PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hustling Movies

03-21-2002, 07:46 PM
I was just wandering if there are any pool hustling documentaries out there. Like any "life on the road" type movies. Or any pool movies in general excluding the greats like The Hustler, The Color Of Money, The Baltimore Bullet, and that one with Whoopi Goldberg. Thanks for your help.

john bastian in pa

Rod
03-21-2002, 08:40 PM
John have you read, Playing off The Rail by David McCumber? It's a good read and I found it interesting because I had played several of those guys in there. The book gives a pretty good account of what it's like playing on the road.
Sorry it isn't a movie.

03-22-2002, 03:56 AM
Not a pool movie but one that goes into hustling none the less - House of Games.

Good movie

03-22-2002, 04:04 AM
Rod, just wondering what your take is on the truth/fiction ratio of Playing off the Rail? Although I wasn't around NYC at the time, from what I hear, not much of what he describes in "The Chelsea Rip" chapter actually took place. At least not the way it's written. But again, I wasn't there.

Wondering if the guys you know, that were in the book, have told you similar things?

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. All true or not, it IS a great read...

03-22-2002, 08:52 AM
from a different perspective- I was in the Pacific Northwest around the time when the events in the book took place. I had not heard of the specific matches with Harry, Bill Cress or Tim, but I certainly do know they wre all good players and active at the time. Made me homesick for some of those Seattle rooms.

Rod
03-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Steve, it's hard to say how much truth or hollywood was written in that book. I'd have to review the book, but I believe the year was 92. I had quit playing for years and just started again in 92. The guys I played were road players and long gone by then. The only one that comes to mind is when they travled to Tucson and played Alf Taylor.
I don't remember the chapter name. I left Tucson in 92 and was not aware that Alf was even in the area, he lived there at one time. Sorry I can't help you.

What I got a laugh about is all that pool lingo--

Q-guy
03-22-2002, 01:52 PM
The poolroom scenes in the movie were shot in an old poolroom in Seattle If I remember right it was called the 211 club. I played there several times. Was an old room. It has since either moved or closed.

ChrisW
03-22-2002, 02:00 PM
I heard the 211 club simply closed

cheesemouse
03-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Chris,
I played there in the late 70's and early 80's. It was a classic inter-city old style room. Second floor, nasty freight elevator not a date place. I hear it closed and the building is now a bunch of trendy boutiques.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-22-2002, 06:46 PM
Hustling.. Movies... huh? well if you buy one of them.. maybe that will be the hustle.
I don't know of any, other than what you have mentioned. Have you ever read the "Green Felt Jungle" or "McGoorty"? Both are good 'reads' for us die hard pool players...