PDA

View Full Version : Bucktooth website

Popcorn
03-28-2003, 09:42 PM
I hope someone is going to the exhibition and will report. When you read some of the website he sounds a little like Larry. Check it out, he is a real character, I tried to match up with him once, but he insulted me and high rolled me so we never did play. Does anyone go in the room where he plays, it says he plays there all the time. How does he play now?

www.crbucktooth.com (http://www.crbucktooth.com)

L.S. Dennis
03-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Well I'm not sure what 'the tooth' retired from 35 years ago but that doesn't mean he hasn't played during all that time. If anyone has any doubts just pick up a copy of David McCumbers book 'Playing off the rail' and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Bucktooth is at his best when he knows he has an audience and he begins woofing some great player into some kind of game. I saw him lay into Efren Reyes one night in Reno when he had the whole mezzanine area capivated with the theatrical event. Finally the security had to come up and break up all the fun everyone was having with it.

Reyes took it all in stride knowing full well and good that it was all a show, but a good one! Bucktooth is probably as close to a modern day Minnisota Fats as one could expect.

One note on his playing ability, he's a good one pocket player and excellent at matching up!

Troy
03-29-2003, 06:10 AM
Here's an example of Bucktooth's "sportmanship" ---

I was the TD at a One Pocket tournament. Race to 3. Bucktooth vs a player I'll just call "Roger". Score is tied at 2 games.

"Roger" owes a ball, Bucktooth has maybe 2-3 balls.

After about 10-15 minutes of safety play, "Roger" runs 8 balls. As the eighth ball drops, Bucktooth gets out of his chair and walks toward "Roger" with his right hand extended. "Roger" says "Thank you" and rakes the remaining balls toward the foot rail.

Bucktooth goes ballistic, yelling about "Roger" owing a ball. As TD, I rule that when Bucktooth got out of his chair with his hand extended, he effectively conceeded the game and therefore lost the match.

Bucktooth complained to the room owner who overruled my decision and ordered the deciding game be replayed.

Bucktooth intentionally and with no regard for sportmanship caused a situation because he knew he was gonna lose.

Well, Bucktooth lost anyway 'cuz "Roger" won that phony make up game.

After that I have no respect for Mr. Bucktooth Cook.

Troy

Popcorn
03-29-2003, 09:34 AM
Your story is typical of that type of player. Players like Keith, Ronnie, Bucktooth, and a few more I won't mention may seem colorful to the fans, who think their antics are in some way cool. But watching them from a distance and actually dealing with them is a whole different story. I don't think these loud mouthed Jerk %^& do much good for the sport. I don't think I would point to Bucktooth and say to my son, "Now there is a man you should admire".

L.S. Dennis
03-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Hey you guys, I'm not saying that Bucktooth is someone that you would necessarily want to admire or to emulate. But from a pure fans entertainment point of view the guy is good theater!

People go to a movie to be entertained, after it's over you leave the theater. Same thing here! Nobody is saying that he is a fountain of integrity, enjoy the guy from a far and you'll have fun with it!

Troy
03-29-2003, 10:54 AM
IMHO a cheat and scam artist is NOT good theater.

If you happen to know either John Henderson or a guy called Memo, they are good theater.

Troy...~~~ Just my opinion tho.

L.S. Dennis
03-29-2003, 03:16 PM
The point I'm trying make is he's not cheating and scaming while he's woofing. This is all I'm saying, and when he's doing this the guy is entertaining.

I have vaguely heard of Memo all though I'm not sure where.

NH_Steve
03-30-2003, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> IMHO a cheat and scam artist is NOT good theater.

If you happen to know either John Henderson or a guy called Memo, they are good theater.

Troy...~~~ Just my opinion tho. <hr /></blockquote>Maybe you should go back and watch The Hustler &amp; The Color of Money again -- they both had cheats &amp; scams, and without that, the movies would have bombed. The beauty of pool action is in the good guy/bad guy dynamic -- that's a big part of what sustains the entertainment.

Do I look up to scam artist like that? No I don't, but none-the-less I can see they are the ones that put the 'color' in the Color of Money...

Troy
03-30-2003, 11:26 AM
As far as movie entertainment goes, I completely agree with you. However, movies are movies. I find zero room for a complete lack of good sportsmanship in any sport, including pool. This sport we love is NOT the WWF. There is plenty of room for good entertainment, good theater if you will, without the crap all too prevalent and accepted by some.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> Maybe you should go back and watch The Hustler &amp; The Color of Money again -- they both had cheats &amp; scams, and without that, the movies would have bombed. The beauty of pool action is in the good guy/bad guy dynamic -- that's a big part of what sustains the entertainment.

Do I look up to scam artist like that? No I don't, but none-the-less I can see they are the ones that put the 'color' in the Color of Money...

<hr /></blockquote>

Steve Lipsky
03-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Hi Troy. I have two questions about this:

1) How can the room owner overrule the designated tournament director? (I know the easy answer, that he's your boss, but I'm hoping he gave you something more than that.)

2) What on earth was his reasoning in deciding that Bucktooth had not conceded the match???

No disrespect to your room owner, but I think he is at least as much at fault. He is letting people get away with this crap.

- Steve

L.S. Dennis
03-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Steve,
I'm not sure where Troy's room is in San Jose but any tournament that I've ever been involved in, the tournament director ALWAYS had the last say on any disputes arising in tournaments the he/she is directing.

If I were Troy I would consider re-examining my relationship with this room owner. I'm sure Troy is a good tournament director who deserves more respect than this from this owner!

Troy
03-30-2003, 12:38 PM
You're correct Steve, he was my employer. He also was a player in the tournament. He didn't give a reason, only "play that game over". Needless to say I'm not there any more and haven't been for almost two years. That room is in Mountain View and the owner is a little Napoleon/Hitler. For example, he didn't let a payout be announced until he approved it and that was usually after he knew who was in the money. Bad situation IMO.

The room I'm at now is in San Jose and this owner stays away from my TD activities. He lets me manage the room and the tournaments. It's also 15 miles closer to home... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Hi Troy. I have two questions about this:

1) How can the room owner overrule the designated tournament director? (I know the easy answer, that he's your boss, but I'm hoping he gave you something more than that.)

2) What on earth was his reasoning in deciding that Bucktooth had not conceded the match???

No disrespect to your room owner, but I think he is at least as much at fault. He is letting people get away with this crap.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
03-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Thank you. I try my best. For example, I have a printed payout for our weekly tournament (obviously dependent on the number of players) and I announce the payout within 5-10 minutes of starting play.

Troy

L.S. Dennis
03-30-2003, 01:01 PM
Troy,
I think I know the room in Mountain View that you're talking about. I too have heard of problems such as yours that other people have had with this owner who also plays in all the tournaments himself. I haven't had any personal problems with him other than him continually raising my USPPA average to what he thinks it should be at, but that's ok I've never said anything about that to him.

This is a place that Bucktooth would likely have been playing in a one pocket tournament at, a beautiful room nevertheless. Bottm line you made the right choice!

shooters1411
02-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Bucktooth is a great guy. He helps me alot. I was in Reno too when the Tooth hammer Efren. Bucktooth still plays alot of pool and he is still great at it.

LARRY_BOY
02-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Is any one having trouble getting bucktooth's web page to come up?

SpiderMan
02-28-2005, 02:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> Is any one having trouble getting bucktooth's web page to come up? <hr /></blockquote>

The link doesn't work for me, I tried it first thing this morning and again just now.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
02-28-2005, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> One note on his playing ability, he's excellent at matching up! <hr /></blockquote>

Sure, as long as he is getting the "nuts"...otherwise he won't match up at all! I've seen Bucktooth in his 'prime' and he was then, and is likely now, a disgrace to pool. JMO

Scott Lee

PQQLK9
02-28-2005, 02:32 PM
This was posted almost 2 years ago 3/28/03. The sites probably gone.

Deeman2
02-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Didn't Bucktooth get robbed, tied up in the back of his store a year of so ago? Maybe I'm just thinking of someone else but I seem to remember seing it on one of the crime shows last year.

Deeman

PQQLK9
02-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I think it was on America's Most Wanted.

Bob_Jewett
02-28-2005, 04:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> This was posted almost 2 years ago 3/28/03. The sites probably gone. <hr /></blockquote>
The domain listed no longer exists. There is "bucktoothbilliards.com" currently registered apparently to Bucktooth. See the Whois.org database for more info.

GeraldG
02-28-2005, 05:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Didn't Bucktooth get robbed, tied up in the back of his store a year of so ago? Maybe I'm just thinking of someone else but I seem to remember seing it on one of the crime shows last year.

I remember hearing something about him getting robbed and tied up in the back room of his jewelry store....seems like whoever that was telling me about it said that he nearly smothered to death because they taped his mouth and nose up with duct tape or something?

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>