PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Night at SPetty's "PettyPoint Pool Hall"

SpiderMan
03-30-2003, 11:58 PM
We (DFW CCB'ers) made the pilgrimage out to Terrell, Texas yesterday afternoon to break in SPetty's new 9-ft Diamond Pro and 7-ft Valley Cougar in the new gameroom. The group consisted of SpiderMan, Sid Vicious, Eg8r, OnePocketChamp, PoolFool, Michelle (Hawley's), SPetty, and SPetty's "Pet Man" LeRoy.

I have to tell you, SPetty and LeRoy have one of the nicest gameroom setups I've ever seen. Turn into their gate off the main road, and follow a winding driveway for several hundred yards through the trees (nothing can be seen from the road). Then you're into the clearing and the driveway forms a circle on itself, about a hundred feet or so in diameter, bordered by three main structures: The House, The Barn, and The Gameroom, plus parking all around. Oh, and in the center of it all is the swimming pool, but it was kind of cold so we didn't partake. Well, actually we did partake, but we still had sense enough to stay out of the pool.

Anyway, the "Gameroom" should be renamed the "Fun House", it's definitely Texas-sized. My guess would be about 25 by 60 feet, two stories tall, and 15-foot ceilings. Two pool tables downstairs, 'fridge for food and beverages, bathroom, and of course a full-size CD jukebox. Two sets of French doors open onto a full-width porch, for those wanting to soak up the countryside ambiance or suck on a cigarette. Upstairs is the guest quarters, for those who're having too much fun to drive back to the big city. Separate climate control and facilities up and down.

Here's part of the downstairs, with Eg8r taking a shot on the 9-foot diamond and OnePocketChamp working out on the Valley Cougar:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=SPetty%27s+Poolroo m.jpg&.view=t&.done

I'll not steal all the stories before SPetty gets a chance to post, but I will summarize:

1. You should have been there, if for nothing else than to eat SpiderMan's Texas chili.

2. This gameroom was incredible!!! BTW, LeRoy built the entire thing himself!!!

3. We had a blind draw Scotch doubles tourney. The partners were: SPetty and LeRoy, OnePocketChamp and Eg8r, Sid Vicious and PoolFool, and SpiderMan and Michelle. Double elimination, winners play on the Diamond and losers on the Valley. Not to spoil the suspense, but a certain team "S&M" never left the adult-size equipment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=Tournament+Chart.j pg&.view=t&.done

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=Winner+Bracket.jpg &.view=t&.done

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=Loser+Bracket.jpg& .view=t&.done

Did I mention this was possibly the neatest gameroom I've ever seen? Pool memorabilia everywhere, they even have a "magic 8-ball" fortune teller to settle those arguments. And the walls are lined with cue racks as well as hooks to hang your case.

Anyway, when the tournament was over it became a "winner stays up" sort of thing on both tables, with a few breaks to finish off the remaining food. Finally, as night fell, a contest of "who remembers the words to that obscure song on the CD jukebox?", and "who can hold out the longest before heading for home?". I think the PettyPoint Pool Hall never closes, so you're limited only by your stamina and better judgement. I think I got home about 2:30 am, with one eye open. Can't wait to do it again.

From left to right: SpiderMan, Eg8r, OnePocketChamp, Michelle, SPetty, PoolFool, and Sid Vicious

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/funkychateau/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.dnm=The+Gang.jpg&.view =t&.done

SpiderMan

Hopster
03-31-2003, 02:12 AM
Now that is a really good looking room from what i saw. If he did that floor himself he is to be commended, thats a nice looking job and i know it had to be a ballbuster to do since i used to do a little floor tiling myself.
Good luck with it and may you always enjoy it.

eg8r
03-31-2003, 07:19 AM
It was a great time, and a great gameroom. SPetty and LeRoy have an awesome setup. It is very nice country out there, LOL but too many trees for my blood. I will take the city any day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I spent the majority of my time on the valley. My teamate and I both stunk it up pretty well on the Diamond so the little table was better for us.

It was a great time hanging out and playing pool with my online buds. The music was nice and mellow however most songs were a bit different from my own personal collection. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was nice to play pool for a few hours and not hear one single eminem song. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif OPC did say he wished he could hear Eminem's Superman just once. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty, thank you for inviting us out to your place. It was wonderful.

LeRoy, what an awesome job you did building the gameroom. I just cannot say enough about how nice everything was.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
03-31-2003, 08:33 AM
Now that is one good looking bunch of Texan poolplayers!

I am in LOVE with that room. One day, if Susan allows it, I'd like to come by if I'm ever in Texas. Just one question. I noticed the glass doors. Are they "flying cueball" proof?

Wendy<---drooling http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/drooling1.gif

Deeman
03-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Spiderman,

Now I have seen your picture. I may rememebr you from River City or the Corner Pocket but you were a little younger than me, I believe. Anyway, it's a nice set-up they have there. Maybe I'll make it to Texas for a game, as a part of a business trip, of course. Hey, I will challenge an old Memphis guy to do better than Texas Chili. I'll have to bring a little Memphis Chili and a rib or two from home so you can remember what real food is like. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Why is onepocketchamp standing so far back in the photo. Doesn't want us to clock his face for future reference?

See I made it through a post without saying anything negative about Meucci's.....

Dee

Scott Lee
03-31-2003, 09:09 AM
Wow...What a great set up! I can't wait to come out and rack a few balls with Susan next month!

Scott Lee

PoolFool
03-31-2003, 09:40 AM
As every one else, I had a great time at SPetty's Pool Hall. It would be hard to build a better set up. The best part of the day was meeting new pool players and playing with some I havn't seen in several months. If every one had as much determination as Molly we would all be better off. I don't care where you throw the stick, that dog is going to bring it back. By the way Spiderman, I had a new Moori on before 10:00 AM Sun. to replace that seperated Hercules.

We shoul do this again soon.

PoolFool

SpiderMan
03-31-2003, 09:48 AM
Sounds great, stay in touch or PM me when it looks like you may be in the area. Whenever I used to go through Memphis I would stop in at Leonard's for BBQ, but their last store is long gone now.

Back in July I was in Memphis and noticed that my old neighborhood "Coleman's BBQ", which had gone through several name changes, was now "Colemans" again. It's the one on Millbranch in Whitehaven just north of Holmes road.

Anyway, I had always wondered why all the Colemans BBQ joints disappeared, and I found out. I was shooting pool at a place called Joey's Bar on Millbranch, and it turns out my opponent was Gene Coleman. He told me that all the original franchise agreements had a clause that allowed the owners to privatize after 20 years or so, so sometime in the '80s most of the 150+ Coleman franchises started becoming Billy's BBQ, etc. Anyway, he said that there were still a few that were family-owned or repurchased, one being across the street from where we were shooting pool, and with that he unscrewed and walked back over to open the store.

Just a little BBQ trivia!

BTW, I grew up in Memphis and still I'm not sure what "Memphis Chili" would be. I don't think I ever had any!

SpiderMan

Deeman
03-31-2003, 09:59 AM
Spiderman,

Memphis Chili is made with about 2 lbs of ground beef, four purple onions, chili powder, one green pepper, a strand of red New Mexico Chilis, 1 & 1/2 cups of white sugar, 2 tablespoons of salt, one Budweiser (16 oz can, leaded), 2 cans of diced tomatoes. No beans of any fashion are even allowed close to the mixture.

I know this does not sound like Chili to you but it will rekindle those Delta tastebuds post haste. By the way, I lived on Coleman's and Loeb's barbe-que for years. It is it's own food group.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Dee

Sid_Vicious
03-31-2003, 10:05 AM
It is a perfect setting alright! I have two points to make, one I am darn happy Michelle didn't get her way with putting a picture of my butt on the web. Two, the tournament was rigged by keeping me on the Cougar 7' the entire time! ;-) I ain't no seven foot table player, and never will be....sid~~~happiest though that my butt stayed "undiscovered"

SpiderMan
03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
1-1/2 cups of sugar? Sounds like a baked-bean recipe, without the beans. But it does sound Memphis alright, they use a good bit of sugar or molasses in their BBQ sauce. Cook it up, I'll eat it.

I'll bet you remember the old radio commercials (mayor) Henry Loeb used to run on WHBQ ..... "If you spill sauce on your shirt at Loeb's BBQ, Loeb's Laundry will clean it free!"

SpiderMan

Deeman
03-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Spiderman,

I do remember Henry doing that commercial! Hey, I left a fairlyu long post to you on the Meucci string. Rather than dump it here, make sure you go back and answer it there. Hey, do you ahve any ribs that compare with Gridley's or Rondevous there?

Dee

SpiderMan
03-31-2003, 10:31 AM
There is a franchise called "Red, Hot, and Blue" that claims to be "Genuine Memphis-Style BBQ". There are 3 or 4 stores here in my area. It's sort of a BBQ version of a Hard Rock Cafe, with interior decor basically a bunch of blues trivia, Elvis photos, etc.

The ribs are pretty good, I'd say in the Gridley's class. Believe it or not, I never ate at Rendezvous. Red, Hot, and Blue also serves a Memphis-style sandwich they call "pulled pig" that has the required dollop of cole slaw under the bun.

SpiderMan

Deeman
03-31-2003, 11:52 AM
They have a Red, Hot and Blue in Detroit and it is not bad stuff actually. I think there is a Memphis Style Bar-be-que near me here but I have not found it yet.

The book is boxed and ready to go, I'll mail it tomorrow.

Michelle
03-31-2003, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Not to spoil the suspense, but a certain team "S&amp;M" never left the adult-size equipment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>
S&amp;M....
Spiderman, how did you know?!?!

JK...I have to say, the pool room is fabulous, as well as our hosts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm still not sure if I shouldn't find that pic of you-know-who's butt though LOL

It was great time, and if I didn't have to go home and walk my poor puppy dog, I'm sure I could have stayed a little while longer, but a couple more beers may have made me the first overnight guest. Haha!

So, now that Susan has her pool room, and will no doubt be playing almost daily, and between her, my state scotch doubles partner, and my nationals scotch doubles partner keeping me practicing at least 4 nights a week, who else is going to be joining us in Vegas for BCA??
Cuz, you know, the team Susan and i are playing on going to be in the top 3 women's open division, according to the captain.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-31-2003, 03:17 PM
"Red, Hot and Blue" use to be Dewey Phillips' rock'n'roll tag line for WHBQ in the late 50s and 60s.... now that is going way back..

And if you think the Rendezvous or Gridleys is good Bar-B-Que.. you never had any from the Memphis In May BBQ contest. I was envolved with this event when it was in the empty parking lot between the Memphian theater and Goldsmiths downtown on BEALE St. next to the train tracks.

WE (Curbi) had two 3rd place finishes and one 2nd place.. in the first 4 years of the event, befor they moved it to Tom Lee Park on the river..

Tom_In_Cincy
03-31-2003, 03:19 PM
Would it be OK if Marty passed it on to a fellow Memphian after he is finished with it?

Deeman
03-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Tom,

Yes, I asked Marty to pass it on to you when he's finished. I just want some honest feedback and recommendations on how to improve it and if it is a good story with wide appeal.

I now the Memphis in May contest is the best and have a cousin that participates every year. Tom, you know your Memphis history. You must be as old as I am! Do you know what the letters WHBQ stand for? Of course, I'm only taking about HBQ as the W stands for location east or west of the Mississippi. It's trivia time! When I was a kid, I lived on Rembert Street and saw all the Elvis movies at the Memphian and actually got into fights after seeing Kid Galahad (just to be like Elvis!).

If you, me and Spiderman sat down with a few cold ones, I could write a couple of more books. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
03-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Now there is a good looking group, you remind me of pool players. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif What a beautiful room! All along we heard about it but I had no idea how nice it really is. The photo captures all of the hard work Spetty and LeRoy have done.
Congrats to Spidey and Michelle for winning that grueling LOL tournament.

Rod

Karatemom
03-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Wow, can we move in with you? Of course, you'd have to bring in a bed, because Chris would never leave, LOL.

I love the pictures, Spidey. I know you and SPetty, but it's nice to put a face with the other names.

That's quite a beautiful set up. Tournament chart and everything!

Heide ~ wishing we lived in TX right now, LOL

SpiderMan
03-31-2003, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Michelle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Not to spoil the suspense, but a certain team "S&amp;M" never left the adult-size equipment! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>
S&amp;M....
Spiderman, how did you know?!?!

<hr /></blockquote>

A lucky guess? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

SpiderMan

snipershot
03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Wow! That looks/sounds fantastic, kind of like some of the "pool related" dreams I've had. Congrats to SPetty and Leroy on putting together such a beautiful gameroom. I liked the pictures as well, especially the one of the whole gang together. It's nice to put some faces onto the CCB'ers I've talked to here, it sounded like you all had a great time as well.

Snipershot

SPetty
03-31-2003, 10:05 PM
Wow. Thanks. I'm speechless. What a great review of PettyPoint Pool Hall. I'm glad you liked it. Please come back again. I never knew it was such a great place until I saw your post and your pictures! Wow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I worked like the dickens to get it "presentable" for company. Glad it worked!

Yes, Hopster, he did the floor himself. He did a great job and it's as pretty in person as in Spiderman's pics. It's "#3" flooring with knotholes and splits and short pieces. It adds lots of character and it's less expensive, but a lot more work!

Thanks so much to everyone for coming and breaking it in just right. Thanks, Spidey, for that great chili. I really need to get that recipe from you if you're willing to share. Maybe we could play for it next time. Of course, I'll need a spot. For the last several hours, it was just me and Spidey, and I think I won maybe two games total...

Spidey may have exaggerated the pool hall dimensions just a little... And yes, there's the house, the barn, the pool hall around the circle, and LeRoy's shop. Remember? You parked in the shop's driveway... (LeRoy's shop and the PettyPoint Pool Hall are both bigger than the house...)

Hey eg8r - not that I saw everything, but I didn't notice you actually checking out the music on the jukebox. If you're going by what other people played, then you missed out on much of what's on there. Next time you come out (and you are coming back again, even if it's out in the country!), bring a CD or two to add to the box. I'll even let you pick which old ones your one or two will replace!

Sid is right. Looking back on the tourney, we should all have started on the big table, even if it would have added a few minutes to the tourney. He and PoolFool were definitely handicapped by randomly being chosen for the bar table first... Here's a pic of the happy winners:

http://members.aol.com/IHeart8Ball/pics/winners.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for coming. I'm glad you had a good time. Please come back soon.

9 Ball Girl: You're welcome anytime. Let me know and I'll pick you up at the airport! Or stop by on your road trip to Vegas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee: I'm looking forward to seeing you again next month. You're welcome to stay here, but it might be on the air mattress on the floor rather than the unfinished guest room. Give me a few days notice... There's tequila in the freezer...

Have you guys seen those little super ball pool balls you can get out of gumball machines? PoolFool brought me a whole set of them! Every ball including the cue ball! hahaha - so cute! Must have cost him quite a few quarters.

Speaking of quarters, I seem to have made some money on that bar box... I'm a couple of dollars up for the day!

Hey Karatemom, the guest room upstairs is just made for you and family! It'll be waiting for you whenever you can make it!

Spiderman's picture of the whole group was better than any from my camera. However, my camera had these pics. You can see where Spiderman gets his name. Check out those legs! There's at least 8" of space between the table and his crotch! Man, them's some long legs!

http://members.aol.com/IHeart8Ball/pics/spidey.jpg

Thanks again for the nice words. Y'all are welcome anytime.

SpiderMan
04-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Susan,

Is there a way I can link to one of those pictures to make it appear in the corner with my posting name? The one I used to have is somehow broken, it just shows the infamous red "X".

SpiderMan