PDA

View Full Version : Need advice & your vote: Best $100 cue ?

Snyder1
03-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Hi all - I'm a relative newbie - been playing serious for about 6-7 months & think I need something better than my $30 Walmart special. I'm really getting into it & am enjoying billiards immensely. I'm definitely not a beginner at this point, and have played enough to know that I think better equipment would help me. It's about time to upgrade (at this stage, I realize I'm not ready or more importantly, haven't developed the skills to appreciate the benefits of a Meucci or other higher end stick). I've done some research, and have an idea what I want, but would love some direction ... my target price range is +/- $100 for now.

- Which is "the" preferred mail order pool supplies house (best selection, best prices, etc) ? I live in a small town in Central PA & there's no place out here to try out anything before I buy ... so its gonna be mail order.

- What weight & length would likely be best for a borderline intermediate player (I'm 6', 225 pounds if this helps). I've got a 20 ounce cue now, seems a bit heavy. I just don't have the background to make an educated decision - what are some advantages/disadvantages of the heavier/lighter cue ? Length is also a question ... any recommendations ?

- As for materials, I've seen & played fiberglass, titanium, carbon fiber, and plain old maple. Fiberglass breaks amazingly well, but feels clubby. Titanium seems really unforgiving & I can't get used to the sound. Glass coated ... never tried one, but from what I've read, are popular ? Whats the concensus (again for somebody at my skill level) ? FYI: I'm a woodworker & would love to get something in figured maple, but I'm quite sure thats out of my price range for now - or is it (does anybody make a flame or birdseye maple cue in this price range) ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyways, I'm very glad I found this place & look forward to contributing in the future (instead of just asking questions).

John
-

dg-in-centralpa
03-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Snyder1- I'm from Central PA as well. Send me a private message and I'll tell you where to find decent sticks in the area.

wolfsburg2
03-30-2003, 07:35 AM
i say step up your budget to 200 or so, and get a nice, well balanced, pro tapered shaft/cue.

if you are intent on that budget, then i say get a 50-60 dollar sneaky pete, send the shaft to a cuemaker, have them taper it down a bit, and put a nice tip on it. this should be close to your budget(maybe 75 or so for the work, depending on the area, and cuemaker.

TomBrooklyn
03-30-2003, 03:04 PM
> I think I need something better than my $30 Walmart special.

What are you hoping to get that is better than your cue assuming that it is straight and solid with no loose or defective parts? You can probably get one that looks better. You might get one that is less prone to warping over the long run due to higher quality wood, but that's iffy at that price range. You probably can't get one that hits better, for most cues don't hit that much different. More inportant is that it's comfortable to you in weight and balance, rather than some special quality "hit". It takes a very good shooter to sense whatever subtle differences in hit exist. Cues vary somewhat in squirt and deflection of the CB, but it takes a pretty good shooter to figure that out too. Unless you get into low deflection cues like Predator or Meucci for around $350 and up, this is probably not a factor.

Unfortunately, if you buy mail order you won't know how it feels to you until it arrives. That's a crapshoot. If you are not in a position to try other cues, I don't think your well positioned to buy one, except you know it would be good to get a lighter one since you feel your's is too heavy.

You should probably get a 19 oz. An 18 oz. is somewhat out of the mainstream. There is no signifigant advantage or disadvantage within the common 19-21 oz range for your purposes at this time besides your preference. Get a standard length which is 58" I think. You might like pro taper, but you have no way of telling without trying one. When you have enough experience that you "know" you want something specific, that will be the right time to get it.

As for materials, the consensus is to use all wood and nothing else. Figured maple is probably out of the $100. price range.

Many people love to buy new cues. Most people buy them for their looks and lots of times I think they just imagine they play better. Many times, I think people buy new cues because they imagine they hit better, like washing and waxing their car makes it seem to run better.

Big_Jon
03-30-2003, 10:54 PM
here, go to http://www.billiardwarehouse.com and check out the specials, and if you want figured maple (which is not out of your price range) check out the adams section.

Thanks and your welcome

Jon

qSHAFT
03-31-2003, 12:55 AM
Dufferin "phantom" - best bang for bucks around - imo. Should be about $50 comes with a pro taper /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

http://www.dufferingames.com/cue_product-detail.phtml?sku=260041

Snyder1
03-31-2003, 08:05 AM
.. you've been a huge help !! I'm phyched & had no idea I could get into a figured maple cue for around a hundred bucks. I know a quality cue won't probably help me play any better, but might give me a bit more confidence & inspiration. Thanks again ...

John