PDA

View Full Version : Long Shots Defined

NBC-BOB
04-01-2003, 07:54 AM
When is a shot considered a long shot?
Is it determined by the distance between the cue and object ball? Or the distance from the object ball to the pocket.
When you have a foot between the cue and OB but the ob has to travel 3/4 of the table, do you still consider this a long shot?I was giving some instruction to a friend on straight pool and this question came up, so I thought I would post the question here and get some opinions!

Ken
04-01-2003, 09:16 AM
I would think it should apply only to the distance from the cb to the ob. That is the part of the event that you are in control of and which you execute. You simply observe the path of the ob as it goes toward the pocket. Whether that is a short or long distance effects the precision you need to pocket the ball, but you only execute the part where the cb travels to the ob.
KenCT

Scott Lee
04-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Bob...I always teach that the difficulty of the shot is based on the distance between the CB and OB, not how far the OB is from the pocket. When the CB and OB are a foot apart (as you described in your example), the shot should be a cinch, regardless of how far it is to the pocket. This is because, imo, any flaws or insignificant errors in your stroke will have less effect in that short distance to the OB, than if they were 4 feet or more apart.

Scott Lee

bluewolf
04-01-2003, 09:54 AM
For me, a long shot where the ob is within a diamond of the corner pocket of medium difficulty is way easier than a long shot when the ob is 2 diamonds away from the corner and away from the rail,surrounded by green, regardless of length of the shot.

just my .02

Laura

Carlton31698
04-01-2003, 10:30 AM
One of the hardest straight in long shots I know. What do you think?START(
%I[2O6%Pr7Z7%QB8C0

)END shoot into pocket a with stop

Fred Agnir
04-01-2003, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Carlton31698:</font><hr> shout into pocket a with stop <hr /></blockquote>AAAAAAHHHHH STOP!

Did it work?

Fred

Popcorn
04-01-2003, 02:12 PM
In my opinion any time distance is covered by either the cue ball or the object ball it becomes a long shot. I do find it easier to make a shot where the cue ball is close to the object ball. But either way distance magnifies any small error in aim and the shot can be missed.

eg8r
04-01-2003, 03:13 PM
LOL Fred. You crack me up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now you made him go back and edit his post.

eg8r

Rod
04-01-2003, 04:54 PM
Yep I agree, all it takes is trying to force something with the o/b and c/b close and the pocket across table. Any small mistake is magnified greatly. I've seen shots missed by inches because they forgot or didn't know how far off line it can be thrown.

TomBrooklyn
04-01-2003, 07:12 PM
I consider it a long shot anytime the CB is six or more diamonds from the pocket, regardless of where the OB is. The shot is easier when the OB is either close to the CB or close to the pocket; it seems the hardest to me when the OB lies about 5/8 of the distance between the CB and the pocket.

bigbro6060
04-01-2003, 08:17 PM
to me Long shots can only be found on a snooker table /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
04-01-2003, 08:23 PM
I have had it show up playing straight pool. You are behind the rack and end up having to shoot a ball at the far end corner pocket. It is tough if you are only a few inches from the object ball. It is a hard shot to hit. I have missed that shot so many times.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CI8N4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JM6L1
%KJ5P7%LK8K2%MJ3T5%NI4R6%OC8O3%PF8P9%Wp6Z2%XJ2R7
)END

04-02-2003, 03:31 AM
Doing the math, in a for-instance straight-in shot where the OB is 2 feet from the pocket and the CB is 5 feet from the OB, the accuracy at the CB is the same as a shot where the OB is 5 feet from the pocket and the OB is 2 feet from the CB. In both cases the angle of the CB must be within .1 degree of a center pocket shot.

04-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Tell me what you think is a short shot, then I can tell you what a long shot is? Wonder Dog....