PDA

View Full Version : Question for all the pool sharks

03-30-2003, 05:43 PM
My son is 13 years old and he is really interested in pool. I have been reading this forum for helpful hints on pool playing and reading material. Is there other books you would suggest for reading to help him? He will be simply teaching himself, We will help him when or where we can.

Unfortunately where I live there's no Junior pool sharks leagues. Heck it would even be nice to have a decent billiard here on this island. I told hubby we should open one but what's the use when I only know the basics of pool...LOL and I mean basics (pool table, cue stick, cue ball, chalk) hahahahah /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I played pool a few times but have no knowledge of pool terms *LOL* I even own a McDermott and only used it twice.

Any help from you will be greatly appreciated.

Much Mahalo!

Popcorn
03-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Have you ever heard of Hawaiian Brian? He has a pool room in Hawaii where I would bet you could find a lot of stuff, I know he carries supplies. It would be a good place to play if you are close, I think there are a lot of good players there to watch and maybe even get some lessons. Check it out. Hawaiian Brians who owns the place is a terrific player (or was, I don't know how he plays now), he beat me pretty good some years ago.
http://www.hawaiianbrians.com/

Harold Acosta
03-30-2003, 07:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hawaiian Fantasy:</font><hr>

Unfortunately where I live there's no Junior pool sharks leagues. Heck it would even be nice to have a decent billiard here on this island. I told hubby we should open one but what's the use when I only know the basics of pool...LOL and I mean basics (pool table, cue stick, cue ball, chalk) hahahahah /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I played pool a few times but have no knowledge of pool terms *LOL* I even own a McDermott and only used it twice.

Any help from you will be greatly appreciated.

Much Mahalo!

<hr /></blockquote>

Taken from the "Believe it or Not" post here at the CCB:

1949 Joseph Thomas, Quincy Point Mass, has operated a billiard parlor for 35 years and has never played a game in his life.

<font color="blue">Harold ~ Puerto Rico, USA! </font color>

<font color="blue">Billiards: A passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

q4summit
03-30-2003, 10:28 PM
I've so far read a few books but found that I gained more knowledge from this website and reading posts from these players than from any book i've read.

As for books that I think would help (since they sure as hell helped me):

Play your best pool: Phil Capelle
Play your best 9ball: Phil Capelle
The Black Widows Guide to Killer Pool: Jeanette Lee
Precision Pool: Gary Kanov and Shari Stauch

Also, The Monk is a cool guy that knows his [censored]. Find some books or tapes/videos by him.

Just some background for the books: Play your best pool is awesome for fundamentals. His book on 9ball is far beyond my grasp of the game however its amazing for setting of drills (everyone should check that one out). Jeanette Lee's book is my favorite, teaches you not only things about pool but the mental side, how to prepare, and things for everyday life. Precision Pool is what I am reading now, its written quite well and its a refresher for the basics (so far).

I would check the archives on this site for back some of the players. I would go online and just search for sites. If your son is into the internet there is a online pool school that only costs 20 dollars a year. 12 hours to get a responce from the teachers, they cover a wide variety of subjects and allows you to interact with other players, like here.

billiardexperts.com

Internet is your friend. 6 months ago I didn't even know how to hold a cue. Today I am about an SL3 and on a great day can hold my own against my friend which is an SL5. Use your rescources and your son (and even you if you wanted) will be on his way to success.

Marc

03-30-2003, 11:43 PM
<font color="blue"> /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif 1949 Joseph Thomas, Quincy Point Mass, has operated a billiard parlor for 35 years and has never played a game in his life. </font color>

WOW!!!!!!!!! amazing! so there is hope for me *lol* /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for Hawaiian Brian, he's on another island /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wish there was one here on this island.

and thank you for the other great book suggestions, I really appreciate your replies.

qSHAFT
03-31-2003, 12:33 AM
I too would recommend Capelle's books. His latest one includes a video of a pro 9ball match which could be good to give your son an idea of what a well played match looks like.

I don't know how much a beginner would get from the Monks stuff, he seems to be more about the advanced mental aspect though I could be wrong.

I would stay clear of Janette Lee's book - there isn't any technical knowledge there that isn't covered in Capelles book. Seems to be mostly about her complaining about other women pro's and the organisation. I will disclaim this by saying I am a big Lee fan but her book was well below average for me.

Hope this helps - qSHAFT

q4summit
03-31-2003, 03:56 AM
Yea, forgot the kid aws 13 hehe. The Monk he can pick up at 15 if he sticks with pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lee's book is more novelish than tech stuff. Which was a refersher for me from the constant repeative: hold the cue this way, do this, do that. Its a preference thing.

Oh well, good luck!

Marc

L.S. Dennis
03-31-2003, 10:20 AM
One good book that you might want to consider is; 'Standard Book Of Pool and Billiards' By Robert Byrne. This book covers practically eveything from set up and stance to a guide to all cue games. Great book for someont who is just getting started.

Kato
03-31-2003, 11:13 AM
Check out 99 Critical Shots of Pool by Ray Martin. The man is a genious on the pool table.

Kato

NBC-BOB
03-31-2003, 01:57 PM
Gee there are so many good instructional books and video's available these days. Checkout the local library! Some have videos and whatever they don't have they can order from other libraries.Like all sports, if the basic fundamentals are learned correctly from the beginning,then his progress will be faster and enjoyable. Otherwise he may get frustrated and give it up.

9 Ball Girl
03-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Any book by Phil Cappelle.
www.billiardspress.com (http://www.billiardspress.com)

And...Steve Campagna's Blackbelt Billiards
http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/

Wendy~~hope this helps!