PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses and pool

MarkUrsel
03-31-2003, 03:48 PM
I've had gas-permeable rigid lenses since I was a teenager (and that's far too lang ago). Last week, I decided to give soft lenses a try. For everyday stuff, everything about them is better than the hard ones except they are a bit fussier for cleaning and handling.

The problem is that when I play pool, I get a double image when I get right down on a shot. When I play, my chin is on my cue. I looking straight ahead is fine, but when I get down that much and look up to see the target ball, I get a fuzzy ghost/double image about a ball width above the ball.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Anyone know how to cure it? I tried heavy drinking...it didn't help...at least I don't think it did...I don't remember. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

L.S. Dennis
03-31-2003, 04:18 PM
I use contacts while playing too and never encountered the problem you're having. I was useing special sport glasses made for pool before and I like the contacts much better.

Don't know what to suggest for you, keep experimenting.

Barbara
03-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Mark,

I have to assume that since you're wearing gas-perms you're doing so because of astigmitism. I have severe astigimatism and soft lenses are not an option, unless I have them specially made for me and they cost a small fortune.

Why not just wear your gas perms when you're shooting and the soft lenses elsewhere?

Barbara

03-31-2003, 05:07 PM
Talk to your optometrist - maybe your lenses are a bit too loose fitting and when you shift your eyes to look at the ball it throws the lens off-center (so your not looking through the optical zone of the lens)
- Bryan Mc

9 Ball Girl
03-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Hey Mark. I wear gas perms 'cause I have an astigmatism. It took me a while to get used to them since I've never had to wear contacts. It made a world of a difference. BTW, hard lenses are much better than soft lenses. Do the hard ones bother you? Maybe you can do what they call a piggyback. It may be cumbersome but it's when you wear hard lenses on top of soft lenses so that you don't feel the hard ones as much. That's something that's done when you have constant dry eyes or staining as they call it. Ask your doc.

03-31-2003, 08:43 PM
Sounds like you're drying out. Keep a little bottle of re-wetting drops with you. Hope it helps!

04-01-2003, 02:35 AM
bryan_mc
[ QUOTE ]
maybe your lenses are a bit too loose fitting and when you shift your eyes to look at the ball it throws the lens off-center (so your not looking through the optical zone of the lens) <hr /></blockquote>

Also, if you put them in your eyes backwards, they will slide around a lot. I don't know if this is the case, but sometimes I will be in a hurry in the morning and throw my contacts in, then a few minutes later when I am more awake and conscious- I feel them moving around a lot.

Man, I hate 9 am classes.....

Mike

Torsten
04-01-2003, 06:32 AM
I shortly switched from hard to soft lenses. It takes some time to adjust. After a week or two you will have a better vision.
Regards
Torsten

MarkUrsel
04-01-2003, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not just wear your gas perms when you're shooting and the soft lenses elsewhere? <hr /></blockquote>
Barbara, That's exactly what I did during this past week - except for the first time of course. I'd prefer to have the soft ones work, however!

[ QUOTE ]
Talk to your optometrist - maybe your lenses are a bit too loose fitting and when you shift your eyes to look at the ball it throws the lens off-center (so your not looking through the optical zone of the lens)
<hr /></blockquote>
Bryan, I'm going to do that this afternoon, thanks for the suggestion.

[ QUOTE ]
It may be cumbersome but it's when you wear hard lenses on top of soft lenses so that you don't feel the hard ones as much. <hr /></blockquote>
9 Ball Girl, That just sounds painful! The problem with the hard ones is just a comfort issue. The soft ones handle dust much better and are certainly more comfortable. If you've ever had a bus blow by you when you're walking on the sidewalk, and you catch a faceful of dust, with the soft ones, it's not nice, with the hard ones, it's excruciating.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if you put them in your eyes backwards, they will slide around a lot. <hr /></blockquote>
Mike, I did check that, and no, they're not backwards, but they do seem to move. I don't think that's right, so I'll talk to the doc about that.
[ QUOTE ]
I shortly switched from hard to soft lenses. It takes some time to adjust. After a week or two you will have a better vision. <hr /></blockquote>
Torsten, thanks, I'll try not to be too impatient. And that REALLY goes against how I am!

Thanks to all!