PDA

View Full Version : Buying Tips

UWPoolGod
03-31-2003, 08:56 AM
I was looking at Barringer's new eBay sale of Moori tips and saw that they are 14 mm. I know very little about retipping a cue..mostly where to get it done. Do tips normally come this size? Are they fine to be filed/sanded down..and the the sides burnished again to fit the right shaft? I have never shot with a Moori and figured I would buy a couple, but figured it would look funny with more than a half mm sticking off each side.

================================] O

Todd

Troy
03-31-2003, 09:06 AM
14mm is a very common size as is 13mm. All tips should be bought oversize and trimmed flush to the ferrule after installation. For a layered tip, I strongly recommend trimming while the shaft is turning (as in a lathe). To trim other wise may weaken the laminations.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> I was looking at Barringer's new eBay sale of Moori tips and saw that they are 14 mm. I know very little about retipping a cue..mostly where to get it done. Do tips normally come this size? Are they fine to be filed/sanded down..and the the sides burnished again to fit the right shaft? I have never shot with a Moori and figured I would buy a couple, but figured it would look funny with more than a half mm sticking off each side.

================================] O

Todd
<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
03-31-2003, 10:37 AM
That's right, I'd buy all of mine in 14mm and trim rather than figure a 13mm was going to center and stay flush on a less than 13 ferrule...sid

UWPoolGod
03-31-2003, 11:13 AM
Great guys...thanks for the input.Appreciate it as always

Todd