PDA

View Full Version : Downright, brutally rude

03-22-2002, 02:25 AM
Hello all,
I can't believe what was said to me today. First off, one of the places I play alot has alot of "A" players with a few "open" players.
I was playing this guy a race to 13 for time, and there actually were a couple guys with their "stop watches" watching the match. I had a lead at one time of 8-3 which closed to 8-8 in 5 games (I flat missed 4 shots and didn't make a good hit on one safe in these 5 games). I ended up losing the set 11-13. After the set was over, one of the "onlookers" ("A" player") came up to me and said "Ya know Scott, if I played as bad as you I'd quit for another five years". Needless to say, I took this comment really hard, mainly because I have been practicing alot, trying to get my game back up to speed. I told the guy right there that I thought he was a real class act. Apparently I have over rated my ability, which I posted somewhere on the board as being a "B" player, scratch that and change it to a "D" player cause I can't play a lick, according to this jacka$$ ( I don't want to mislead any fellow CCB'rs).

03-22-2002, 03:28 AM
From what you describe, classless stuff. Disregard (easier said than done). Continue to pursue improvement as you see fit.----Marty

03-22-2002, 03:31 AM
Scott, it's a tradeoff. In return for devoting a good portion of our lives to reap the rewards of this silly game, we accept our surroundings. It's sad, but for every truly good person we meet in the poolroom, there's probably five that we can do without. The best we can do is talk to the one and ignore the five.

Why someone would say this to you is a mystery, though. Have you ever had any previous altercations with him? Was there at least the possibility that he was joking? I know that it sounds like a really cruel joke, and I'm not accounting for his taste. But I've heard similar things that were meant as no more than a one-liner: "Let's play a set, loser kills himself." "If I were you, I'd take two years off, and then quit altogether." blah blah blah.

So... try not to take these things to heart, keep playing hard, and let the fools be damned...

- Steve

jjinfla
03-22-2002, 03:47 AM
With one little line he got into your head completely took over your mind. I would suggest that you never gamble. At least not with him. LOL Jake

Rich R.
03-22-2002, 06:06 AM
You don't say if this guy is a player or not. If he is a railbird, I wouldn't pay any attention to him at all. If he is an average player, I wouldn't any attention to him at all. If he is a very good player, I wouldn't pay any attention to him at all. I guess my best advise is to not pay any attention to him at all. Everybody has their own reason to try to get inside your head. Don't let them do it. Rich R.~~~my head is too crowded for anyone else.

rackmup
03-22-2002, 06:24 AM
Jackasses are animals of labor. Perhaps this particular jackass had been worked extra hard during the course of his day and this was his way of getting back at those of us (you) who don't work as hard.

Ignore the jackass and he will wander back to his rightful place in the pasture, bed down in the dirt and live as jackasses live.

Unless this jackass has a personal beef with you and you fuel it by allowing him to know he is in your head, ignore him. Jackasses all go away eventually.

Ken (former jackass, currently in "JAA" (JackAssesAnonymous)

03-22-2002, 06:28 AM
The first thing that comes to my mind is are you playing to impress this guy or other "A" players,or for the enjoyment it gives YOU!.A few other thoughts 1- Maybe he saw some improvement in your game and wants to rattle you because he feels threatened.2-Maybe youre getting better and it was an "initiation" type shot at you like to say welcome to the club.3-Maybe he's just a Dikweed!.4-Dont be so sensitive it does'nt gamble well.5-Maybe you just played like crap that particular set and shoulda said so?.....anyway i could go on forever....everyone in the poolrooms i grew up in took the shots from the other guys at one time or another.Its part of the seasoning thing.....keep your chin up(and the middle finger)....Later Gerry

CarolNYC
03-22-2002, 06:39 AM
Hey Scott,
Was this a money match? Who the hell were the guys with the stop watches? Was it even up?I think you did GREAT-13-11-whats wrong with that? In my opinion, this "A" player has no class or respect! The one thing I would NEVER do is comment badly to another players play! You should have asked him "Wheres your gavel?"What an idiot! You keep going strong-this A player is jealous of you!
Carol~Thinks A player wishes he was Scott!:)

stickman
03-22-2002, 10:02 AM
If it was someone that I really respected, it would bother me. The thing is, I don't respect idiots like this. The one's I respect are the ones that encourage me and offer positive reinforcement. This guy doesn't sound like he should occupy space in your mind. I was bothered by a similar type person once, and was discussing it with a wise older man I respected. He asked me if I would be upset if I saw a cow in a pasture acting like a cow. I scratched my head a little and told him "No". He replied, "Then why do you let it upset you when a jacka$$ acts like a jacka$$?"

Something to think about. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

03-22-2002, 10:16 AM
Hey Scott,

tell him he's #1(with the universal hand signal)! Seriously, do you really value the opinion of an azzh0le? I know this much, if he's a player, he will be in the receiving position one day and who know's, you may be there to enjoy it. I live in the NJ/NY metro area and I think we have plenty of type A personalities. So to borrow a local saying- "When in doubt, knock 'em the F out."
Keep hittin em straight.

TomBrooklyn
03-22-2002, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eric:</font><hr> So to borrow a local saying- "When in doubt, knock 'em out."<hr></blockquote>Knock him out and put him in the bathroom. Thats what Carol-NYC does, although I'm not sure why she puts them in the bathroom. I guess it's to hide them.

03-22-2002, 11:03 AM
It's probable to get em out of the way. Who wants to trip over em?

Q-guy
03-22-2002, 11:04 AM
Are you really sure he meant it that way? That is a common thing said around poolrooms when someone plays as especially bad set. Nothing is usually meant by it. I have a friend that never says hello. The first thing he says is "hay, make a game I want to bet against you." It is just something people say. I would not read to much into it.

cheesemouse
03-22-2002, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>He asked me if I would be upset if I saw a cow in a pasture acting like a cow.<hr></blockquote>
I have never heard it expressed this way but it works for me. When I walk thru the portals and enter what I know to be the realm of the pool players I switch to survival mode which alerts me to body language in assessing all situations. I think the term 'wolfing' came from studying a pack of dogs. This guy was a fringe dog who didn't have the skills yet, he was just trying something he saw some other dog do out (like buying a used car; you gotta do some tire kicking). If you are truely affected by this dog then maybe he is more skilled than I suspect. I would have protected my piece of meat. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

03-22-2002, 12:24 PM
Or you could have said, "And if I were as ugly as you I'd commit suicide right now!"

RedH &lt;----- Knows you catch more flies with honey than you with vinegar

Rod
03-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Scott, I wouldn't give that stuff a second thought. I'll bet the guy was pulling your chain. Every one plays bad at times or makes mistakes they don't normally make, and sometimes it's not your day.
The next time you see him dog his brains out, be sure to rub it in. My friends kid around with one liners at times, but it's all in fun. We just have to step back and laugh at ourselves sometimes, and take time to smell the roses!

03-22-2002, 01:07 PM
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that 95% of the serious players you meet in Pool halls are completely worthless pieces of crap.

I myself have had a couple incidents like yours happen to me.

Sure, there are some good people you will meet in Pool. My best friends and my last girlfriend all come from that remaining 5% of people in Pool that are okay.

But your story doesn't surprise me. It doesn't surprise me at all.

P.S.
Check my response to the "Mr. Tips" thread. My way of dealing with this kind of crap is the Samuel L. Jackson approach from "Pulp Fiction": "I DON'T REMEMBER ASKING YOU A G**D***ED THING!"

I actually have used a similar approach before. Seriously. Was playing in a tournament up here in Seattle, and one of the good players in this area (who also happens to be a completely worthless sack of garbage) laughed at me for missing an easy shot. I went and "talked" to him after the match. Told him to try GETTING A JOB and playing this game seriously, to see how hard it is.

MikeM
03-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Scott,

I would have said "Good thing I'm not a quitter like you" and moved on. Maybe throw up a finger or end with A-Hole, but just forget about him after that. Sounds like you have the right approach to improving. Stick with it and when you beat his a$$, just smile and say............NEXT!

03-22-2002, 01:38 PM
Its no mystery to me. Some people are just completely worthless a**h***es. And there is a disproportionately high percentage of them in Pool.

03-22-2002, 02:27 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. The more I think about it, I am pretty sure he was playing a "psyche job" on me. Probably, like Gerry pointed out, he sees me as a potential threat. There is "a past" with this guy, and I am pretty sure it brought him great joy to see me blow a five game lead to lose the match, which left the door wide open for his low blow.

Hi Carol, when I said "with their stopwatches", I was referring to them judging how well I/we play (clocking my speed). We were playing for Time, which was around 15 bucks.
The guy I was playing (no spot) plays about the same as the "jacka$$".
I am a very competive person. We have all heard "second place is the first loser" well in pool "second is last".
I have pretty much determined now that he is trying to rattle my cage because if I keep my head screwed on right I will drill him, and his only chance is to disrupt me mentally.

P.S. I am a "D" player, so that means I get the last five and the break, and 10-4 and the breaks in 1-hole from all players.... since I suck and all.

cheesemouse
03-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Mike,
You sound like a guy that has never truely entered the sub-culture of pool in America. If you are on the outside looking in or only putting your stick in the pool on occassion I don't think you are being fair in your too broad a brush discription of some of the most interesting dedicated people on the face of the earth. It's not our fault you can't handle the heat. Suck it up big fellow this game ain't for kids.
http://www.elandee.com/gifs/tongued.gif

03-22-2002, 02:44 PM
You sound like someone that knows absolutely nothing about me.

I know many great players very well. Many of those pros you see on ESPN and in Billiards Digest are good friends of mine. When was the last time you went to dinner with 4 champion players (and had one of them buy dinner for you)? Or had a pro champion player stay at your townhouse for the weekend? Or traveled with and roomed with a world champion player while attending one of the biggest open tournaments in existence? Or had one of the top ranked players in the world call you and talk, being bummed out after a sub-par performance? Or hung out in a hotel room with a women's world champion and another pro player (my girlfriend at the time), cooking noodles, practicing Mandarin, and just having a great time? Or had one of the greatest woman players that has ever lived, upon seeing you, jump out of her chair, give you a hug, and then take you out and buy you lunch?

And you know what? Some of the people I just talked about agree with me. When you look at many of the players that don't have jobs, but aren't good enough to really be a "pro", and have to hustle and scrounge for every penny, there are a lot of people that aren't worth being around. And many of those pro's I just talked about agree with me that the kind of behavior we see out of these people is one of the things that keeps Pool from becoming a big-money, respected sport.

Keep your mouth shut about who I am whether or not I can "handle the heat". You know nothing about me.

cheesemouse
03-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Mike,
So you just happen to be in the upper percentile and only attract pool friends who never lowered themselves into that 95% group and still they became champions. Wow, Mike, you better start saving your sweat and bottle those pheromones. I'll market the stuff. We'll call it Elitist Bastards.
No, seriously, mikey get a smaller paint brush is all. That's all I need to know about you for now.

Ralph S.
03-22-2002, 04:19 PM
It sounds to me like you have relatively strong game, but just made a mental error which we all make from time to time. Remember, you had a rather sizable lead, so we know you can play. Go for the jugular next time and good luck.
Ralph S.

CarolNYC
03-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Hey Tom,
Well, first I politely ask them to leave and when they dont, I lock the door and say "NOW YOU CANT LEAVE!" (loves that line!:)-then I "puddem in the bathroom" this way all they can do is hear the breaking of the racks and all the action but not see or be able to say a word!ha ha ha-sometimes isolation can really get to ya LMAO!
love,
Carol

CarolNYC
03-22-2002, 05:40 PM
Hey Scott,
Well, your an "A" player in my book and act like one! Keep up the good work!
Carol~he's lucky I wasnt listening /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
03-22-2002, 06:08 PM
When you get the NEW tour started, just make sure this guy is barred from any event.. even as a spectator..

Cuemage
03-22-2002, 07:51 PM
well spoken stickman...i got over this same type of personality by realizing that those that cannot rise to success have to drag others down in order for them to feel better...

The Cuemage

Barbara
03-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Just blow it off. They want to get into your head and knock your confidence that you're getting back on track with your game. These people aren't worth the time of day.

And they call us women b!tches....

Barbara~~~a player, maybe not that good, but I PLAY....

Drake
03-22-2002, 09:46 PM
So this guy was an "A" player. Does he play pool for a living?? If he does, he was just trying to make you mad where you would play him for money. I really feel sorry for pool players trying to play for a living...but this sort of tactic isn't called for. He's just another A$$H%&amp;*e!!. I don't care how good he plays. It's guys like him that fuel the public's perception of pool.

03-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Scott,
I feel your pain buddy. At least your a$$h*&amp;e jumped on you in a pool room and not on this forum (as happened to me) It always amazes me how these morons are so quick to insult others by pointing to their skill level. Oh my God, the sin of EVER having been a D class player! My theory is that they're witless, and you're too morally upstanding to be attacked in any other manner. Myself, I stopped having battles of wits with unarmed people long ago. Hang in there, most of the other stuff you've been reading is true. Lorri