PDA

View Full Version : How to target?

03-28-2003, 12:59 PM
What is the best way to target the balls? I have been playing pool for 3 years, and played amateur, so I targeted, when was nearly shooting.

But then I have met a coach and he is preparing professional from me:) And he told, that the targeting should be done BEFORE standing in the post and shooting.

But the methods he explainded don't suit me. He advised imagining another ball near the targen ball in direction to the pocket. And the deal is to shoot in the center of this imagined ball.

This doesn't suit me, because for me it is difficult to imagine ball. It's not mine.

I am searching for the suitable way to target, but didn't find one. Always missing:)

Pls, help! What good ways of targetting do you know?

Wally_in_Cincy
03-28-2003, 03:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Skyer:</font><hr>
Pls, help! What good ways of targetting do you know? <hr /></blockquote>

Shoot about 100,000 shots and you'll be fine.

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
This is frustrating. I tried this method and that one, including the one your coach is describing looking for a magical solution. I was very stubborn but finally came to my senses and realized that nothing would substitute for hitting balls. A lot of expereinced people say 'time on the table'. Once I accepted reality, balls started going in. Not all of them, but steady improvement. So it is about accepting that it takes time and dedication to be good. I have also learned that there are lots of other aspects to this game besides getting the balls in the hole.

Laura

q4summit
03-28-2003, 03:19 PM
The "imaginary ball" is called Ghost Balling. It works for me, its quite easy. But it doesn't work for everyone. Jeanette Lee doesn't believe in ghosts. She flat out says: Shoot balls.

I've dont a variety of drills over the last 4 months and as much as they help me, I find they help me more to get in stroke than to know where to hit a ball. The true art of aiming for rather difficult cut shots, banks, etc, I have found is from what others here have said and most pros: Time at the table.

Constant failure is what will lead to constant success. You don't learn anything from winning, you learn everything from losing.

Shoot balls /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Marc

bluewolf
03-28-2003, 04:23 PM
One thing I think 'nothing succeeds like success'. When I took my first scott lee lesson last august, I asked how to do cut shots. He said to start with easy short ones and practice those.

Recently I was showing my daughter in law how to shoot.Dont laugh /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif My husband is a much better higher sl but I can teach better.He was trying to tell her 15 things all at once so I took over. She did need to move her bridge a little closer but that was enough for her to hit the ball. He wanted to tell her all this stuff about her stroke etc, I said, just so she can hold the stick, do the rest later, one thing at a time.I put the ball in front of the pocket with the cb about a foot behind and said shoot. She had never held a cue but right away felt good about pool. Sometimes she and I play. The rule is she gets bih on every shot. We dont care about winning, we just care that she gets to pocket her balls.If the ob is too far from a pocket, she gets to move that too. In a short time, she is developing some other shots too.

She does need a little more help though just on the alignment.Her stroke and bridge are pretty good for a ten year old. Were planning on getting one with scott but it did not work out.

Laura