PDA

View Full Version : Some people can't grow up (re chat)

03-22-2002, 08:44 AM
well, someone asked for chat, so I turned the chat server back on. Over the last 24 hours, someone (or some people) decided to try to attack the network through that server. Based on the firewall's results, I'd have to say it was a "script kiddie" someone that can't even write their own code to try to hack a system, but go out on the web and find tools written by other people to try to use brute force to break in.

Due to the actions of this person (or people), the chat server at pooltournamentcentral is now offline permanently. It is a true shame that people feel the need to be destructive to others who are only trying to help the community in general.

With regrets,
Jay M

Rich R.
03-22-2002, 08:50 AM
I'm not a chat room type person, but I'm sure this will be a loss to many others. Please don't let a few idiots deter you Jay. Your continued efforts to serve the pool community are appreciated by many of us. Rich R.

Chris Cass
03-22-2002, 09:11 AM
Hey Jay,
Doesn't surprise me. Someone gave me a virus I've been dealing with too. It's called Batram something. It was recognized by the system as Kernel32. I've had to spend 4hrs with tech support rebuilding my hard drive. We'll not me personally but anyway. I have this firewall thing also. Still I get port scan messages when on AOL. Especially on this board. Got 2 already in 3 min.

I don't understand why they would give me such a personal thing. This thing hides itself, creates another file and logs my key strokes. Thanks for trying and sorry to here about the chat room.

Well, gotta go. On my way to MN.
C.C.

Jay M
03-22-2002, 09:16 AM
unfortunately this wasn't 1 or 2 attacks it was literally hundreds of them, all done systematically and attacking that server in the way that makes it impossible for me to reopen the chat without opening the network to the same types of exploits.

Jay M

TomBrooklyn
03-22-2002, 10:21 AM
Hi Jay:
Sorry to hear about your network being attacked. Are you using a hardware firewall router and a software firewall behind it, or does operating a chat room require you to put the server on the DMZ port?

I think there may be a lot of hackers/virus spreaders on Mirc. I picked up a couple of viruses a couple of months ago: one definately from Mirc, and the other I think from Mirc; but McAfee ActiveShield found them and squashed 'em.

heater451
03-22-2002, 10:57 AM
Too bad about the chat, Jay--I had forgotten how addictive the things are, until last night/this morning, when you had it up.

You know, I can actually understand how someone might want to get into a system, just to nose around---even if all they find is email, and your pictures of the family vacation.

Beyond that, things like cracking a system for the purpose of dropping a root kit, overtaking a machine, and using it in a DoS attack, are just wrong.

I would like to blame someone, like parents, for not instilling (or should that be installing)any sense of respect into their kids. However, I'm sure there are adults that do a lot of this stuff too--then again, mayby their parents are to blame.

In any case, we shouldn't have to really blame anyone, if we had the tools to correct either the behavior of others, or mount and offensive-defense, via a technological or legal medium.

Tommy_Davidson
03-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Jay,did this happen before or since we talked in the chat room early this morning?

Patrick
03-22-2002, 01:39 PM
Someone sent me many e-mails with viruses and someone hacked my sites.

Patrick

03-22-2002, 01:42 PM
Patrick wrote:

"Someone sent me many e-mails with viruses and someone hacked my sites."

Shocking.

- Steve

03-22-2002, 01:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Steve_Lipsky:</font><hr> Patrick wrote:

"Someone sent me many e-mails with viruses and someone hacked my sites."

Shocking.

- Steve <hr></blockquote>
Steve,

You're killing me, Man!

03-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Actually, I thought the little Vulcan would have a solution for that stuff too! Live long and perspire!

Cuemage
03-22-2002, 07:14 PM
Jay, what an arse this person is...Is there no way to address the problem without givin in?
I like chat rooms...let's not give in if there are alternatives

The Cuemage

Rod
03-22-2002, 08:10 PM
Jay I'm sorry that happened, I was going to drop in for a visit last night. It never ceases to amaze me what people do. I read some time ago about the attacks at GRC.com and it turns out he was 13 years old. This was not a script kiddie. Not that we will ever know, but I wonder if these kids parents ever monitor their time spent on the web?
I wasn't there very often but I enjoyed my time, and do appreciate what you did and your efforts.
BTW, How is Howie? I haven't seen his name here in a while, I hope everything is going well for him. Tell him he's got the 7 that will get a rise!! lol

TomBrooklyn
03-22-2002, 08:33 PM
Howie is absorbed in college basketball. Start a thread on March Madness and maybe he will comment. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif