PDA

View Full Version : Pros read this board?

sneakypapi
04-01-2003, 12:04 AM
I have noticed that Charlie Williams reads and responds to postings on this board. The question I have is this; how may other pros out there read postings as well? Of course, some will not want to reveal themselves fearing of getting mobbed with questions, but Im sure there are others who would tell us who they are.

Keith McCready
04-01-2003, 05:24 AM
This posting business is new to me. Just learned the search function and realized why some pros may not want to post.

Keith "Earthquake" McCready

TomBrooklyn
04-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Pros have to be a little more careful about what they post Keith, because their posts tend to get scrutinized more closely than average and sometimes some people respond to them in ways that are not particularly appropriate. Of course, sometimes some pros write things that are not particulary appropriate too. Thats why the President of the United States has speech writers. They help keep him from sticking his foot in his mouth. I don't imagine you would have that problem though.

I'm wondering how come you didn't get a part in Pool Hall Junkies. Did they approach you? Were you unable to commit? That would have been cool. What were they thinking when they didn't give you a part?

Deeman
04-01-2003, 07:52 AM
I think most of the pros we see are very helpful and most of us appreciate their input. Fran has given great advice as well as Mark Wilson chipping in on occasion. While Keith has only contributed once or so, it was done with the best of intentions and effect. Most of us understand how vastly talented the pros are and how much they sacrifice to play a sport that gets none of it's proper due or financial rewards. Many of the instructors are pros as well and would probably be better off from a money standpoint by teaching driving lessons. Now that is sad...Try to rub elbows with Tiger Woods or some other sports figure on an internet forum, yeah, right!

I participated in this board a few years ago and I wonder why George Fells is not here posting like he used to! Did he get chased off? I don't know.

I see Keith at a tournament and we talk and he shows me a shot or two. Allen Hopkins will sit down and have a cup of coffee with you. I can get a game with many of the pros if I want to play in a Pro-Am, I can play a little nine ball with Stalev if I have a few bucks to risk. These are real people who have some of the highest hand-eye coordination skills in the world and we have pretty good access to them.

So, if Keith posts here that I should spit in my chalk, I'll probably do it. I played him three times, once in Vegas (he tortured me), in Nashville (he bar-be-qued me) and in California (he just took my cash)....

I would like to see more pros post here as I think this is the best forum on the internet for pool. I also think we need to cut them a little slack as none of them have to do this. Of course, Scott and many of the others don't have to as well. There should also be some sort of reward in terms of respect for their efforts and knowledge.

I don't condone Fast Larry type posts and I am sure he doesn't care what I think. In the end, it it encourages discussion, I am for it. However, when a pro gives us advice and shares his knowledge we should all listen and maybe learn something. If he advertises a little about a pool school he is running, I won't mind. If I have a chance to enrich his income I'll pass it along. Lord knows they are not getting their fair share from our industry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

snipershot
04-01-2003, 08:13 AM
I too would like to see more pros post here, you make a good point on how accessible the pros of this game are when compared to other sports, they don't make big $$ and as a result you don't get very many charismatic players with big egos of themselves (Fast Larry being an exception /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)
The pros around here now share their knowledge with everyone and for that I am very grateful.

DSAPOLIS
04-01-2003, 08:25 AM
I have disappeared from time to time as well, mainly because most of what I say is misinterpreted as "gospel". When asked for advice or instructional advice, I can only pass along what has worked for me and my students in the past. At times, some are expecting a professional player to have the ultimate secret that will somehow magically transform them into a top professional level player. Such a secret does not exist. Several months back, I posted an two articles entitled "10 Good Habits" and "10 Bad Habits". They were suggestions on what to do and what not to do, and were written in general, not specific terms as a guide to help a palyer improve. Some on this board took the offense to both articles, which prompted one poster to respond with a title "You do not know what you are talking about" which turned the thread into a mulititude of subthreads entitled "You do not know what you are talking about". My skin is thicker than most, as I've been around long enough not to care what anybody thinks. I pass along my knowledge free of charge via the internet, those who can get something out of it, appreciate it - those who can't stand what I write, have a right to their opinion, and believe me, I've heard their opinions. My point is, many pros have graced other messageboards in the past and receieved some of the same treatment and they have abandoned the internet due to the repsonses of a few negative people. The negativity is just part of the environment sometimes. I once had a clown post something about me on RSB that accused me of everything under the sun, to include having to do something with the death of a fellow pool player. It was all nonsense, generated to inflict damage upon me and my reputation, and I'd be lying if I said that the poster was unsuccessful. Having gone through that, I can fully understand first hand why some pros would avoid forums such as these.

Kato
04-01-2003, 09:05 AM
My guess is we have no idea how many pros post or lurk on this sight. The last guy I would have expected to see is Keith McCready but heck if I'm not thrilled to death. I tried to watch any one of Keith's matches at the Open last year and I missed every one of 'em. Charlie, Blackjack, Scott, Fran. I welcome the pros, one and all. Heck, I wouldn't know any better any way. Interestingly enough, Keith does things different than Earl but they both get there. What I'm saying is that they probably would offer different advice to reach the same point. I don't think there is a magic formula, I just appreciate the help.

Kato

Wally_in_Cincy
04-01-2003, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DSAPOLIS:</font><hr>
....Several months back, I posted an two articles entitled "10 Good Habits" and "10 Bad Habits". They were suggestions on what to do and what not to do, and were written in general, not specific terms as a guide to help a palyer improve. Some on this board took the offense to both articles, which prompted one poster to respond with a title "You do not know what you are talking about" which turned the thread into a mulititude of subthreads entitled "You do not know what you are talking about.....<hr /></blockquote>

But you'll also recall that guy got flamed so bad he left and hasn't been back /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jimmy Mendoza
04-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey, even us shortstops don't care to post most of the time /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

04-01-2003, 01:03 PM
I agree with Dee Man, it's nice to see pros mingle with the rest of us http://www.tracylyn.com/~ohanasims/osemotes/bow.gif , while others in a different sport won't give you the time of day http://www.tracylyn.com/~ohanasims/osemotes/sob.gif .

The thing about forums is preception. People tend to take things the wrong way at times. I own 3 forums for over 4 years and have seen where preception jumps all over one's thread and fire balls just starts flying accross the forum http://www.tracylyn.com/~ohanasims/osemotes/woa.gif . What I have learned is two things. 1) learn to accept one's opinions and 2) depends on the mood you (the reader) is in, is how you will take things. However, there are times when people are plaine black and white butt heads, but it sure is nice to have the pros here. http://www.tracylyn.com/~ohanasims/osemotes/wewin.gif

*note: emotes are from my forum so I am not stealing someone elses bandwidth LOL

Deeman
04-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Shortstop? Jimmy, are you trying to claim you are only a shortstop? You post here and I'll listen to you all day...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Deeman,
I think George Fels quit posting because of one or all of the following:

1. he only has a 14.4 modem
2. he only has a 28.8 modem.. set to 14.4
3. he has a slow connection and doesn't want to wait
4. he doesn't understand this new forum style and choses to just not post.

OR.. he his puter busted..

Jimmy Mendoza
04-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Thanks for saying that, but the way I've been playing lately I think I'm stretching it calling myself a shortstop. I'd like to be a shortstop, but lately I'm more like just a "stop". /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
04-01-2003, 05:47 PM
Is that your picture in the corner?

Vagabond
04-01-2003, 07:45 PM
I hope u are not offended with my question.If u give me the correct answer then I will take u as real Keith Mccreedy and extend warm wellcome to CCB.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AzHousePro
04-01-2003, 07:51 PM
Vagabond, trust me. It is really Keith. I am sure he can answer any question you have for him.

Mike

Popcorn
04-01-2003, 08:33 PM
If you are Keith, I played you in a tournament when you were pretty young. One of the worst tournaments ever held in the history of pool. Do you remember playing in the tournament held out of doors in a big tent and it was pouring rain outside and blowing in on the tables?

04-01-2003, 08:50 PM
I thought I replied to your question but I don't see it, but yes it's my pic

bell
04-01-2003, 10:42 PM
Keither with the ether. You da man! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith McCready
04-02-2003, 07:08 AM
Is this a post of yours, Popcorn?

"Your story is typical of that type of player. Players like Keith, Ronnie, Bucktooth, and a few more I won't mention may seem colorful to the fans, who think their antics are in some way cool. But watching them from a distance and actually dealing with them is a whole different story. I don't think these loud mouthed Jerk %^&amp; do much good for the sport."

Do you really want to reminisce with a "loud-mouthed jerk"?

Popcorn
04-02-2003, 08:50 AM
Your not at times? If I offended you I apologize, I should maybe not have grouped you with those other guys who can be down right treacherous. You are just a little loud at times. If you tell me where that tournament was though, at least I will know it is you.

Keith McCready
04-02-2003, 01:34 PM
Corn, this is really Keith. Hey-aye! I believe that tournament was down in Florida, if I am not mistaken, in the tents when it was 110 degrees and rain, with your friend, Tony Banks, hey?

MarkUrsel
04-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Keith, did you enjoy making The Color of Money, and what's the top questions you get asked about that movie?

Popcorn
04-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Thats right, around 1978 or 79. Glad to see you posting here, it can be a lot of fun.

TomBrooklyn
04-03-2003, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> I hope u are not offended with my question.<hr /></blockquote>I don't know if Kieth is, but as a regular participant on this forum I am both offended and embarrassed by your question.

Keith McCready
04-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Town begins with the letter "B."

Keith McCready
04-03-2003, 07:04 AM
The question that gets asked most of the time about being in "The Color of Money" is what was Tom Cruise and Paul Newman like, can they really shoot pool in real life, and how much money did I make. There were several pool player character roles with speaking parts that I was considered for, but they ended up giving me the part of Grady Seasons.

Keith McCready
04-03-2003, 07:18 AM
The sport needs a boost in the arm, and the time is ripe. Heard a lot of great things about "Poolhall Junkies." As for me not getting a part, you can look for The Keith McCready Show to play sometime soon at your local neighborhood pool room.

I'm back!

Deeman
04-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Keith,

You are back! Many of us are glad to see that. Welcome to the board. While you have always been a great player, how/why have you started playing at such a high level lately? What is making your game come together so well right now?

Dee

Ken
04-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Keith, I read on another board that you were not sure where to go this weekend. I just want to make sure you are aware that the Joss was rescheduled to Berlin, CT this weekend:

April 5-6
Ultimate Billiards Club
Berlin, Conn. (860) 828-5754

I hope to see you there. Last time you put on a clinic. I regret that I didn't tape that lesson you gave to Alcano in the finals. What are you doing awake at 8 in the morning? You don't have a job, do you?
KenCT

eg8r
04-03-2003, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if Kieth is, but as a regular participant on this forum I am both offended and embarrassed by your question. <hr /></blockquote> Why?

It is nice to know for sure if it is him.

Welcome to the board Keith.

eg8r

Paul_Mon
04-03-2003, 08:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Keith,

You are back! Many of us are glad to see that. Welcome to the board. While you have always been a great player, how/why have you started playing at such a high level lately? What is making your game come together so well right now?

Dee <hr /></blockquote>

Based on my observations in Rochester over the weekend it's obvious why Keith is playing so well. His relationship with a wonderful lady has rejuvenated him. I'm not sure when Jennie came into his life but Keith and Jennie seem to truly compliment each other.

Paul~~~ain't love grand

Kato
04-03-2003, 08:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> Keith,

You are back! Many of us are glad to see that. Welcome to the board. While you have always been a great player, how/why have you started playing at such a high level lately? What is making your game come together so well right now<hr /></blockquote>

I was thinking the same thing. In track or baseball or football they'd accuse you of being on steriods /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif For some reason, I don't think that's applicable here.

Kato~~~looking forward to the Keith McCready show.

thecardman
04-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Keith

Quick question for you. Do you intend trying to make it into the World Championships in Cardiff, Wales, this July? Even if it means having to travel the week before to Bristol, England, to qualify?

If you do play, all I can say is I am REALLY looking forward to watching you live!

Take care and keep shooting well!

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
04-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Hey Keith, I watched you play at the DCC this year and if you or any others here are interested or will be in the
Ft.Wayne, IN. are in late April, Mickey and Billies is having their annual 9 ball bar table classic on the 26th and 27th. The format is race to 9 double elimination and the calcutta will hit around 20grand. Entry fee is 50 dollars with 20 dollar green fees.

Vagabond
04-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Howdy Keith,

your response assures me that U are real keith(because I know where she lives).Wellcome to CCB.CCb will be benefitted by your presence on this board.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MarkUrsel
04-03-2003, 09:21 PM
So what was Tom Cruise and Paul Newman like, can they really shoot pool in real life, and how much money did you make???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
04-04-2003, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MarkUrsel:</font><hr> So what was Tom Cruise and Paul Newman like, can they really shoot pool in real life, and how much money did you make???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>Oh boy. It's like a nightmare, isn't it?

Fred &lt;~~~ just keeps getting worse and worse...

eg8r
04-04-2003, 07:59 AM
Fred, you must be ashamed. You are stealing that mans thunder. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Predator314
04-04-2003, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Oh boy. It's like a nightmare, isn't it?
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's the best part of the movie!