PDA

View Full Version : Willie's Game....

Yuppie
03-31-2003, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
L.S. Dennis Wrote:
I would be very suspect about beleiving things taken from the book 'Willie's Game' as I found that book to be extremely sugar coated in it's factual information at least where Mosconi was involved.<hr /></blockquote>

Do others have opinions on this book. I'm currently reading it and am quite amazed with the book. It's extremely informative about Willie and the lifestyle of the hustler pool-player back in those days and it's a quick read.

Sugar coated? I have no other information to contrast what Willie says about his own game. So do others know first hand that things aren't as they seem in the book?

JPB
03-31-2003, 02:24 PM
The book has some good information, but it is a puff piece. It revealed very little about Mosconi's life IMO. I re-read it recently and was surprised how little there really was. Very friendly to Mr. Mosconi, which is OK in an autobiography I guess. Not a real memorable book. I remembered little about it from the first time I read it. And have forgotten a lot of it already. It gets a C- on a generous scale.

04-01-2003, 02:40 AM
I enjoyed the book. It was one of the first pool books I had read, and got me interested in learning about the other legends.

Byrne's McGoorty is another interesting book from the perspective of a real character.

Mike

04-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Willies game is a wonderful book, it belongs in every serious pool library. I believe it is now out of print, so you may need to scrounge around to find a copy. Fast Larry

#### leonard
04-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Willie could play!!!! This was told to me by Vern Peterson a midwest poolplayer who played in major tourneys around the late 40/50s. He played Willie 6 times and Willie ran 150 and out 5 of the 6 games. He asked Willie what did he have to do to beat him. Willie told him to practice his lagging which Vern was taken back at. Then Willie said I am running out from break if you win the lag then maybe you can run out.####