PDA

View Full Version : Position when Object Ball is in Jaws of Pocket

bigbro6060
04-01-2003, 07:45 PM
It's so easy to stuff up position when you have the object ball right in the jaws of the pocket. In Tactical eightball matches where you cover pockets, this happens frequently

any tips?

I find i draw 70% on these shots and to ensure i draw at the right angle, i pretend i'm actually pocketing the ball in a imaginary point off the table

cheesemouse
04-01-2003, 09:51 PM
big,

One thing you should always do is go down and look at the ball in the jaws with your eyes right over the top of the ball. You will always get useful information. Your right these shots are very difficult to get presision position from so don't take them for granted....

Tom_In_Cincy
04-01-2003, 09:57 PM
This is one of the 'easy' practice shots that lots of players OVERLOOK.

I like to practice getting shape at different parts of the table by cutting the OB. Or, coming off the rail to hit the OB.

It maybe easy to make, but getting shape is something you have to practice to become confident.

Popcorn
04-01-2003, 10:04 PM
I will go along with that. Take a good look at the ball from close up. You need to know where the ball is in relation to the points of the pocket. This is especially true if you are going rail first to make the ball. Catching the point can mess up the shot and you lose the cue ball.

bigbro6060
04-01-2003, 10:32 PM
thanx for the info guys, yeah different pocket cuts does definitely make a difference

I will have to explore the rail first option, have to admit i haven't experimented much with this

cheers

Rod
04-01-2003, 10:55 PM
I'll go along with the other good advice and add overspin is your worst enemy if you hit the ball fat. Aiming thinner on the o/b is the obvious solution. Treat the shot like any other cut shot. If you need to bring the c/b back down table aim like so, START(
%AC9C8%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DK2P4%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HL4P4%I L7O4%Jn6O4
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OK3Q1%Pg9V9%QC8I1%RE7H2%U C9E4%VD5I3
%WD6E6%XF2H2%Yf9F3%ZC9D5
)END line a is correct, line b is to fat and overspin will kill the c/b. Aim is critical, you can vary angles if not hit to fat by using low. I'm not talking about draw, just enough low so the cueball turns over down table and kills most of the overspin. Got to experiment, it may well be the most under rated shot in pool.

Rod

NH_Steve
04-02-2003, 07:01 AM
Two keys to position off a hanger:

1) Even though you don't need an accurate hit to make the ball, you still need an accurate hit to get accurate position -- many players err by carelessly pocketing the ball, thereby ending up with careless position. Tip: If a half ball hit gets you a suitable angle for position, use that, because it has the greatest margin of error in achieving position.

2) Remember the object ball, by virtue of hanging in the pocket, is essentially nearly 'on the rail', so the cue ball will have the same kind of reactions off the rail similar to bank shots with the object ball close to the rail -- meaning high English on a thick hit will become reverse as it strikes the rail ("high karate" -- spoken by Danny Diliberto). Unless you are trying to harness that abrupt curving/cueball dying behavior -- stay away from top English on thick hits! Thicker hits and draw will get position on the near end of the table -- thinner hits and English will get position on the far end.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Bro,

This is one of the few things on the pool table that I am actually good at /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr>One thing you should always do is go down and look at the ball in the jaws with your eyes right over the top of the ball. You will always get useful information. <hr /></blockquote>

Good advice. You can cheat the pocket big time to get position.

As stated by others, top spin will kill the CB on the rail, draw will cause it to come off the rail with speed.

By all means, if you can, get Bert Kinister's tape "It's a Hanger". It's got some really good stuff on it. (Does Oz use the same videotape format as the US?)

HTH,

Wally~~practices hangers

cycopath
04-02-2003, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>(Does Oz use the same videotape format as the US?)
<hr /></blockquote>No.