PDA

View Full Version : Staying down

Hopster
03-31-2003, 04:46 PM
last week i was playing and a guy i know said to me i got to stop jumping up so fast on my shots. I really didnt pay any attention till the next day when i went to play with my wife and we started reminding each other to stay down for the whole shot. What a difference it made. She was making balls that she normally missed and i was doing really good myself. Its amazing the things you dont notice till someone tells you. I still find it a little hard to understand why its so important to stay down for the whole shot but im going to pay more attention from now on. I guess its just a good habit to stay in and not take for granted.
Anyone have any comments on this ?

bluewolf
03-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Follow through, accuracy, diagnostics.

Laura

Karatemom
03-31-2003, 06:06 PM
IMO, this is a common occurrence that most players don't realize until it is pointed out to them. We've got a girl on our team that jumps up after her stroke all the time. One of the best things I would highly recommend is, if available, videotape yourself shooting. It is amazing the little things that "jump" out at you that can be altered.

JMHO,

Heide ~ learned the hard way from CC

socrates
03-31-2003, 06:15 PM
Here is an item that was recently taught to me and that I have found to be of benefit. While I felt I was staying down properly there was still an opportunity for improvement.

Please note the following is to occur after your freeze on the follow through coming to a fluid finish. Then make standing up after the shot a two step process.

1. Just lift your bridge hand and elbow off of the table.

2. After your bridge hand and elbow come off the table and are suspended in the air say six inches to a foot or so off of the table THEN raise your back and body off of the shot.

The point is do not raise your bridge hand, elbow and body off of the shot in the same movement.

This took me about three months to incorporate into something that occurs without thinking about it. It appears to me that the benefits are that it not only helps you stay down on the shot but prevents that springboard jumping up action that can occur when we do not stay down properly.

I might suggest that, on most shots, if you are reaching for the chalk before the balls come to rest you are not staying down on the shot.

In any event I have found the above to be beneficial.

socrates
03-31-2003, 06:22 PM
PS

Perhaps HOPster is not such a good moniker for someone trying to stay down on the shot.

Just kidding of course - accountant humor.

John G
03-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Hopster, the problem with jumping up, is it leads to upper body movement in ones stroke. Ideally on your final stroke nothing should move except from the elbow down until the shot has completed. I call it posting the shot. If you'll notice in every sport that has a delivery ( except boxing /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) posting or staying still is perhaps more essential then all the preceeding movements.

We all have a tendency to pull, wobble, twist etc.. Thats why it's so fundamentaly important to stay down during and after the shot. evan if for only a moment. If your jumping up on the shot striking the cue ball with consistantcy and accuracy is highly improbable. Because not only are we going up but also sideways.

When you pull the trigger other then your forarm down, nothing should move but your heart. Good luck, John G /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TomBrooklyn
03-31-2003, 06:51 PM
Is it helful to stay down until the object ball is pocketed and the cue ball stop rolling?

bluewolf
03-31-2003, 07:02 PM
I stay down until the ob is in the pocket and long enough after that to observe my freeze..

Laura

Hopster
03-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Hopster, the problem with jumping up, is it leads to upper body movement in ones stroke. Ideally on your final stroke nothing should move except from the elbow down until the shot has completed. I call it posting the shot. <--John G

I really had no idea how much of an effect it really had. It seemed like my game picked up dramatically as did my wifes. If it wasnt pointed out to me i would have never noticed. I knew i jumped up on some shots but i figured what difference did it make after i struck the cue ball ? Its how MUCH i did it, i wasnt aware of. And the funny thing is i was watching other players play while i was in the chair and i watched how common it is for people to jump up after the shot and i may be exxagerating here but it seemed like every time i watched someone jump after the shot, the shot was a miss !!
Live and learn.

Hopster
03-31-2003, 07:30 PM
Perhaps HOPster is not such a good moniker for someone trying to stay down on the shot. <--Socrates

I will try to quit HOPPING around so much. lol

Tom_In_Cincy
03-31-2003, 08:02 PM
As long as you stay in position while following thru on your stroke, you will become more consistant.

IMO 'staying down' is very similar to 'keeping your head still' while swinging a golf club. Its not the motion after the contact, its the limited motion during the contact.

Just be consistant after the hit.. and you should be more consistant making the hit.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-31-2003, 08:10 PM
NOT if its a straight in shot with reverse. You'd better lift the cue..

Rod
03-31-2003, 08:25 PM
Hopster,
It is as much a bad habbit as flinching or tightening up the grip on the cue at impact or usually before. From my observation, anxiety wanting to get the shot off or see where it's going and doubt causes both. I think it can be a two part cure many times, not just a matter of staying down. Just something to be aware of.

As a drill shoot a similar shot without looking where the c/b is going, don't peek. Stay fixed and see if you can feel the position. START(
%AN1H5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I o4P4%PQ9O4
%Uc4Z5%VR6D1%WR1D7%XO4H5%Yh5X1%Zd2[0%[g8]6%eC2a6
)END

Or another, START(
%Aj1U9%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DE2R9%EG5T4%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%PQ7U5
%Uq9L9%Vj4T5%WG4W9%XL5Z8%Yn1D2%Zs0K8%eB2a4%_M8Z2%`[0P1%am0C8
)END

The last one stay down and lift your bridge only to let the c/b pass underneath, don't peek. Then lift your body afterwards as Socrates mentioned. It will teach patience and add to your feel for speed and angles. You can shorten the last one to go a short two rails also. Note this is a drill but untill you make staying down a habit it's worth over doing a bit.

Rod

sneakypapi
03-31-2003, 11:31 PM
I found it interesting why people don't stay down when finishing a stroke. I have noticed sometimes in my game I don't always stay down and will look for it to correct this bad habit. Staying down on a shot not only increases a person's chances to pocket a shot, but also helps in the follow through of the stroke which is vital to make balls consistently.

04-01-2003, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Staying down on a shot not only increases a person's chances to pocket a shot, but also helps in the follow through of the stroke which is vital to make balls consistently. <hr /></blockquote>

This is so true.

About a month ago when I was practicing banks, I found that I would jump up immediately after hitting them, to see where the balls were going. I didn't do this for regular shots, because I know that those will go in. As soon as I noticed what I was doing during bank shots, I focused on staying down on them, and my banking game improved dramatically.

Mike

Fred Agnir
04-01-2003, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> last week i was playing and a guy i know said to me i got to stop jumping up so fast on my shots. <hr /></blockquote>Nobody ever mentions my jumping when I make the ball, but it's always mentioned when I miss.

Fred &lt;~~~ thinks jumping is the effect, not the cause

04-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Up jumped the devil has ruined many shots, a good way to practice is be sure your weight is not forward, if you balance your weight 50/50 between your feet, it is harder to come up. In practice, make the shot, hold your bridge hand on the cloth &amp; count l thousand one, 1 thousand two, 1 thousand three, then come up to see the shot, the arrows gone, there is no need to watch it go in to the target. Soon you will begin to stay down in competition and you wont have to count after impact any more.
Fast Larry