PDA

View Full Version : World Poker Tour

UWPoolGod
03-30-2003, 07:38 PM
I am watching the Travel channel right now, and the man who finished 4th was John Hennigan. They said that he used to be a professional pool player. Anyone heard of him, and/or if he was good?

Popcorn
03-30-2003, 10:37 PM
There was a few poker players that played pool. One guy who was a champion poker player, some call him the greatest ever, Pug Pearson, he played in Johnston City. Amarillo slim used to show up at pool tournaments and I think he played, but he never entered. There seems to be a connection between poker players and pool players, many play both games.

Hopster
03-30-2003, 10:44 PM
There was a few poker players that played pool. One guy who was a champion poker player, some call him the greatest ever, Pug Pearson, he played in Johnston City. Amarillo slim used to show up at pool tournaments and I think he played, but he never entered. There seems to be a connection between poker players and pool players, many play both games. <--Popcorn

I heard Puggy played and i know Slim played. How well i dont know but i heard Bobby Baldwin likes to play also.
Poker players on the whole i dont care for, but im not going into that.

Kevin Whitt
03-30-2003, 11:39 PM
I have heard that Mark Tadd played in some kind of World Championship. I heard he did not win, but got pretty far in the tournament in 1992.

Visit www.nineballking.com (http://www.nineballking.com), Where Customer is King

Kevin Whitt

JPB
03-30-2003, 11:50 PM
"Poker players on the whole i dont care for, but im not going into that."
<hr /></blockquote>

LOL. You've met a few then?

Don't forget Archie Karras. He may not be the best player in either game but he will sure as hell out gamble just about anybody. Don't come with short money against Archie. He views poker as a small money game, so what must he think of pool?

JPB
03-30-2003, 11:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kevin Whitt:</font><hr> I have heard that Mark Tadd played in some kind of World Championship. I heard he did not win, but got pretty far in the tournament in 1992.

Visit www.nineballking.com (http://www.nineballking.com), Where Customer is King

Kevin Whitt <hr /></blockquote>

I played poker with a guy who played both pool and poker with Tadd. Apparently he played well in the cash games in Las vegas, particularly pot-limit and no-limit. This is a much better indication of a poker player's ability than tournament play. I have no personal knowledge on Tadd's poker, but if he can beat tough cash games he is an excellent player. Many tournament stars can't.

Hopster
03-31-2003, 02:05 AM
LOL. You've met a few then?

Don't forget Archie Karras. He may not be the best player in either game but he will sure as hell out gamble just about anybody. Don't come with short money against Archie. He views poker as a small money game, so what must he think of pool? &lt;---JPB

Well JP, ive lived in Vegas for 15 years and been dealing dice for 22 years , so yes i met a few of them. You ever hear the expression " He will put a snake in your pocket and ask you for a match" ?? Well that pretty much sums up my thoughts on poker players. lol
As far as Archie goes, i dont think god gave anyone and i mean anyone bigger balls than him when it comes to betting cash. He allegedly had the Horseshoe stuck to the tune of 25 million over the course of 6 months i think it was.
I also heard about some of the pool matches he was in. I hear conflicting things but i do know he dropped a ton to one guy who i see around.
Archies a crap shooter, kind of reminds of me of one guy who won a million off us over 9 days and blew 870,000 back to my crew in 5 1/2 hours. I was there for the loss and most of the win. That was something.