PDA

View Full Version : New Cue advice

Singlemalt
04-02-2003, 09:22 AM
I am looking to buy a new cue and am willing to spend some good $$$ for a really great one. I have heard that the new Schon cues are not what they were years ago. Is this true??

What is considered the best prodcution cue and best custom at this time?

Predator314
04-02-2003, 10:00 AM
My favorite production cue is a Predator. Predators have a love/hate relationship throughout the billiards community.

My advice is to shoot with as many cues as possible to see which one(s) you like. I think Seybert's (http://www.seyberts.com) has a return policy where you can order a cue and send it back within a certain amount of time (even if you have chalked it). You might want to check with them.

Deeman
04-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Singlemalt,

A lot of things are not what they were years ago. However, my Schon is only a few years old and is my all time favorite cue and I have and do still own a quite a few. I hit a newer one a few weeks ago and it seemed just fine to me. I think almost any of the cues that are made today are just fine. In truth, it's all personal preference and the feel you get when you hit with it.

Perk
04-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Well, IMO if you are only looking for the price of a cue, then you may be buying one for the wrong reasons. Production cues can hit extremely well. It is a preference, but if you are buying the cue based on the $$$, it sounds like you just want everyone to notice what kinda cue you hold.

To help with your question directly, I believe that Predators/Schons right now are two of the best production cues around. I cannot vouch for either as far as their "High" end cues are concerned, but I know from experience that their lower end cues are very well built. Either choice would work.

<--not ment to affend ya with my opinions, I just cant see spending a "Grand" on a production cue. I would be happy with my < 500.00 production cues. If I had the money to spend, I would go custom to add class and style along with quality!

Carlton31698
04-02-2003, 11:42 AM
If money is not a problem look at some of the custom cue makers. You can have a cue made to play like you like. Iím sure that you can get a list of very good cue makers from the members of this board. Make sure you check out whatever kind of cue you buy. You need to be happy with the way it plays, and looks. I play with a Joe Ezel Custom cue, and love it. Here is some advice on buying custom cues at http://pub29.ezboard.com/fmississippibilliardsfrm5.showMessage?topicID=46.t opic
Check it out if you have time.

As far as production cues there are a lot of good brands it would be hard to call one the best. Try them until you find one you like.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UWPoolGod
04-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Very very true...you need to hit with the cue first before you buy. I was thinking of buying one of a custom makers cues, then I had the opportunity to hit with one before buying. It did not play to my expectations, so I didn't purchase one. However I just hit with a local makers cue and loved it. He is now in the process of building me one. Different joints/shafts/woods play different, so try at least several before you choose.

Todd Speakman

JPB
04-02-2003, 12:48 PM
If you want a really great cue, go custom. Production cues are just that, no matter how much they cost. Get something you will have as your own. Made to your specs with a design you like. So research custom makers and find one. The only drawback is that you won't get to hit with a custom cue probably. Maybe you know someone with one, etc..., but you'll probably find a custom that you are interested in that you can't readily try out. You will have to find a cue that you like. There have been various threads on here about people's custom cues. We all have different preferences. I posted recently about the one I had made and am very happy with. Others have done the same. But the people who post shy away from saying theirs is the absolute best. I really like my custom cue, but I have not played with custom cues except for mine. Is it the best? All I can say is that I like it and am happy with it. So figure out what you like and what you want in a cue and find a cuemaker who can get you one. Clearly though, the pride of ownership on a custom is much higher than for a production, at least for me. Having a fine cue that is unique to you is nice. Even if it's less expensive than a given production cue. Go custom.

rod in atlanta
04-02-2003, 12:59 PM
The other day, I received a Predator SPJWU that I ordered last week, and I love it. I played an APA match yesterday with it and lost--probably due to not being adjusted to it just yet. I love the feel and hit that it has. I had a great cue before, but I'm definitely glad I finally went ahead and bought my Predator. Definitely try one out if you have the chance.

Good luck,
rod in atlanta

Rod
04-02-2003, 01:14 PM
You need to play with a few different ones to see what you like. The balance point and joints etc differ between cue makers. It really doesn't make any difference what others like because your the one that has to play with it. Most manufacturers and cuemakers produce a well made cue. Schon, Pechauer and Joss come to mind and there shaft taper will be different. Do you know what kind of shaft taper you like or balance point and weight?

JayCee
04-02-2003, 02:06 PM
rod in atlanta, I too play in the APA league in the Metro-Atlanta area. Which pool room do you play at? Email me at t_universal@yahoo.com if you'd be interested in getting together to play some.

Until next time,

JayCee

Rip
04-02-2003, 06:43 PM
Singlemalt, in order to make room for a couple of new custom cues, I'm selling a Schon CX-02 that's in perfect shape for a reasonable price. It comes with a Schon shaft with ivory ferrule and Moori M tip. No dings and very straight.

I also have a matching Predator shaft for this cue with a Moori MH tip. The Predator shaft comes with a very sporty set of Predator joint protectors and also has no dings.

Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll email you photos ('cause we can't use the CCB to sell stuff)
Regards, Rip~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bluewolf
04-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Blackheart makes a great custom cue. It is middle balanced. According to scruggs, his are front balanced. Predator is back balanced. Meucci seems more mid balanced when I picked it up.

Like others have said, it depends on what you are looking for. There are some fine production cues if you need to get one soon. Custom cues usually require a wait.

Laura

04-04-2003, 07:15 PM
lEARN TO PLAY ON ALL FOURS WITH YOUR NOSE AND PAWS, THEN YOU DONT NEED NO CUE, I SAVE A FORTUNE DOING THAT. WONDER DOG.....

04-05-2003, 01:35 AM
There are some great prices on cues here. pool and dart depot (http://www.poolanddartdepot.com)

Irish
04-05-2003, 01:36 AM
If you are looking for a great hitting custom made cue that will likely raise in value quite alot over time give me an Email at Lyonspride@shaw.ca If you are willing to spend a fair bit you can get an amazing hitting and extremely unique cue.