrist but use rythum and timing to make it a natural movement. Not all shots are played that way either in the interest of precision and c/b reaction.

Rod

ceebee
03-28-2003, 12:01 PM
as for my opinion, I shy away from any WRIST SNAP. My goal is to continue the DRAW stroke thru the Cue ball to a desired distance in order to obtain the desired DRAW effect.
Stopping the STROKE kills the action. Just my 2 cents.. cb

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> Stopping the STROKE kills the action. Just my 2 cents.. cb <hr /></blockquote>

When I was working with scott, if I did not follow through, the ball did not draw. Thanks.

Laura

Deeman
03-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't normally use a pronounced wrist snap and I draw the ball as far as I need, a table length or more. I have watched some exceptional players in the past, who use a defined wrist cock, at the beginning, and snap at the end of the stroke (or maybe just prior to the point of contact). David Howard had a very good draw and would snap his wrist in warming up before a match but I never saw him use that for normal draw strokes, even some pretty impressive ones! As well, I was watching Keith Mcready a couple of weekends ago doing some table length draw shots that he was hitting with slow speed and drew the cue like an animal. It seemed he would also use the same wrist snap when he wanted to really put the spin on some long shots where "normal" mortal english was not enough. I was amazed, with his sidearm grip, that he could stroke the ball so consistently with the wrist snap. I did see him use the wrist snap in several, but not all draw shots. I have tried this on several occasions but my loss of control of the exact direction of the shot (contact Point w/ object ball) made it a less than effective shot for me to use in normal competition.

So, my take is that a contrived wrist snap can be valuable but most of us don't have the control and hand eye coordination to manage it in normal day-to-day shooting.

I hust keep telling myself to relax my grip. Have been for 30 years and probably will for a few more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dee