PDA

View Full Version : A Good Setup To Test For Object Ball Throw

TomBrooklyn
04-01-2003, 04:51 AM
I have thought of a setup to test for throw on a single object ball by a cueball on cut shots. It is a modification of Tom in Cincy's setup to test for throw on two frozen balls.

Diagrammed on the Wei Table, (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html) set up the balls as follows:

START(%Aj5I3%Bg6G4%CJ5O4%Dl2K2%Ei6H3%FK6P1%GK6N8%H h9G4%Ik2J2%JK6M5%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pm5 M6%QA5G0%UD1G7%Vf7G3%Wm1K3%Xh6F0)END

Use your cue stick, represented by the red arrow to line up the balls straight, then remove the last two balls closest to the object ball to be hit. The setup will now look like this:

START(%Aj5I3%Bg6G4%CJ5O4%Dl2K2%E]0O6%FK6P1%GK6N8%H[6O4%Ik3J2%JK6M5%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Po3N 7%QA5G0%UD1G7%Vf7G3%Wp3P2%Xt2T7%eB5a1)END

My calculations predict the three remaining balls in a line will cause the the one ball to contact the two exactly on the contact point that lines up with point A on the rail. Any throw will cause the two ball to move off that line.

I haven't done this yet, as I just thought of it. I will go out on a limb here and predict that with clean, shiny balls like I usually play with, there will be no or an insignificant amount of throw. I will try it as soon as possible, but I'm putting it up here so others can verify if this is a valid test and to experiment with it themselves.

I'll get to the bottom of this.

=Tom

Fred Agnir
04-01-2003, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> The setup will now look like this:

START(%Aj5I3%Bg6G4%CJ5O4%Dl2K2%E]0O6%FK6P1%GK6N8%H[6O4%Ik3J2%JK6M5%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Po3N 7%QA5G0%UD1G7%Vf7G3%Wp3P2%Xt2T7%eB5a1)END

My calculations predict the three remaining balls in a line will cause the the one ball to contact the two exactly on the contact point that lines up with point A on the rail. Any throw will cause the two ball to move off that line.

I haven't done this yet, as I just thought of it<hr /></blockquote>This is the standard proof setup to show that contact induced throw does exist. Vary your speeds. You should see a difference between firm and soft shots.

To absolutely convince yourself that the setup is okay, wet the contact points between the first couple of balls, 4-9-1 (not the 1-ball collision point) to ensure that frozen throw isn't an issue.

Fred

Ross
04-01-2003, 04:48 PM
Tom, here is another set up I came up with to test for collision induced throw (it's like yours, but I use the rail instead of the stick to line up the combo):

START(
%Ab3Z9%B]1Z9%Ec6[0%I\1Z1%Md8[0%Pk3Z6%WD7D7%X\1Z1%[C9F5%\[7Y6
)END

The 2-ball is against the rail and the 2-9 are lined up directly toward the corner pocket. Now remove the two and hit the 3-ball combo which is also frozen to the rail. The 1 ball will hug the rail and will occupy the same place as the 2 did when it hits the 9. If you strike the combo at medium-slow speed, you should find that because of collision induced throw the 9 ball goes 2 or 3 inches to the left of the center of the pocket.

Alfie
04-02-2003, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> here is another set up I came up with to test for collision induced throw (it's like yours, but I use the rail instead of the stick to line up the combo) <hr /></blockquote>

A quick and easy setup, Ross. I like it. But there is a possibility of some SIT contamination due to the rail. I would use an off rail setup like Tom's, perhaps using donuts. Try different shot speeds and cut angles.

(turn on labels)
START(
%Ag6I0%Bh5I9%Cg6O5%Dj0T2%Ei4J8%Fk4W0%Gh8V3%Hj9Q3%I f3I0%Ji8P7
%Kf2U9%Lj1V6%Mj3K7%Nh7P1%Of3O5%Po0X4%Q\2_1
)END

Ross
04-02-2003, 02:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> here is another set up I came up with to test for collision induced throw (it's like yours, but I use the rail instead of the stick to line up the combo) <hr /></blockquote>

A quick and easy setup, Ross. I like it. But there is a possibility of some SIT contamination due to the rail. ...<hr /></blockquote>

Alfie, not sure why you think there will be SIT. The 1 ball will have no side spin when it strikes the 9. It will have top spin only, the amount depending on how far the combo is from the 9 and how hard the combo is struck.

Fred Agnir
04-02-2003, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr>
Alfie, not sure why you think there will be SIT. The 1 ball will have no side spin when it strikes the 9. It will have top spin only, the amount depending on how far the combo is from the 9 and how hard the combo is struck. <hr /></blockquote> It might pick up some spin as it rubs against the cushion.

Fred